A Niner Watches Babylon 5 (NO spoilers, please)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by TheGodBen, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Re: A Niner Watches Babylon 5

I don't suppose we could get back to focusing on TGB's reviews, could we? The sidebars are understandable and interesting, but we're veering away from the focus of TGB's topic.

2. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll find it for you, if I can. The link was over at www.whedonesque.com. If I find it, I'll post it here.

3. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is that a Joss Whedon fansite? From the way you described it I assumed it was in a TV magazine or something, my bad.

Of course B5 is attributed as influential in geek circles, I was just interested to know what is thought of outside as the show's influence (and/or specifically by the creators of the three shows I mentioned). I mean, Ron D. Moore is very candid about the Blade Runner influence on Battlestar Galactica, he appeared in the Blade Runner extras of the Final Cut DVD yakking about that. I believe cable dramas also played a significant role there.

4. stonester1

No, wasn't talking about fan circles.

This is one of the articles I was thinking of, but not THE one...but it has some similar interesting things to say...I'll keep looking for the other...

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art30354.asp

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  5. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Now you can be sure of seeing this. ;)

6. Kegg

^
    Aw. I mean, "Infection" sucks. It'd be more fun to discuss it if someone was defending it.

DS9's debt to B5 with the Cardassian-Bajoran arc is contestable, given they both aired simultaneously and the DS9 crew were fairly adamant they didn't watch the show on the most part. Also, being one of five most influential sci-fi/fantasy programs of the 1990s is a sort of limited field.

The other article you linked me to was a far more interesting read, I see you've removed it, presumably because while its analysis of TV in the 2000s is fascinating and it does mention some important 1990s precursors (like, indeed, Buffy) Babylon 5 isn't mentioned once.

7. stonester1

Yeah, it's a great article, but Babylon 5 was mentioned in the comments, not the main article. So it wasn't what I was looking for. Still looking around for that other one.

Bottom line, though, there are folks out there giving cred to B5 for all kinds of reasons.

There was a reason it reached out and got attention, and inspires threads like these on a regular basis.

8. Brian

Brian Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes it does. I was wondering why I was sticking with this show through several of the early episodes.

I think when something really switched in me and I realized that this was a show to follow was when Jha'dur spoke to Sinclair about her work toward the end of "Deathwalker". :eek:

9. Kegg

Probably. I've never read anything of the kind outside of geek circles, but then, I'll admit I've never looked for it.

It's a Star Trek forum. I think it's not unreasonable to say there's always been an overlap where these geek interests are concerned. The people posting here are also all people who remember Deep Space Nine, for example.

10. stonester1

Here's another, in EW's top twenty of all time, science fiction shows...

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20224286_8,00.html

And on that happening because this is a Trek forum...there are MANY science fiction shows out there. But only a select few generate continuous commentary and threads with people going through the show for the first time and wishing to share the experience with all and sundry.

Babylon 5 is one of them.

11. Kegg

An interesting example to be sure, but not one that credits B5 for any influences. At least this list used an actual photo from the series; I read a similar list once that used a photo from one of the unsuccessful spinoffs.

And the others are Firefly and Farscape.

What do they all have in common? They're space operas with people on space stations or spaceships. This is why you'll see more Babylon 5 threads than Twilight Zone threads.

I'll admit I'm beginning to talk in a circular loop at this point so I'll let it be.

12. Sean_McCormick

Sean_McCormick Captain Captain

Actually that is not something, that never happened in human history. The Romans appearently thought of their nation to be an Republic and referred to it as such even after the Roman Republic was transformed into an dictatorship by Caesar.

13. Kegg

And then Caesar was killed by Brutus, there were a few civil wars and this Augustus fellow is left with the keys to the house (by way of Egypt, the grain, like spice, must flow.)
    Historians tend to date the Empire to this point of history.

It's true that the title Emperor, and the idea he was primus inter pares, was intentionally done to basically be a king but without having the onerous implications of being a king - making it acceptable in republican rhetoric, so to speak, but I think it'd be also fair to say that they're fairly contradictory and in the modern use of the term republics who have crowned Emperors no longer consider themselves Republics - like France, which the Centauri take a page or two from.

Hm. I really should joke less. It's not even a funny line to begin with.

14. stonester1

15. Kegg

I wasn't comparing Babylon 5 to those. I was comparing it to cult series that aren't space operas. That's why I brought up The Twilight Zone, which topped the list you linked and yet doesn't really generate a lot of thread traffic. Even The Prisoner, say, really just got attention because of its remake (and woe betide the man who dares proclaim that show isn't awesome.)

It's pretty obvious the three most referenced long-ended sci-fi cult series on these forums are space operas, and it's equally obvious as to why.

16. stonester1

Yes, because people don't talk much. or regularly share their viewings of bad space operas.

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Entertainment Weekly, now there's an authority on timeless values...that's it?

18. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Face it, Dennis, B5 is better than you make it out to be.

It's also worse than most of us make it out to be, of course....

Something about a three-edged sword comes to mind here.

19. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok, I have a gripe and if I'm wrong about this please tell me. I don't appreciate people telling me what I can and cannot like. The attitude of "if you like this show or that show, than you're wrong for not liking what I like" or something to that effect is starting to get really grating. As for B5, it is gaining new viewers. Last year we had a few B5 review threads, such as mine, which showed the series getting new viewers. Maybe not on the same level as BSG, but then we're talking about a series that's over 10 years old. Also, let's not forget BSG wasn't a ratings darling either.

As for comparing BSG to B5, it isn't a fair comparison. TV series are getting better, technology is getting better, and it's really an apples to oranges point. Also, I disagree with darker and grittier for B5. Yeah there were dark themes, but one of the things that sold me on it was the idea of Hope and the hardships we take to get there. There was a positive underlying theme which I liked, but the original poster hasn't gotten there yet. I just wanted to say that I got into the series last year, I love the series, and don't appreciate being told I'm wrong for liking a series that others might not like. Hell, I don't go into the Enterprise forum or the lost Forum saying you guys are all a bunch of ignorant somethings, so I should hope the feeling is mutual. I know it isn't, but hey, I'm proud to be naive on such matters.

20. Ryan

Ryan Commodore Commodore

Can you owe a debt to your own show?

The whole B5 vs. DS9 debate is senseless though. To me it's obvious Deep Space Nine was very influenced by Babylon 5. I just don't see any problem with that. Since when was it a bad thing to be inspired by great works? Babylon 5 itself had a whole litany of influences from Shakespeare to Blade Runner.