What do people want for the 50th?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Captain Jed R., Oct 27, 2013.

1. Captain Jed R.

Captain Jed R. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The 50th anniversary is in a little under three years if I recall correctly, and I'm curious as to what people want to see for it in terms of film and television Trek. For myself, there's the realistic stuff, and the "crazy fanboy" stuff.

On the more realistic scale of things, do people think a new TV series is likely? I think they've got time to, provided they start now, and rumours abound as usual. I think the most likely outcome is something Abramsverse in origin, or we could see something totally new. I doubt "Prime" universe is possible anymore. I'd honestly prefer live action to animated, though both have been mooted over the years, but meh. As long as it's decent. In the meantime, there's an Abrams-esque movie to enjoy, which (even if it's not entirely my cup of tea, and they haven't been) will still be a fun action adventure worth seeing.

On the less realistic "crazy fanboy" side of things, I really think it would be awesome to have the current "Abramsverse" crowd meet the proper original Enterprise in a movie - even have it be Enterprise vs Enterprise, that'd be really radical and kind of fit with the "Superman vs Batman" scale of "crazy modern action s-f fantasy stuff". That idea works on the proviso that they don't mess with that 1960's design in the least of course, which I'm not sure I trust this production team to do, but that's just a minor gripe. Alternatively, an Abramsverse re-imagining of the Doomsday machine or something similar (finally getting to see another Connie in this universe, maybe) might be fabulous on an action level, just as a prologue before whatever story they do this time of course and not the entire story (not enough padding in the world to make that work).

Anyway, that's just some stuff I think would be cool. What about you guys?

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I would personally like to see an original series Constitution-class somewhere in the background with a nice beauty shot in the next Abramsverse film.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eh, even though the next movie will be out around or about the 50th anniversary I really hope they don't do anything bigger with it than an easter egg or two in the movie maybe. Anything more will really just take away from the movie itself, which I'm hoping will be refreshingly original and not some tie back, alternate universe, Enterprise-C scenario or other time travel silliness just to force some nostalgia.

DS9 and Voyager could get away with tribute episodes because they were each one episode out a whole season's worth of material. I hope the NuTrek production crew will keep their eye on the ball and turn out something original.

Now an hour long TV special or something would be another story altogether, though I don't see a new series coming out in the next three years.

4. Captain Jed R.

I think the timeframe is fairly possible, all things considered: Agents of SHIELD for example took less than three years to make. I think Trek might be more difficult in some respects, but it could still be done.

5. R. Star

I don't see things at CBS changing in the next couple years to greenlight another Trek series. They seem reluctant enough on re-releasing the BluRays as is. As things stand they'd have to start in the next few months to get a series running by the 50th.

6. David.Blue

David.Blue Commander Red Shirt

My first thought...

Star Trek Renegades turns out greater than anyone expected, gets green-lit and becomes a series. The 50th anniversary comes round and a special two-parter emerges for the event with lots of guest stars, from Patrick Stewart and Michael Dorn to Nana Visitor and others.

7. Captain Jed R.

That would be interesting, definitely, and certainly it's what the people involved in the project want from it. Whether it's actually possible is... unlikely.

8. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Nothing to big. Just something of a nod back to the original series.

This. You could even have it be April's Enterprise, the one that the comics mention.

9. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

What do I want? A new series.

[​IMG]

10. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Just the third Abrams movie, it doesn't have to acknowledge anything, just be out in time.

11. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What I want is a tv miniseries(2-3 days 2 hours each day) crossover event providing a good conclusion to the Berman Era 24th century Trek.

What I hope for is a a 2 hour special retrospective.

What I expect is some CBS repackaging of existing material, and maybe the third nuTrek movie.

12. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Another great film with Kirk and crew. More good novels continuing the adventures of TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT and their successors. Abramsverse novels would be fantastic, although they're extremely unlikely.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'm really hoping that Pocket decides to give us some books set during the TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT series runs. The relaunch books are such a disconnect from what I loved about Star Trek that I've quit reading them for the most part.

14. Sketcher

Sketcher Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I want Chris Pine and Scott Bakula to team up with a previously unknown Enterprise captain ;)

15. Captain Jed R.

It's quite an interesting thing reading these responses, because I'm also on a Doctor Who forum, where expectations/fan demands for what the fiftieth anniversary episode of that show should have are quite different. In fact, some fans have suggested that having all previous incumbents of the title role is more important by far than having a truly great story.

Different shows, different expectations, but all the same, fascinating (:vulcan:) to see and compare.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  16. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Two Enterprises pitted against each other has always appealed, ever since I heard that's what they wanted Generations to be like. Or the poster at any rate.

Naturally you can't just have a whole film about TNG knocking lumps out of the Abramsverse ship, or that iteration making shortwork of an Enterprise from an earlier century. That's not Roddenberry. It has to switch halfway through, and they have to work out it's a setup, then work together.

Then there's the time travel issue. Is it overused or just in need of a fresh approach? Otherwise, it's an underdog tale about old men on a museum piece, outsmarting kids aboard a superior ship. :p

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

That may not be the case. According to offhand mentions in Voyager and screen graphics in Into Darkness, the 23rd century AU photon torpedoes actually have higher yields than their 24th century equivalents.:eek:

18. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

A Prime Universe miniseries would be really nice, with a mixture of established and new characters on one enormous mission. If it worked and people liked it then it could be a way to launch a new series.

There's nothing to say that a Prime Universe TV series and the NuTrek movies can't be ongoing at the same time--surely people are capable of distinguishing between the two.

19. Harbinger

Harbinger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, for one I hope we get another Abrams (albeit without Abrams but his writers, of course) Star Trek movie. For some reason I see that as a 50/50 chance of happening at this point. But, I would not doubt if the movie is released for the 50th anniversary, we will see a cameo by The Shat himself in it.

20. R. Star

Well the 50th anniversary is going to be 2016. The 09 movie's production started in early 2007. ID's production really didn't start until 2011 and they were pushing hard to make the 2013 release. Abrams was a principal factor in the delay given he was hesitant to commit to another movie.

So... if they're going to make a 2016 movie, they'd need to crank out a script next year at least to get going. Abrams may not even want to do this one given he's found himself a better gig in Star Wars anyways.