Something I just noticed about WoK

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Dale Sams, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Only two references are made to Marla McGivers. Both indirect. One about being killed by a Ceti Eel, and the other some 55 minutes later:

"I will leave you as you left her, marooned on a dead planet."

Props to the producers for not pounding us over the heads with the exposition hammer.

2. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There was at least one direct reference to Lt. McGivers in the shooting script (and was, presumably, filmed), but this didn't make it into any of the final cut(s) of the movie:

3. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Good thing they cut it.

4. LMFAOschwarz

LMFAOschwarz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, it wasn't necessary. Also, it reads, to me at least, a bit too much like the old comic book school of writing: "But...but you're dead! I saw you die!" "Fool! That is what I wanted you to believe..." . :lol:

5. Clark Terrell

Clark Terrell Lieutenant Commander

Make it stop.

6. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

There was also a reference in a conversation between Turrell and Kirk.

Turrell: He blames you for the death of his wife.

Kirk: I know what he blames me for!

7. Clark Terrell

Ahem...

8. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Turrell, Terrell, tomato, to-mah-to.

9. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

The art of subtly in script writing. You don't need to beat the audience around the head with information, sometime a slight tip of the hat is more than enough.

10. Maab

Maab Commander Red Shirt

Yes, it was filmed. It's in the workprint.

Best,
    Maab

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

What subtlety? They actually wrote and filmed a scene that mentions McGivers. It just didn't make the final cut of the film. Not sure how you give the writer(s) a pass for it?

12. Leto_II

Leto_II Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Although, to be sure in this particular case, the screenwriter was also overseeing the film editing, so we can probably give Meyer SOME credit for nipping this one in the bud. ;)

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

See, this is what I'm saying every time this Trek continuity baggage discussion comes up. You don't NEED to know the episode Space Seed to understand the movie. All you need to know is that Kirk exiled Khan after he tried to take over the ship, and that his wife died in exile. That's it. You don't need to know any specifics.

There is also no episode that shows how Kirk met Carol. Or an episode that shows how Saavik met Spock. Same thing as if Space Seed had never existed to show how Kirk met Khan.

All those “Can't do this or that because the audience will be confused.“ Forget it, it's absolute bullshit. From the point of view of a newcomer, there is no fucking difference between a backstory reference to an event in a previous episode and a backstory reference to an event that has never been shown before. No difference at all.

14. Clark Terrell

I agree. Not everything needs loads of exposition behind it. There's no explanation for why Chekov is on Reliant or why Kirk is an admiral again after TMP, but none of these things should dampen one's enjoyment of the film. If anything, I think it's more fun to speculate on what happened between the films to get to where things stood at the outset of TWOK.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

People don't seem to understand how collaborative a process film is. Meyer may have cut it at the end but he still wrote and filmed the dialogue. The trim may have also come from input from someone else, like Bennett or even a studio exec.

Movies and TV aren't made in a vacuum where the writers vision comes to the screen in its original form.

16. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, that's pretty specific for a sequel to Space Seed.

The difference is that TWOK is a sequel to Space Seed--the movie would not exist if not for the characters and situations of that episode, unlike (then) previously unknown meetings between Carol and Kirk, or anyone else. Once you base a script on another story, you do have an obligation to connect some dots in a film catering to the TOS fanbase.

17. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It doesn't quite work without the emphasis:

BUT...
    BUT YOU'RE DEAD! I
    SAW YOU DIE!

FOOL! THAT IS
    WHAT I WANTED YOU
    TO BELIEVE...

18. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

It isn't specific at all. You could even leave out the "take over the ship" part. The "wife died in exile" part didn't even happen in the episode.

19. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

fwiw, I hadn't seen Space Seed when I first watched STII and I enjoyed the movie fine.

20. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

No kidding, that reads as bad as some of the crud new trek has produced.