Niners Unite...around Babylon 5! - The Lost Threads

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Neroon, Aug 20, 2007.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh I loved season 3.. and I'm now off to watch the next ep, I think I'm almost done with season 1.

2. teacake

I have now started reading the Techno-Mage trilogy. I have to force myself to rewrite Galen to do this as I found him so repulsive in Crusade and the first book seems to be his story, or at least it is in the beginning. Very well written and interesting so far!

3. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I searched this thread and didn't see this quote anyone and I apologize if someone already used it but here I go...

"It was the end of the Earth year 2260, and the war had paused, suddenly and unexpectedly. All around us, it was as if the universe were holding its breath, waiting. All of life can be broken down into moments of transition or moments .. of revelation. This had the feeling of both."

"G'Quon wrote: There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope. The death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting in moments of ctransition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us. We know only that it is always paved in pain."

By the way, Andreas Katsulas had such a powerful voice that no quoting could ever do him justice.

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^It's "born in pain" not "paved in pain". ;)

5. PorthosShadow

PorthosShadow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's not my fault, I was just the copy and paste fall guy;)

6. teacake

Okay I've finished the Techno-Mage trilogy.

It is one of the best things I have ever read. It is INCREDIBLE.

All during Crusade Galen was my most disliked character, I was always complaining about how emo he was. During this trilogy I kept feeling an overwhelming need to apologize to him for my ignorant attitude. I going to rewatch Crusade as soon as possible.

This trilogy does not read like a series tie in, it's a fantastic story in itself. There is no Treklit even comparable in quality. Some of it was so disturbing and upsetting I had bad dreams about it, at times it was incredibly depressing and tragic.. like the tragedy that was much of Bab 5.

These books are out of print and I ended up buying them through Abe Books.

Here's the Amazon reviews for the first book:

http://www.amazon.com/Casting-Shado...=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309561649&sr=1-3

Try not to read the reviews for the next two as you may hit spoilers, this trilogy is full of revelations.

7. Apogeal Alpha01

Apogeal Alpha01 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just watched all 5 seasons of B5 and thought about the B5 episode discussion that was here in the forums. One episode a week? Couldn't have done it. Watched it all in a week of late nights.

8. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Belated thanks for that review, teacake; looking forward to those books.

9. Thor Damar

Thor Damar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thor Damar, God of thunder and monologue..
    Has anyone read the Legions of Fire trilogy? If not I'd really recommend it...

10. bobarino

bobarino Lieutenant Red Shirt

One of my favorite B5 quotes and it's absolutely true too, is:

Sheridan: Understanding is a three edged sword, your side, their side, and the truth

Right on the money quote there!

11. Vendor

Vendor Lieutenant Red Shirt

Actually it was the Vorlon, Kosh, who said it first. And it was true - in Real Life - long before it was quoted in Babylon 5.

12. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

You're both right. Kosh said the first part and then Sheridan quoted it and the "Your side, their side..." part but we never actually saw Kosh say that bit. But Sheridan said it twice - first in "Interludes and Examinations" and then in "Into the Fire".

Jan

13. DS9 Gal AZ

DS9 Gal AZ Captain Captain

Just popped in to say I read "The Legions of Fire" trilogy and I loved it. Amazing to see Vir's progression and poor Londo's decline.

14. teacake

I have the Legions of Fire trilogy but haven't gotten around to it as I have a Peter David aversion. That said I have heard his earlier stuff is often good and I will definitely read it. The Psi-Corp trilogy was very good, a history spanning many years. The Techno Mage trilogy was one of the best things I've ever read. So I really had better get to the Legions of Fire!

15. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I started a Babylon 5 Rewatch this week and decided to start not at Midnight on the Firing Line, but with the movie, The Gathering. I had seen the original version of the movie (With better music I think, gave it more of an 80s vibe which I liked) but I actually didn't remember a lot of it on the rewatch. For one, I was surprised that they gave us a huge spoiler right at the beginning which makes me wonder if it was an appropriate start to the series. Other than that, I know everyone likes In the Beginning more, and while I agree, there is a certain charm to The Gathering, as there is with the other movies as well.

Watched Soul Hunters last night and that one isn't really one of my favorites. In fact, I'm realizing Season 1 was a little on the bumpy side, other than maybe a few episodes.

16. Vendor

Vendor Lieutenant Red Shirt

If you're referring to the scene between Kosh and Sinclair in "The Gathering", (Kosh's greeting) that wasn't in the original airing. It was inserted by JMS after the series ended. And I myself think Season 1 was the best of all. It set the stage of everything that came later.

Outstanding series.

17. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

And, it's not so easy to understand exactly what Kosh says to Sinclair, nor, is it really something you're going to remember 3 1/2 years later when you find out what it means, so, yea, not really a big spoiler for the average first time viewer, IMHO, just foreshadowing to show events were always meant to happen a certain way, and didn't just get pulled out of the air randomly, and a nice little Easter Egg for folks to find on a rewatch, "OMG, he said xxxxx, right in the Pilot"

18. tomalak301

I don't think it should have been inserted. One of the things I like about Season 1 (And don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the season but it's not as good as Seasons 2-4) is the mystery surrounding Sinclair and why the Minbari surrendered. To insert that line takes a little bit away from that mystery in episodes like And the Sky Full of Stars, doesn't it. Of course having known the series already, it's not much of a spoiler, but I'm just not sure it was wise to reveal everything right up front like that.

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

How can anyone who hasn't seen the Series yet, possibly remember those couple "made up" words spoken early in the Pilot, with no clue what the words mean, spoil something 3 1/2 years down the line in episodes? Nah, those words mean nothing, until you see it all played out 3 seasons later.

20. tomalak301

That's true. Maybe it's just my reaction that after watching the whole series and finally watching The Gathering again, the answers were right there from the start. Very sneaky of JMS to do that, even though I wonder how my reaction will be watching an episode like And the Sky full of Stars, which is an episode I remember really liking