Star-Crossed question

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Jsplinis, May 25, 2013.

1. Jsplinis

Jsplinis Lieutenant Red Shirt

I was wondering if someone could help me with a story reference. I just read DC Comics TOS vol.2 #75: Star-Crossed part 3. In it Spock refers to an incident when he recently saved his parents but other lives were lost. He sites this as an example of his need to get his emotions back under control by going back to Vulcan. Does anyone know if this incident has been told in a story of some sort or if it was just a reference made up for that comic issue?

Thanks and have fun,
    Jsplinis

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Hmm... my first thought was that it might be a "Journey to Babel" reference, but I checked the issue, and that doesn't work; the dialogue indicates that both Sarek and Amanda's lives were at stake. And it's not a reference to an earlier issue; most of the comics up to that point had been set in the movie era, and none of those set in the 5YM era had involved the events described. It must've been invented for the story, probably to suggest something that would provoke an emotional response from Spock and compromise his judgment.

3. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Could be "Demons" by J.M. Dillard.

4. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I remember that Shatner's third novel provided a background on Amanda and Sarek being part of a separatist group on Vulcan, of course, as I remember, Spock only found out about it in the 24th century, so maybe Shatner or the Reeves-Stevens heard about that from the comics and decided to explore it more.

5. datalogan

datalogan Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Could also be a reference to The Vulcan Academy Murders

6. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was wondering that myself.

7. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Sarek's never in danger in that book from memory, though I suppose he would eventually have been. But that book's more of a kirk saving jobbie then Spock too. As I said, I think "Demons" fits the bill, but it's been over a decade since I read it, so I'll have to excavate it from my book mounds this weekend & check.

8. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ If I recall correctly, Sarek was in danger from the possibility of Amanda's death. In The Vulcan Academy Murders's version of the Vulcan mating bond, if one partner dies, the other could be in real physical danger from the separation. Admittedly, a bit of a stretch. Your point about Kirk saving the day more so than Spock is exactly right, though. :)

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Given how rarely the comics referenced the novels at that time (post-Arnold, but with Arnold's restrictions still sticking around by inertia), I really think it's just an unseen mission that Howie made up for the sake of that particular story. Maybe it was a story he was planning to write later but didn't get to because Kevin Ryan then took over as writer and the series was cancelled 5 issues later anyway.