Star Trek London - All 5 captains to be there!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by The Janitor, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It won't be a scam. It's just that Shamasters have a history of pissing on anyone who tries to work with them. I suggest you email the organisers of Fedcon in Germany about their experiences of working with Jason Joiner. Fedcon went public with what had happened and made Joiner look very poor indeed. You won't get any response from him if you ask him. It's not something he or Shamasters like to be reminded about. He also dumped on Universal (yes, that big Hollywood film company) and made up a load of rubbish to try and make them look bad over some sort of Serenity trailer screening at LFCC that he'd been trumpeting and of course never happened.

My worry is that Joiner will bale out of ST London about August because he doesn't like being told what to do, leaving Media 10 in the lurch. Hundreds of tickets sold, no show organisation etc etc.

2. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

Gazing: it's SHOWmasters, not shamasters. I think it looks awfully like the good ursine Admiral just has a bee in his bonnet about them - hence the ridiculous gimmicky name.

Adm Bear, the post you quoted was hardly worshipping at Joiner's altar - indeed the author points out that not all SM staff were that polite.

I'm currently typing on a phone so trying to be brief, but I really think if you are worried you should contact CBS rather than trusting a random person on a forum (I include myself in that description) to tell you whether it's a scam or not. For all we know, the admiral is a disgruntled ex-employee. Would very much like links to REPURABLE sites with info Proving what he's saying but I doubt we'll get that - a quick google search on warp 10 convention gives precious little.

3. Admiral Bear

I have no problem with other people's opinions. I have a problem with people who continually defend liars and cheats, and then stamp on people who tell the truth.

Go back to Red Carpet, or should I call it the Shamasters Forum MkII, run by that two faced little Oirish puppet who's got Joiner's hand stuck up his backside. You do know that Joiner's on the phone to him every 5 minutes to get anything he doesn't like removed? And you think you have freedom of speech on there.

Jog on.

4. Admiral Bear

Thankfully I'm not an ex-employee, disgruntled or otherwise.

Here's Warp 10 fourm thread.

http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index.php?showforum=222

5. Jim Gamma

Even so, you'd think there'd be references to it elsewhere…

6. Sagart

Sagart Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks for proving my point.

7. Jim Gamma

I should also note that searching Jason Joiner Showmasters also gives nothing bad. Admiral, if you won't link to a website, would you at least give us a phrase to google to back your theory up?

Edit: just seen what you added to your previous post. Ok, so I get that there wasn't much official info coming, but I don't think that's too unusual, especially in the UK. From the pinned post it looks more like they were trying until last minute to get a guest, and they were fairly upfront and refunded money when forced to cancel.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012
  8. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

A night of passion and whipped cream with Zoe Saldana - that is worth that kind of money.

Scarlett Johansen I'd prefer, but she has never been in Star Trek.

9. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Interesting reading about this - as I know nothing about the convention scene there. But I've found there are some convention organisers better than others. I know that is the case here.

10. carnosoul

carnosoul Ensign Newbie

Having worked with Showmasters, MCM Expo, Creation and numerous other convention organisers in my 10+ years in the business, I can confirm that Admiral Bear is a troll of the highest order. Even my knowledge of The Greatest Show In The Galaxy, even though I'm not involved myself, I know people who are and they are all legit. Sadly AB is a known entity to everyone - both organisers and fans alike.

AB has had multiple usernames on the Showmasters forum, Expo forum, and even a fan-run forum Red Carpet. You can contact any organiser, or even those fans running Red Carpet, and they will have stories to tell. AB is a bitter individual, disillusioned with conventions, and he takes every shot he possibly can. In this case it is at Showmasters and Jason Joiner, but he nearly had legal problems with GSITG after causing problems for them. Also he criticises Creation and the other events too.

Sadly AB has admitted to not attending many events over the years, simply choosing to sit behind his computer and stir things up in every possible way. This twisted approach to conventions has resulted in him forcing fellow fans to turn their backs on him as he clearly has some sort of mental issue. We have been aware of his venomous behaviour for nearly a decade now, and it's highly concerning to everyone involved.

I would suggest with any event - contact the organisers if you need clarification on anything, rather than listening to a bitter, twisted trouble maker. Many convention organisers in the UK run successful events all year round. They are not perfect by a long shot, things can always be improved, and things do go wrong but they look to fix these. The example of Warp 10 may be a good one, but only taken in context - yes, a few things clearly went wrong, but Showmasters/Massive Events have also run Collectormania successfully for 18 events, London Film and Comic Con since 2004, and a good number of successful conventions too (Heroes, Twilight etc). They have simply done what any good organiser does - look at what they did wrong, and aim to improve by associating with a decent media company etc.

2012 is looking to be a fantastic year for events. GSITG is off to an amazing start with the Voyager lineup, and Star Trek London has the potential to be incredible. All convention organisers are having open dialogue with the fans and addressing concerns, and again I would suggest anyone goes direct to them rather than listening to a known troll who only exists online to stir up trouble. Look at what interests you and then make your own decision. I will certainly be attending both and enjoying them, and I hope to meet lots of new fans there too.

Red Carpet Forum (where AB was banned from on numerous occasions): http://redcarpetlite.forumup.co.uk/index.php?mforum=redcarpetlite

Showmasters Forum (for more information on Star Trek London): http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

Greatest Show In The Galaxy: http://www.trebleaceevents.co.uk/events/the-greatest-show-in-the-galaxy.html

11. nacelle

nacelle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

well i hate shamasters too im afraid. Mostly because of the little nazis they have as stewards. Before the incident with one a couple of years ago there was another incident when i was going up to guest and this girl just grabbed my arm as i went past and would not let me go up to the guest. I dont know why or i cant remember. It was probably about 4 or 5 years ago now. Meanwhile the people behind me went up to guest to get autos etc. Was really pissed off with that.
    There treatment of the disabled leaves a lot to be desired also. I have read more than a few complaints about how people in wheelchairs get badly treated.
    Unfortunatly any complaints or bad reports on there forum does get deleted. They dont seem to like critisism.
    Its a shame cause they did used to be good back when klepto was at the shopping centre in milton keynes. Maybe because it was smaller then. They seem to have got too big for their boots. Its just all about the money too them these days. The last klepto i went to was in milton keynes football stadium and i froze to death. Not to mention the guests froze as well! The weather was not too great that weekend.
    The one wizard world big apple con i went to in new york was incredible in comparison. It was so much more friendlier and relaxed. The guests were easier to get to and you didnt have to pay to get into the talks!
    The biggest problem with the galaxy show for me is that they picked the worst dates of the year. There are other things going on that weekend in this country which i would probably choose over it if i wasnt already going out of the country that weekend! The second problem is they picked the worst location possible. Its a four and a half hour drive away so cost of petrol doesnt make it worth it. I cant afford it anyway. Plus the extra costs to get into the talks. The main reason though is my ex lives near peterborough so no way in hell im going near that part of the country.
    Probably wont go to the london one due to the costs involved. Still prefer the vegas convention.

12. carnosoul

carnosoul Ensign Newbie

It can certainly take one bad experience to sour your views completely. I'm the same, and for that reason I stay away from Creation events in the US. I enjoyed a couple of them and then unfortunately came across one loud and brash American steward who was clearly too big for his boots, and I was put off forever.

It's a shame as it does tinge the rest of the company, which is probably unfair, but it's the same whether a convention or a restaurant or anywhere else.

13. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Most Stewards at conventions that I have attened have been perfectly pleasant. I've also been a steward in the past at many conventions. But the showmasters stewards I've meet at some of their events I attended I had no issue with.

14. gazomg

gazomg Commander Commodore

:lol::lol::lol:

15. Admiral Bear

I'd rather see Reese Witherspoon. Rumour is she's a fan.

Referring to Shamasters crew, it was alleged years ago that her one day at Klepto put Jolene Blalock off doing signing events for life. Apparently she was bullied mercilessly by the SM crew "minder" who sat with her all day.

16. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Alice Eve for me - She's actually IN the new film and is from London. So at least that seems more realistic (Ha!).

17. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Considering British FreeSat channel CBS Action, is also a sponsor, and will presumably be filming links, to go before their endless reruns of TOS-R and TNG - you would expect this to be a more than halfway decent event. Or else they wouldn't exactly have anything to put on camera, apart from a sea of disgruntled faces... in ill-fitting costumes, naturally.

V.I.P. tickets worth however many thousand pound, are probably going to end up for winners of a competition they're running nearer the time perhaps?

18. Admiral Bear

The current CBS con ad trailer shown before TNG is nothing more than a few very close up shots, many of them in semi darkness because Shamasters seem not to like having lights, of Brent Spiner and Chase Masterson, and a short interview with Gates McFadden at Klepto. No event attendees were filmed in any detail.

I've no idea what's led CBS to think any more than a few hundred people will be interested in this, especially with the ticket prices and Shamasters bad reputation amongst UK Trek fans and other organisers. It's all really strange. It will do CBS more damage if they film this event and it's two thirds empty.

19. Cakemonster

Cakemonster Ensign Red Shirt

For those of you going and needing to book hotels, I recommend looking into hotels as soon as possible as its been noted on the sm forum that some hotels have already put prices up within the past two days to up to an extra £30 per night. Not sure which hotels but its on here (thread for Destination Star Trek London) http://showmastersonline.com/forums/index.php?showforum=265

20. carnosoul

carnosoul Ensign Newbie

I think you're very mistaken. The passion of Star Trek fans for an event like this is very high, and ticket sales so far are exceeding expectations so far according to Media 10 - not Jason Joiner and so called 'Shamasters' as you call them. Or would you accuse a separate company to be liars by association?

CBS have attended and worked with Showmasters before, so they clearly have an idea of how they work and how the events have run. If there were issues that couldn't be ironed out and fixed, then do you genuinely think CBS would get involved? They must be aware of Warp 10 and whatever else, and yet the people that have actually worked close with them seem to be happy. Strange?

You simply are not willing to give credit where it's due. If Expo do well, you'll find a reason to moan. If GSITG do well, no doubt you'll find something to pick apart about them too. And Showmasters? Well they could put on the best Star Trek event the UK has ever seen, and you would not even acknowledge it. We all know what you're like.

I know nothing will ever change your mind about any convention organiser, as everyone has failed over the past decade. You don't listen to anyone else, and you're more than happy to spend every waking moment bitching to your heart's content. I just think it's an absolute disgrace that there are hard working convention organisers out there - and I'm talking about ALL the main ones - and you want to ruin them all. Perhaps one day you'll look in the mirror and realise something closer to home needs to be fixed.

I just hope no one listens to you or else they would never go to any convention ever again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.