City on the Edge Redux

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Control Voice, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Control Voice

Control Voice Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

How about using the new actors in an audio drama version of Harlan Ellison's original script for the classic 'City on the Edge of Forever.'
    It would be an interesting project for the 50th anniversary, and the script is different enough to be quite interesting to modern day Trekkers and I'm sure it would make Mr. Ellison very happy.

2. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

But if Mr. Ellison became happy, he wouldn't know what to do with himself. Some universal constants must remain unadulterated. :lol:

3. CaptainBearclaw

CaptainBearclaw Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

4. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Come on he'd find heaps to be unhappy about in it.

Theoretically a COTEOF would be a good idea but not with nuKirk.

5. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Ellison threw a very public hissy fit threatening legal action when a rumor began circulating that JJ Abrams was thinking about using elements from "City" in the first Trek film. If something like this were done, someone would have to first approach Ellison, and its unlikely Ellison would agree unless he were paid well.

Check out this link.

In short, it's unlikely to happen.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it is highly unlikely we will ever see Edith Keeler again in any form thanks to the difficulty that is Mr. Ellison.

7. Commishsleer

If you want Edith Keeler in the next movie just pay Ellison the money and grovel a bit.
    He probably deserves it for maintaining the rage all these years.
    And joking aside he probably does deserve some recognition for his work.

8. teacake

Hasn't he got enough Hugo's piled up on his tv?

Also, he has infamy. Everyone with infamy should be satisfied.

9. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

In the NuTrek "City" homage, Uhura's the one who goes back in time while delirious. She falls in love with The Rodent, who in the prime universe killed himself with McCoy's phaser. Of course in this new alternate universe, he has to live for some stupid reason.

10. teacake

The Rodent? That bum in the alley?

11. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

When the man's right, he's right.

12. Control Voice

Control Voice Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Wow,
    I always thought Ellison's anger stemed from disappointment in the final version of 'City.'
    Now I wonder, if Desilu had issued him a bonus check for his script work back in '66 if he would have been praising the episode all these years.

13. Hober Mallow

And I agree with him.

14. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Here's how to make it work for NuTrek:

By the time Kirk and Spock arrive in 1930 Earth, make it where Bones has already been there for about three months and has been doing house calls for the unfortunate in the soup kitchen. Make McCoy the one who falls in love with Edith. (Kirk's got Carol now, and Bones is younger and still struggling to recover from a far-more-recent divorce.) When Spock's semi-repaired tricorder reveals the alternate-future Edith to be Edith McCoy, that's where Kirk faces his big dilemma - to save history, he not only has to let an innocent and kind woman die, but break Bones' heart all over again... and risk losing him as a friend and officer permanently.

15. Commishsleer

You know they had the Guardian of Forever in TAS.
    There must be some way of negotiating with Ellison or legally the characters belong to Star Trek.

16. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I'm with Ellison all the way on matters like this. If you want something for nothing, plenty of amateurs are willing to give it to you, but don't expect people who do it for a living to just roll over and let you have their work for free.

17. Hober Mallow

Ellison in his own words:
    This was back when the rumors hit the net about Abrams using the Guardian, which turned out to be false. Note that the article I linked to reports incorrectly that this was happening.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Star Trek cost a reported $150 million; Star Trek Into Darkness cost a reported $190 million. If Bad Robot wanted to use a few of Ellison's ideas in the next movie, they could certainly afford to pay him for their use.

19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

He has said that DC Fontana was granted "special permission", IIRC. Similarly the novels by AC Crispin. (And Barbara Hambly, and PAD?)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  20. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Unless they ponied up hefty figure up front, I don't see him making easy for them if they approached him.