Best of Both Worlds: The Daring Cliffhanger

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by TrekToday, Jul 6, 2015.

1. TrekToday

TrekToday Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Those watching Star Trek: The Next Generation back in June of 1990 will never forget the cliffhanger that had them on the edge of their seats until the second part aired in late September. The Best of Both Worlds brought The Next Generation out from behind the shadows of James T. Kirk and the original […]

More...

2. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the UK, we didn't have much of a cliffhanger - it was 1992 and the BBC showed the second part the following week.

3. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

I seem to recall spending the summer making up a 25th and 26th century Starfleet with anti-Borg weaponry as standard along with inter-galactic warp drives. Using busted model kits.

4. Silverman

Silverman Lieutenant Junior Grade

I loved it but disappointed they never brought back Lt. Commander Shelby for any more episodes or movies.

5. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wasn't she Captain Shelby in an episode of DS9?

Just checked, seems she was only mentioned.. pity

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Would it be such a daring cliff-hanger today? 1990 was before we really had the Internetso perhaps there was a bit more of buzz about it? Go back to the an even earlier big cliff-hanger from Dallas, Who shot JR?

Could they get away with those today's when we know who will be in the next season, high chance of the plot being leaked and making it on to the web etc..?

7. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, there was a slightly longer cliffhanger between the CIC Video release of part 1 and 2... both of which came out before BBC2 showed the episodes (season 3 VHS releases was when CIC finally overtook BBC2).

8. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember it well! It was this episode that persuaded me to buy the videos rather than just tape them off the BBC on Wednesdays!
    JB

9. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always thought it would have been interesting that if instead of Captain Janeway, we got Captain Shelby. Or at least the same actress, like we got Tom Locarno.

10. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Best of Both Worlds is one of those 2 part episodes that lives up to its repuation as being some of The Very Best of TNG. And yes the cliffhanger was awesome ... and very memorable! But I seem to be in the minority as far as my not caring too much for Shelby. I was glad she was forgotten about, after her short stint ...