Never seen TOS scenes, but would've been nice...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Warped9, Apr 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Re: TOS movie what if...

^^ Actually instead of changing the colours from gold/sand and salmon to gold and red it would be easier to make the salmon into soft gold/brown and the gold/sand into the original green the shirts were always meant to be. :)

One little thing I'm working on is a shot where I can erase Piper and insert McCoy. It's challenging since more is involved than just changing the head because Paul Fixx's body type is very different from DeForest Kelly's. :D

2. Kagan

Kagan Commodore Commodore

Ahhhhhh.....:eek:

So...uh...I'll...uh...still be here when you finish. :D

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

One of the things that was wild about the inside jacket art was the fact that the original Enterprise illustration was given TMP refit like engine support pylons? :lol:

It's a rather nice piece of art depicting the Romulan T'Cael, James T. Kirk and daddy George Kirk on the right. Below we see Sara and Robert April. The bridge has the wrong TOS era colouring though, but it's still decent art.

[​IMG]

4. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

I would like to state, for the record, that I never really cared for Diane Carey's depiction of Captain April.

Suffice it say that I will never be seen at a convention with a cardigan sweater over my uniform.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ I have to agree here to some extent. Carey's depiction of April is rather on the wishy-washy side and a weak aspect of the book. He seems more a diplomat or bureaucrat rather than a ship captain and deepspace explorer.

I did find it an enjoyable read, but I also found it too cute, neat and tidy to be credible that Kirk's daddy had been aboard the 1701 and that there was this great destiny thing going on. It would have been simply better if it had definitely been the Constitution rather than the E. Also, though, it takes the eddge off "Balance Of Terror" being the first encounter with the Romulans after a century as it was intended to be.

An aspect I did like was the idea of Robert April being involved in the development of the starship program, possibly heading it up and overseeing it to keep things focued and on track. In this capacity he could then have captained 1701 on its trial runs and then perhaps for ceremonial reasons--showing the flag so to speak and a reward for putting his flight career temporarily on hold--before handing it off to the E's first genuine operational commander, Chris Pike. I just think that seems more believeable and somewhat more real world like than the more conventional view. April could have been brought in for his skills in getting the right people for the job and cultivating them to get the best out of them. His experience as a deepspace veteran would serve to know what the new ship would be called upon to do.

I even toyed with the idea of just such a short story where April brings in folks like a young hotshot engineer named Lawrence Marvick and a rastafarian like computer systems geek with wild untested ideas called Richard Daystrom. April would have fought committees and other departments all trying to horn in on the program and intent on making the new class of ship something almost totally divorced from what it supposed to and should be. He would have fought with people who would like the new ships to be "dreadnoughts" and superweapons.

Just some idle musings on my part. :D

6. ImperialCaptainBat

ImperialCaptainBat Commander Red Shirt

am I the only one who thinks that the Romulan looks like David Copperfield????

7. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

I wrote up a story for Pocket Books' Strange New Worlds contest involving April's first trip out on the Enterprise (I'll not go into the details at this time, since it may make it in one of these years). In it I included a rather striking bit of history to explain why April was assigned command of the Enterprise.

The two folks I'd forgotten to include in the mix were Marvick and Daystrom. I'll have to rectify that in the next rewrite.

8. LavianoTS386

LavianoTS386 Admiral Admiral

No I noticed it too. A little bit liek the guy who played the incredible hulk too.

9. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

lol

10. setvenharis

setvenharis Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Less talk.........MORE PICTURES!!!!!!!!! :D :)

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Never seen TOS scenes...

I really would have preferred if McCoy had been in "Where No Man Has Gone Before."
    [​IMG]

12. Kagan

Kagan Commodore Commodore

Re: Never seen TOS scenes...

Yeah! We're back to pics. Bones listening to his "first" of many ramblings by Spock.

You chose a good expression...seems as if he's ready to jump in as soon as Spock takes a breath...if not before. ;)

13. Machiavelligz

Machiavelligz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

what do you do to get your screen captures so sharp? Are TOS DVD's that good, or is it you?

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Firstly, to my eternal regret I'm not yet set up to make my own screen captures (thats coming eventually) and so for now I have to rely on what I can donload from the net.

However, there are two basic things working in TOS' favour I believe. Firstly the original episodes were filmed on celluloid as opposed to videotape as is done today. This makes for a greater likelihood of having crisper original images. Secondly some years ago Paramount invested in getting the original episodes digitally remastered and cleaned up as well as having some colour correction and enhancement I believe. If screencaps are taken off the remastered episodes then that would serve to llow for pretty crisp pictures I would think.

Unless someone out there more knowledgeable than I in these things can set me straight and explain that I'm full of crap. :)

Ulimately what I don't like about my last pic is that I've had to graft McCoy's head onto Piper's body and even though I tried to correct Piper's body shape to some extent it's still not satisfactory. Paul Fixx (Piper) was older and had a rather different body form than DeForest Kelly who was leaner and had better posture.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

WOW! I just stumbled into this forum, and this is BY FAR the coolest thread on the entire BBS!

:eek:

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ :) Wow, indeed. The thread has been going since April 10th and you've only just found us?

17. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

History 101: Captain Picard uses the holodeck to visit the Kirk era...
    [​IMG]

And then decides to indulge in a little fantasy...
    [​IMG]

I'm bending my own self-imposed rule here because I find some of TNG tolerable and I was curious to see what it could look like. :D

18. Intelligence

Intelligence Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

actually I have to disagree here for the first time, I like the natural colours of the early uniforms, the later ones look classic yes, but the Cage ones have their own definition of classic and the tan looks perfect.

oh and thank you, :p now they have to dubb the line again, where Dr. Piper says he came as representative for McCoy :rolleyes: (yes, the German TV solved the problem that Piper was just a guest character) :lol:

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ Well the original command shirts were always meant to be green, but some weird photo freakout changed the colour to tan/gold and so I'd just thought I'd let folks here see what the production crew and cast always saw. :)

20. star

star Vice Admiral Admiral

You know I saw a thread once that talked about why the uniform colors had changed from TOS to TNG and it was brought up that Patrick Stewart didn't look good in gold... Now I believe it! :lol:

Very cool images though. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.