The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Feofilakt

Feofilakt Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I believe the qualities of the movie are debatable, that was the point of my statement. In time, we should debate the qualities of the movie in earnest, but perhaps not yet. Emotions are running somewhat high at the moment...

2. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

sure, that last point is definitely a good suggestion.

will do and report back... in ten years and 11 movies. ;)

3. Rebma Bowmani

Rebma Bowmani Ensign Newbie

Neo Trek fans ... I love it ... and will embrace it!

4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I saw the movie a second time in IMAX.

- Loved the intro even more. That part of the movie really captured the essense of TOS the way the Kelvin encounterd something strange out in deep space. THAT's pure Star Trek right there.

- I loved how they muted all the sound as the Kelvin was about to hit the Narada and played a musical piece over it. It created a very nice effect.

- I finally heard McCoy call out to Nurse Chapel.

- I found myself warming up to Bruce Greenwood's Captain Pike a lot more. Loved seeing him in that Motion Picture-style admiral's uniform too.

- I got a lot of other minor details I missed the first time.

- I started to entertain the possibility that the Vulcan we know wasn't the one that was destroyed in this movie and that the one we've always seen was actually the new planet they settled on. That idea kinda went away though.

5. dkehler

dkehler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Star Trek, this latest movie, has little/none of the things that you listed as reasons why you like Star Trek. Yet you seem to be judging the new movie much higher than you would have otherwise simply because it has the name Star Trek on it.

That does not mean that I think that everything that ever made Star Trek good is in every Star Trek episode or movie.

6. indranee

uhh, the quality of those 79 episodes is rather debatable, as well, taken in concert.

y'know, art is rather subjective. perhaps you will remember that, hmm?

7. indranee

exactly. I judge/rate TOS much higher (than it deserves) specifically because of those qualities as well. no reason why nuTrek does not deserve the same from me.

it's no Dr. Zhivago. then again, TOS is no Twilight Zone.

IMO.

8. Feofilakt

Qualities, not quality. Attributes, not good/bad.

:(

9. Rebma Bowmani

I finally was able to see in IMAX today as well. I liked it even more than the first two times!

10. indranee

huh?

11. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

By the way, for those of you complaining about this thread being 70+ pages, you can go to your control panel and change your thread settings to display more posts per page. I only see 38 pages as of this posting.

12. Feofilakt

We are going in circles.

You stated the qualities (read, attributes) of the original series was a more philosophical nature, yes?

I agreed. Trek has a philosophical tone to it, it possesses that attribute.

How is the attribute "Trek has a philosophical tone" now in debate when taken into concert? I am not following.

13. Rebma Bowmani

I believe that some people here have just been waiting to hate the new movie no matter what... I understand it is hard to watch new actors play such iconic characters... hugs to all of you who prefer to live in the past... I understand.

14. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Thanks for the tip! But it's not the 72 pages really, it's the 1503 posts contained within :)

15. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's an easy tip:

Hit CTRL+F on your keyboard and type in the page search field "abomination" and "amazing". Then just click through and as it highlights each post, don't read it, just keep clicking through. Only stop when it jumps a post or two, because then someone is saying something different. You'll cut your required reading by about 1300. :D

J.

16. indranee

oh okay. I'm eating, watching MSNBC/TNG/the WH Congressional stuff/talking on the phone and posting. figures I got confused.

yes, Trek is philosophical. yes, we agree.

my point is that you can't hold this movie to the standards of the best Trek eps just as you cannot hold the worst trek eps responsible for bringing down the overall quality of Trek. the fact that Trek brings a certain aura of undeniable depth cannot stipulate that ALL Trek be that way. just as Spock's Brain was part of All-Trek (and a guilty pleasure in itself, at least for me), so is this movie.

the best part of this movie is the fact that it promises newer Trek of quality that we BOTH want. and, hopefully, now that this movie has been deemed a general success, we shall get that which we both want.

17. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, screw experience. That's not important at all.

Are you *serious*?

18. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

When it comes to Kirk's promotion, I say just embrace the mythos. Kirk's quick rise is the stuff of legend.

If you need another reason to justify it, consider this. Starfleet just lost seven starships with seven commanding officers. Vulcan is gone and the larger part of their fleet is in some system apparently engaged with another enemy. You have Klingons, Romulans, and maybe Cardassians at the gates. Kirk was incredibly successful in stopping an advanced enemy from saving the Earth. Like someone said, you don't give him a mop and have him start at the bottom. He's earned his shot at the top seat.

19. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I watched the movie again today in IMAX as well.

:)

:techman:

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Which changes nothing about the sheer number of posts. ;)