Samuel L. Jackson Wants to Return as a One-Handed or Ghost Mace Windu

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by cooleddie74, Dec 10, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Re: Samuel L. Jackson Wants to Return as a One-Handed or Ghost Mace Wi

In a universe where a guy can have all but one limb severed in combat and be burnt to a near-crisp by the flames from flowing lava anything's possible. If you read accompanying materials and texts the only things that allowed Anakin/Vader to cling to life after the horrific disaster on Mustafar were the power exuded by the Dark Side of the Force and his newfound hatred for Obi-Wan. Those were basically all that kept him breathing in that hot, choking, sulfuric hellhole until the new Emperor arrived to rescue what was left of him.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It is very possible that Mace was skilled enough in Force use that he could shield himself from the prying eyes of the Emperor and Vader. Assuming Force sensitivity (and therefore Jedi membership) is detectable.

As for Mace's supposed death: If it's possible for Jedi to do things like accelerate themselves to Ludicrous Speed (like we see Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan do in TPM while escaping the droidekas), then being able to land safely after falling out of a window does not seem to be much of a stretch.

3. cooleddie74

Somebody once brought up Yoda's line to Luke during his long death scene in Jedi ("When gone am I, the last of the Jedi will you be") as evidence that no other Jedi survived the Great Purge and the ensuing quarter-century of Imperial tyranny since Yoda - as tremendously powerful and insightful as he was - would have sensed other Jedi survivors somewhere in the cosmos and told Luke so.

Possibly....but we also have to remember that Yoda and practically every other Jedi in the entire Order (an order over 10,000 strong at the time of the Clone Wars) did not sense the mighty Sith Master himself (Palpatine/Sidious) in their very presence for many, many years. One can conjecture that Palpatine used the Dark Side to shield his true identity and intentions from the Jedi, but if he didn't then that calls into question the capacity of Yoda and others to accurately sense the life energies and presence of other Force practicioners.

So, yeah....Mace could still be alive decades later when Episode VII finally rolls around. It'll be very interesting to see what the writers come up with to satisfy the wishes of actors like Jackson.

4. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

I realize others have already addressed this but...

Disney owned Miramax in the 90s, and thus made a goodly number of the films Jackson stared in, including "Pulp Fiction" and "Jackie Brown", which, being Quentin Tarantino films, weren't exactly family fare. Disney also made, (via Miramax), just about all of Tarantino 's early films including such such family classics as "Natural Born Killers" and "Reservoir Dogs".

Disney pretty much tossed aside their strictly squeaky clean image when they showed Caitlin Clarke's bare boobs in "Dragonslayer" back in the early 80s.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

No one is arguing that he died due to having a limb chopped off.

6. cooleddie74

And there's also the scene from Touchstone's Splash with Daryl Hannah's naked butt and backside as she climbs from the water onto Liberty Island. I believe that even in 1984 Touchstone was a Walt Disney property so the Mouseketeers at the company have a long history of making less-than-kid-friendly fare in order to reach the widest audience possible.

7. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Yup. Disney started Touchstone specifically to showcase films that broke the traditional Disney mold with regards to both subject matter and MPAA ratings.

8. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Episode VII

RETURN OF THE SNAKES

It is a time of slithering war. Rebel snakeships, striking from hidden grasslands, have won their first victory against the evil GALACTIC EMPIRE. During the battle, Rebel snakes managed to steal secret plans to the Empire's ultimate weapon, the DEATH STAR, and armored snake station with enough power to destroy an entire planet. Pursued by the Empires sinister mongooses (mongeese?), Princessssss Leia races home aboard her starship full of deadly and poisonous snakes...

...they'll try it. Just watch.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  9. cooleddie74

Episode VII won't be any more family friendly than most of the films in the Saga already are. We might get more of an Ewok-style approach to some aliens in the new film and Trilogy since the suits at the company love anything they can market as a soft, cuddly toy to kids (which means those among us who had issues with or couldn't stand Jar Jar won't be completely free of such characters....let's just hope the writing is much better this time around) but it's still entirely possible that one or more of the three new movies will bear a PG-13 rating due to the intensity of some scenes.

Episode III was a PG-13 film with some borderline gruesome and disturbing scenes yet kids seemed to love it and they and their families ate up a lot of the merchandise. I don't see Episodes VII-IX being The Lion King with spaceships and blaster weapons....I see them being Star Wars movies. Some might be more like Jedi or Episode I with nods to younger viewers, others might resemble Empire or Sith with darker, more adult moments.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

"You know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese on Coruscant?"

11. cooleddie74

"A Midi-Chlorian with Cheese?"

12. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Funny, I don't recall saying anyone had made that argument either. I was simply cataloging the various injuries and events that happened to him prior to and at the moment of his being flung out the window and why I thought it was possible for him to survive as a result IMO, not refuting your or anyone else's specific argument. If I had done that, I would have quoted or named the people whose arguments I was refuting.

13. cooleddie74

I know some don't consider it canon nor like any single thing about it, but the return of Darth Maul in cybernetic form in Seasons 4 and 5 of The Clone Wars happened after Maul was not only sliced clean in half by a lightsaber but also after his remains tumbled down an extremely long and deep plasma shaft in the Theed hangar facility on Naboo. Who knows what he might have fallen into when he finally reached the end of that fall in addition to being cut in two and most likely being in some sort of shock.

If Darth Maul could continue to live after losing every inch of his body from the six-pack or navel down then it's sure not out of the realm of possibility that Mace could have somehow survived even after the barrage of Sith lightning and long, acrophobia- or vertigo-exacerbating fall. I'm still inclined to think that the Clone Troopers acting under Order 66 got him even if the fall didn't, but in the Star Wars universe there've been characters who've managed to survive worse and emerge more badass than before.

14. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who is left alive that even knew Mace for him to come back and talk to?

15. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

At the time of the filming and release of ESTB, it probably was not referring to Leia. She was only made his sister during the production of ROTJ. Prior to ROTJ, Luke's sister was a brand new character entirely. Likely the other Yoda referred to was intended as that sister or another "chosen one" type character that was recycled into kid Anakin in TPM.

16. cooleddie74

Well, the two droids I suppose. It's possible Mace met Chewbacca during a visit to Kashyyyk before Episode III since he and Yoda are listed in written materials as perhaps the two most-traveled of all the Jedi of their era. And, of course, he can always carry on some kind of conversations with the ghosts of Yoda, Obi-Wan and Anakin. Even Qui-Gon, since we know he became a Force ghost like the others eventually did.

17. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Or, very likely, he heard stories of what happened and decided to come out of hiding as a result, especially knowing that the Emperor and Vader are both dead. It's not like it's a big secret or anything. And if word is being spread that Jedi were involved, I'm sure he'd be very interested in tracking them down.

18. cooleddie74

OLD MACE: "There's another Jedi named Skywalker?

Awwww, @#%*....I've got a BAD feelin' about this."

19. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

They managed to somehow find Luke's severed hand and lightsaber from TESB to clone his evil twin, Luuke... :biggrin: Personally, I still find it amusing that Savage Opress is often touted as being "Darth Maul's brother." :lol:

20. cooleddie74

The Savage Opress thing always amuses me a little, not so much because the humorous action figure packaging described him as "Darth Maul's Brother" while the other characters in the set got better and more interesting descriptions :p , but because some of the same people who decry characters that are derivative of others or bringing old characters and ideas back in new stories were some of the first to say how cool and awesome Savage was in The Clone Wars.

But as we all know too well from being sci-fi/fantasy afficionados, decrying and denouncing something on the one hand while embracing and celebrating something else very similar on the other is a trademark of our beloved little society. If they ever found a way to somehow purge hypocrisy from the human genome a big chunk of the sci-fi/fantasy community (as well as mankind in general) will shrivel up and cease to exist. ;)