Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The starboard nacelle is titled inwards, the pylon is fine, but the nacelle was set on it wrong. And the saucer was glued on about 5-10 degrees twisted to the right, the impulse engines are pointing to the end of the port nacelle.

2. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

And what was wrong with the others? photos?

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

With the NX-01 the nacelles are both titled forwards, the catamaran hulls slope slightly upwards as they go back from the saucer.

Others up thread have mentioned theirs tilt down, the nacelles are set on wrong etc so there seems to be a common problem with the nacelle portion of the models.

4. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Of the five models I have, Excelsior is the only one that I have any problem with and it's so minor, calling it a problem is making it more than it is.

5. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My NX-01 seems to be nearly perfect. Of course, I didn't get out my laser level and check it, but I can't detect much slant to the nacelles or any part of the ship to be angled in anyway. But hold on, let me look at it again....well, OK, my port nacelle is slightly off...but I mean, you really have to get down and eyeball it close up to detect it. It's not off by no more than 1 degree. It's got a slight slant forwards, which means the tail is slightly higher than it should be. But like I said, it's hardly noticeable.

If anything, it's my Ent-D that I'm a bit disappointed in. The paint is kind of screwed up around the "USS Enterprise" name on top. The little black windows above the name are shifted towards the starboard side. As if the "machine" shifted as it was being painted. (I highly doubt these all are hand-painted, as they claim, even though I got a response about that from that dude that is in charge, saying that they were, but he's not directly in charge of the mass production process.) And that the port nacelle looks like it was put on a little crooked. It leans inward I think. Not by much, but it's noticeable from either front or back view.

6. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Has anyone bought the new(?) Hot Wheels ships? 3 are from STID, but the 4th is the Excelsior. It's surprisingly big! Appropriate, I think...

McCoy: "My god that's a big ship."
    Scotty: "Not so big as her Captain I think!"

The other ships the nuTrek ones are the Kelvin (yay!) the Vengeance (got 'er from the blu-ray set) and the STID Klingon Bird of Prey. Something funky w/the Kelvin's saucer paint, but oh well. Vengeance is the dark ship of doom, lol.

I have to say, the STID Klingon ship is without a doubt the UGLIEST STARSHIP EVER MADE FOR TREK. EVER. EVER!!! It's horrible. We barely see much of it in the film, thankfully. It doesn't look so bad there. But inspecting this toy... UGH! It looks like a flying backwards cockroach with wings! It's horrible! I've never contemplated outright throwing away a Trek toy I just purchased but this ship is so hideous I don't even want it in a drawer somewhere... it's that bad!

7. dudley

dudley Commodore Commodore

Agreed. The STID Klingon BOP looks awful. And it doesn't make sense, since the Enterprise BOP actually looked very much like the TNG BOP. The ST: Enterprise period, of course, predates the Prime timeline.

Overall, I think the group doing the new movies don't understand what Romulans and Klingons are supposed to look like. The people and the ships.

8. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

I'm not a huge fan either. While I can have some leeway with the appearance, It just looked way to small.

Not much bigger than Mudd's ship.

9. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I think it looks a little Jem Hadar-ish.

Or maybe it would be a great ship for those bug things from Conspiracy--though Sternbach also did some organic looking bug-type ships that would work even better

10. Sans

Sans Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

FIRST LOOK: Starships Collection Star Trek (2009) U.S.S. Enterprise

Star Trek The Official Starships Collection, with their first special in UK stores this week and in the US early next year, has provided StarTrek.com with an exclusive First Look at their next special: the Enterprise from Star Trek (2009).
    [​IMG]
    Remember, it's a First Look; the model is still a work in progress.

Read the rest here

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  11. Johnny Rico

Saw this too...hopefully the paint job gets improved. Needs some blue in there somewhere don't it?

12. Sans

Sans Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I do believe so. I really don't like how they just upscaled the Vfx to make the ship look bigger. The only reason I'll be getting this one is so I can have the complete collection.

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: FIRST LOOK: Starships Collection Star Trek (2009) U.S.S. Enterpris

Nice! I never expected to see new movie ships in this collection. And I love that they're making it in-scale with their classic movie Enterprise (725m vs 305m). Maybe we'll get some technical specs in the magazine, like with the other ships? Woohoo!

(now I want a 14" USS Vengeance, to scale with the new 8" Enterprise!:lol:)

14. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

They may finally have to fess up about this Enterprise's true dimensions. It will be as close to "official" as we're ever going to get, considering it's a licensed product. Should be interesting, if not amusing. :)

15. Johnny Rico

Attn. US subscribers -- Warbird and Voyager arriving

Just got my Voyager and Warbird today. So, BOLO for yours. Will be adding pics to my FB Gallery soon.

https://www.facebook.com/david.moli...43042513667.1073741830.100003339241087&type=3

Edit: Pics are up.

I must also testify that the ships don't stay in their stands that well. The Voyager is loose in the stand, and slips out easily due to the center of gravity being far forward of that. And the Warbird has some friction to it, but due to the center of gravity being forward of that...again, it slips out.

Quality of models is great. Both in paint job and mesh. Even though the Voyager has no Aztec-ing, the details that are painted in really bring out some detail that you probably wouldn't expect. The bottom side is actually more attractive than the top side. Nacelles on mine seem to be perfect. No crookedness or anything.

The Warbird, has a nice "dirtied up" look to its paint job. And the yellow window detail is quite good as well. The side nacelles are solid (no green transparent plastic) Would have been cool if they had been though.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  16. Toxteth O´Grady

Toxteth O´Grady Captain Captain

Was about to come on here and say that I got mine today, as well. Wasn't expecting them yet, so that's cool. I got them at work, though, so I have to wait to really examine them.

17. Johnny Rico

Yeah, surprised me too. I wasn't expecting them till next week at the earliest.

18. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, given the previous releases, I was expecting late this week (Thursday or Friday) at the earliest. I've noticed a lot of people complaining on their FB about delayed shipments (by delayed I mean "My friend got theirs two days ago, but I just got mine today" type complaints) so they may be trying to address this.

19. Johnny Rico

Judging from what I've seen on here and on FB, people haven't even received some of the earlier issues. Biggest problem seems to be in the UK. Don't know why that may be, but I'm guessing a different style of postal service? I could be wrong though.

20. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

The postal service here in the UK gets a bit bunged up around Christmas. In the past, I've had parcels delivered several weeks late either because they got overlooked in a sorting shed or the weather was apparently too bad for the postmen to do their round.