DREDD (3D) sequel!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Xavier_Storma, May 17, 2013.

1. Xavier_Storma

Xavier_Storma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

One of the best... if not the best comic-book-based film of 2012 (forget Avengers and The Dark Knight Rises) really needs to get a sequel.

Even Karl Urban thinks so:

http://collider.com/dredd-2-sequel-news-karl-urban/

Let's support it:

here is how, write IM Global (the production firm behind the first film): http://www.imglobalfilm.com/contact

Join the facebook group:

Facebook.com/MakeADreddSequel

If you haven't seen DREDD go, do it! One of those films you won't forget!
    Awesome atmosphere, dense cinematography, awesome set design, superb music.
    It is dirty, it is intense, it is not you average CB movie. :techman:

2. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Is there anywhere where I can petition for the sequel not to be 3D? :p

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but the chances of a sequel are pretty much zero given the box office.

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well that thread title is extremely misleading and enormously disappointing! Not cool.

Anyway, while I would LOVE a sequel to Dredd, I think the *only* thing that'll convince the studio to go for it would be the promise of lots of money which the first film sadly failed to generate. Realistically I think the best we can hope for is a *very* low budget straight-to-DVD film. Which would be a shame since the first film was supposed to be the low budget one.

5. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Loved Dredd and would dearly love to see a sequel. It does seem unlikely though.

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Maybe one day aDREDD (3D) sequel!

Ugh... im sure there's a petiton too.

7. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just rewatching Dredd now. I'd love a sequel, but I don't think there's the slightest chance:(

8. Xavier_Storma

Well... considering Urban's interest, and the popularitiy of the film... never say never. I provided the link to contact IM Global. Write them how you enjoyed the first film. Anything is possible.

9. Xavier_Storma

One of the few films where 3D actually works.

The Slo-Mo sequences were both awesome, cruel and yet very artistic and almost beautiful.

If Urban and the director are both ready to go... let's show our support!

10. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm surprised at the popularity of Dredd on this board. The film was a mess and, although I do see potential for a sequel, the film really doesn't deserve it.

11. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw this over at Screenrant.com yesterday.

While I would love for it to happen, I bought the BluRay week of release as a show of support, I highly, highly doubt it will happen.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I thought the film was a tight little "one issue of the comic" brought to life. They kept it simple and it worked.

13. Xavier_Storma

Much better than any other comic book based films like Thor, Captain America or Green Lantern.

In essence DREDD and SIN CITY are the perfect transitions from comic book to movie.

Last edited: May 17, 2013
  14. Captain Craig

^^^
    I'll give you Green Lantern...let's don't let passion blind us though.

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Not sure if I would compare Dredd with Captain America. Apples and oranges and all that. Thor...again, not really comparable but I did enjoy Dredd much more. Never saw GL as the trailers didn't look promising and unless something very drastic happens, I probably never will. So I can't comment there.

As much as I did like Sin City, it's very much it's own creature. Dredd isn't anywhere near as stylistically encumbered by the source material and works as a thing unto itself. Indeed, on those terms I'd put Dredd on par with Captain America.

Actually the comic book movie that Dredd most reminded me of (for better or worse) was the Thomas Jane Punisher movie. Yeah, I know it wasn't as good (though I do have a soft spot) but just like Dredd, it managed to be both faithful to the tone and themes of the source material--especially where the main character was concerned--AND it worked quite well as a film in it's own right. Not just as "a comic book movie".
    I suppose the original Blade movie falls into that category too, but I'm not sure it's aged quite as well.

16. Xavier_Storma

Agreed. I also have a soft spot for that PUNISHER film (check out the short which was released last year! Awesome stuff! ).

17. Captain Craig

I watch Blade at least once a year and feel it's held up well.

18. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

Aren't the sales for the bluray/dvd pretty strong?

As much as I loved the film, and enjoyed Urban's performance, it seems to me that Dredd is the type of character that you need a big name actor to sell. There simply isn't enough public awareness of the comic to generate interest among the common rubes without a famous face or a huge marketing push.

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^But that also ruins the conceit of the comic that you never see his face. Put a big name actor in the role and they feel compelled to have the helmet removed through some contrivance.

20. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

:wtf:

Only in a gimmicky and childishly one-note pulp franchise could anyone call seeing the face of one's human protagonist a "contrivance". I mean, remember when we saw The Matrix's Morpheus without sunglasses? How contrived! :rommie:

Perhaps, but how may single comic issues take almost 100 issues to read?

Myself, I've read enough about the movie to be unnerved by the extent of the passion some seem to have for it. Considering how much violence has been inflicted, lives ended and ruined, and communities torn asunder by America's sadistic, profiteering and often racist war on drug users, I don't see the appeal for a movie consisting of pretty much nothing but cops slaughtering poor people. And some called Dirty Harry a fascist movie upon its release!

Oh, wait, I forgot, a literally magical hot thin white girl builds some self-confidence in her pursuit of carnage. Guess that makes it all okay, then...