VAN: In Tempest's Wake by Dayton Ward Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Oct 2, 2012.

?

Rate In Tempest's Wake.

1. Outstanding

5 vote(s)
    20.8%
  2. Above Average

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. Average

8 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Below Average

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

No response after nearly a week? :confused:

2. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Makes you wonder whether this renewed ebook experiment worked out financially, I guess.

3. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I didn't remember any "loose ends" left in Vanguard and I don't remember any loose ends that were tied up in In Tempest's Wake.

4. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

So I'm still left with the question of why this e-novella exists as a VAN story..

No offense meant to Dayton Ward, as his Trek novels are some of my favorites (especially the VAN novels), but I can't understand why this is a story in its own right rather than a subplot / scenes in a TOS novel.

5. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

I think Dayton already kind of answered this -- he was approached by Pocket Books to write this particular e-book-only novella. That was the request from the publisher; it wasn't as if DW wrote the novella and then submitted it.

It appears that Pocket is testing the waters of e-book-only content, so they're starting off with new stories spinning off recent, well-received series, such as Typhon Pact and Vanguard. The series connections are marketing, not authorial whim.

6. Judith Sisko

Judith Sisko Commander Red Shirt

I think it's a marketing misstep myself. I'd rather see SCE/CoE stories.

It reminds me a little of when the Gateways MMPBs were published and then the "finale" was a hardbound. IIRC, that was a bit of a misstep as well.

7. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

I'd rather have new SCE/CoE stories too - I'd probably buy them in printed versions, though

8. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Any idea if SCE will be revived in the near future?

9. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

What they said about new current SCE stories.

10. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

I bought and read my first eBook.. and I have to say, even though I came into this with a negative POV, I was very pleasently surprised.

Yes, this story didn't cover new ground, but it gave another perspective on the series finale, and its aftermath.

Just as VAN was "previewed" in an eBook (in SCE), perhaps it's fitting to have the last story (more of an epilogue, or a special after-credirs scene IMO) appear in an eBook as well...

..I voted Outstanding, just to be clear :)

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Distant Early Warning came out between the first two Vanguard books, so technically it wasn't a preview.

12. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

I stand corrected, though I have a vague memory of DEW being set before the series proper..:confused:

13. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^It was set before the series proper, but came out after the first book. It was a prequel in the strict sense, coming out later but set earlier.

14. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the post-Destiny landscape is perfect for a renewed SCE series. Instead of having to invent new problems and crises on planets-of-the-week, we could have the SCE troubleshoot and repair against a backdrop already familiar to readers, tying the series more notably to the "mainstream" (though hopefully without losing its distinctiveness). :) SCE often seems an overlooked series (unfortunately), and while I did enjoy the sense that these were "side stories", that interesting things were happening in forgotten or otherwise inconsequential corners of the Trek verse, it would also be nice to see the same winning concept applied in a new way. Picking up the pieces on Vulcan, Qo'noS, etc, building on minor plot points and throwaway details in the post-Destiny books...it would be quite rewarding.

It could also be an uplifting series about the shared effort of rebuilding, to offset the more "troubling" political stories and cold war scenarios. :) If the big picture looks a bit bleak, it's often time to focus on the smaller things - and show that it's not just the exploration stories leaving the Federation behind that can be uplifting. A "rebuilding the Federation" series might be just what some of the fans displeased with the Typhon Pact need to keep them interested.

15. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

^Well said. Rebuilding after the Borg invasion could provide a slew of side stories from all over the federation.

16. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, personally, I enjoyed this coda to the Vanguard series. I kind of liken it to the bonus features on a DVD or blu-ray. It's not strictly necessary for the rest of the narrative, but I like getting extra insights or perspectives on the story. Here's my review!

17. RonG

RonG Captain Captain

Very nice review, which sums up the consensus regarding this story :bolian:

18. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

The cover is awful. It looks like it's cut off.