hi ho Silver, The Lone Ranger rides on....

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 13, 2011.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ .... with werewolves?

Maybe the railroad tycoons are all werewolves.

2. Valin

Valin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^A singing Lone Ranger and railroad tycoon werewolves? They'd have to call it "Hell on Wheels."

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

New trailer
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JgXGbsESUEg[/yt]

Since they are dealing with resurrection, maybe move this to sci-fi

4. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

nah, i see all the resurrection stuff as just metaphor.

5. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the new trailer, it reveals more about the characters and why anyone would be interested in their story. The other one was too much about railroads, who gives a flip.

Betcha the resurrection stuff is no metaphor. Metaphors are for artsy fartsy movies, a big summer franchise film will be more literal and use it as the last minute plot twist that changes everything.

But until official, let's keep the thread here.

6. nvek86

nvek86 Commander Red Shirt

There were rumours about some super-natural stuff in the film originally, but the script has been rewritten since, so maybe it was cut.
    As for the trailer: It looks cool and Verbinski showed with Rango what he can do with a western. I'm looking forward to it.

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Eh, we'll see. I'm tired of this over-the-top action crap. And after seeing Depp's Dark Shadows, I am far less interested in his Lone Ranger.

8. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I wonder if Depp was paid by the word. Removing articles from his lines probably saved production quite a few thousand dollars.

9. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

I read only partway through the thread, so forgive me if this has already been said, but... If Depp sincerely wants to salute Native Americans, maybe he should cast a Native actor as Tonto, instead of playing the role himself.

10. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I don't think Depp is in charge of casting, fwiw.

11. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

He's part Native American. But, yeah. Perhaps an actor who is MORE full blooded than he...

That said, how Tonto speaks in the trailer, is that really a salute to Native Americans? Not so sure.

12. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The movie wouldn't have been made with Depp hadn't had a major role in it, so he'd have to be playing The Lone Ranger if he wanted a real Native American to play Tonto. I like this setup better, with The Lone Ranger being much younger than Tonto, who can be more of a mentor figure now. Depp's too old to play the greenhorn.

And yeah, the way he talks is a bit cringeworthy isn't it? Youch. But the majority of moviegoers for this movie, or any big Hollywood movie nowadays, aren't Americans and many will be reading subtitles and wouldn't get that there's something wrong with the way Depp is speaking, so they'll happily watch this thing without knowing or caring about any PC issues.

13. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, who in their right mind wouldn't want a piece of Jonah Hex's massive success? :p

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Maybe there's more to it, but his matter of his speech and his look in the trailer (based on a white man's fantasy paintings of American Indians, rather than the way any actually dressed) seem a little regressive to me.

I'm not sure how subtitles are going to make a difference, Temis. One assumes they'll replicate Tonto's dialogue, including his matter of speech.

15. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I hope they keep it vague rather than make it explicit that he died. Although the story is similar to the origin story with the exception of that detail.

16. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Huh, I didn't realize that, but you're right - the painter isn't native at all. I'd assumed he was. That of course makes it even worse.

Having seen this full trailer, with that damn bird all over the place, I'm starting to think this could just be a Catwoman-level bomb, with Berry's costume and the bird playing analogous roles. I guess that, if even crap like On Stranger Tides can become a billion-dollar movie, and Alice in Wonderland making a killing, no one at Disney's got the stones to tell Depp not to do that. :vulcan:

17. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

There's always the chance that he actually is just posing as a Native American, too.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    That...seems pretty unlikely.

19. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, okay. I looked online, but apparently not thoroughly enough, 'cause I didn't find anything about his being part Native.

I sure hope not. But he wouldn't be the first.

20. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I'm confused then. You'd instead prefer him to be a genuine Native American but giving a horribly inaccurate and borderline racist portrayal as one, rather than him being a white guy pretending to be what he thought a Native American should be for some unknown reason? Why is the former more preferred than the latter? At least the latter explains why the character is horribly inaccurate and borderline racist. The former just is.