How many reset buttons?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by BruntFCA, Dec 3, 2012.

1. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

In VOY the use of the reset button is something that many fans criticise the show for so I wondered just how many times it was actually used. Some of these are open for interpretation but off the top of my head.

1-Year of Hell
    2-Deadlock
    3-Species 8472- In scorpion they were an aggressive species bent on destroying everything in the galaxy but later "we were just joking"
    4-Mobile Emitter- I'm sure many wont agree but to me one of the interesting things about having a holographic doctor was that he would be stuck in sickbay which could lead to lots of great storys as the Doctor becomes more human but is stuck within the confines of sickbay. The emitter basically reset one of the main characteristics of having a hologram for a crew member, limited mobility.
    5-Chakoty's baby- This is one that has always annoyed me because this could have really made Chakoty more interesting.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm wondering if Janeway would have found him more attractive if it had been his baby.

And you know why I am eternally grateful for the reset button? Because thanks to years and years of reset buttons in Trek I was completely SHOCKED that there was no reset button after Vulcan blew up. I was sitting there in the theater thinking yeah yeah they will go through the black hole and around the sun and whee! Vulcan will be back. And when that did not happen I was absolutely gobsmacked.

Since that's not an emotion that Trek elicits very often I feel I must thank all those years of reset buttons.

3. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

3 more for your list.
    Endgame
    Timeless
    Relativity

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The reset button on Voyager is far more subtle than that.

Every episode, should have had crew bitching and moaning for the next ten episodes, like they do in the day time soaps.

For instance some stupid bastard should have accidentally called Tuvok "Tuvix" in resolutions or Basics, and Neelix should have asked Kes "Why wouldn't you sleep with me when I was Tuvix? It made me very sad." The doctor still should have been learning how to talk and diagnose in False Profits after being rebuilt from a corpse in the Swarm... And Neelix should have still been growing his hair back in Remember after they surgically altered him to look like a Ferengi. In the Q and the Grey Neelix should have asked if he and Kes had really broken up in Warlord? In fair trade the crew should still have been covered in weeping bug bites and rashes from Macrocosm.

Every episode should have dribbled over into the next "just a little" but they didn't.

None of them.

(Well maybe 3 or 4 exceptions.)

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Yeah, and if they didn't have enough energy to replicate coffee they shouldn't have been running the holodeck 24/7. And the Bajoran farmer should have been able to replicate self sealing stembolts. And the borg should have sent more than one cube to the alpha quadrant at a time, or gone back in time in the Delta quadrant before coming to Earth. And some six year old in 2900 should have used his school desk to tell someone what Hitler was planning. This is Star Trek we're talking about.

Don't forget Fury. One more "Everybody plum forgot" time travel episode.

6. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

VOY was ALREADY hiting the reset button with the episode 3! :lol:

7. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    TOS and TNG did this as well, Voyager just gets crap for it because television was changing when it was on the air, and serialized storylines were more common for sci-fi shows.

8. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

No, Voyager deservedly gets crap because it leaned on the reset button like no other Trek show before it or since.

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Because if they didn't, the show would've been over by first season.

10. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Just one :)
    [​IMG]

11. sonak

that's absurd. VOY had far more continuing storylines(B'elanna-Tom, Neelix' jealousy about Kes, Holodoc's growing self-awareness, Seska and the Kazon, Seven of Nine's emerging humanity, the Borg children, etc.) than TOS or TNG ever had. VOY relied LESS on the rest button than those shows, but it still did it pretty often. Again, it just gets more attention for it because it was a nineties sci-fi show, where serialized storylines(B5, X-Files, etc.) were more the norm.

12. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it gets crap for it because having the reset button doesn't really fit the premise of the show. Here's a ship too far from Earth to have a realistic hope of getting back; and yet the ship is usually in tip-top shape no matter what catastrophe has beset it in the previous episode. If the concept was just routine space patrol near Federation space, it wouldn't grate on the audience as much.

13. sonak

yep, that is part of it too. The premise of Voyager makes a rest button more problematic. Especially those episodes where the ship is heavily damaged but is fine next week. In TOS or TNG you can just assume they went to a starbase. It needs some good explanation in Voyager, though.

14. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I don't think people are mad at Voyager for having time travel episodes where the timeline reset at the end.

People are mad for having no continuity between one episode and the next. In The Next Generation no matter how badly the ship is damaged or how low they run on supplies they can dock at the next available starbase and be repaired and restocked. If random security guy #7842 dies they can get him replaced. On Voyager, they can't do that. Damage to the ship should take a long time to repair. They should be low on supplies for more than one episode at a time.

And if you don't have enough energy to replicate coffee you DON'T HAVE ENOUGH ENERGY TO RUN THE HOLODECK.

15. GSnail

GSnail Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Usually, I would disagree with a logic jump like that for rule of fun, but the Holodeck was getting old. It would have been cool to see them enjoying themselves in other ways, I'm sure they did things other than holodecks in the future.

16. teacake

Seems kind of pointless if you're on a starship, though.

The holodeck or a night of Kal-toh, let's see..

17. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Except in a survival situation where power was in very limited supply, the Holodeck should have been a luxury they could not afford. The Holodeck having a separate power supply makes no sense and contradicts what we know about the Holodeck in TNG. Its hard to care about the crew having to ration power, when they can goof off in the Holodeck whenever they want, it takes all the tension out of the situation.

18. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

They clearly said in the second story that holodeck power was noncompatible with the rest of the ships other powersystems which is complete bullshit, considering what we know about fake holodeck science from 21 years of modern trek. Wait? is 1987 - 2005 still regarded as modern, and the new movies are post modern or has the almanac been completely rewritten?

19. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Tuvok could have them doing laps of the ship :) Joy.

20. teacake

Can you imagine how tedious Vulcan holorprograms would be?

I wonder if they even have any recreational ones, that don't serve some ultimately educational or athletic purpose.