Stargate Continuum - Grading and Discussion

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by Borg451, Jul 3, 2008.

?

What did you think?

1. 1 - V. Poor shouldnt have made this movie.

2.3%
  2. 2 - Pretty Poor

4.1%
  3. 3 - Meh.. okay. definitely worth a download..

22.2%
  4. 4 - V. Good.

60.8%
  5. 5 - Best Stargate ever.

10.5%
  1. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I not holding that against it, given that it's the general conceit you get with pretty much all these stories. But given they have told pretty much the same story a couple of times now, and they've got 10 years worth of continuity to play with, couldn't they at least change something that gives them an alternative alternative story? Rather than just "We did something different early on, and now we're gonna get wiped out."

What if Jackson wasn't the one to solve it, but did prove his theory, and outed the stargate program unknowingly?

What if Jonas helped them find something that caused them to defeat the Goa'uld earlier, and they never ran in to the Ori?

What if they met the Furlings instead of the Asgard, and progressed faster because of it?

Or even, what if they accidently changed the timeline for their better, but someone else came by and told them it needed to change back? Do the story from the opposite perspective, with the other guy winning and changing the timeline, and just don't even try to explain it in Atlantis, just one week, all of a sudden everything is ever so slightly different.

2. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I have to wonder where the drama is in a story like that.

Yeah let's just throw out ten years of continuity, nobody'd complain about right?

3. Bob The Skutter

I suppose the drama is in the personal decisions they have to make... Change the time line to get back to what they know, but ruin all the good that has come of it, or live with it and never have had the outcome of certain events in your own time line.

I'm not saying they should have done that in Continuum, or suggesting it should be done at all, just it'd be interesting to see.
    Although, I think it could be done, and work but it would take a lot of planning.

4. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

As soon as the time travel plot was underway, I thought....RESET! As did you all. And it was. Meh.

But it was entertaining enough, mostly. Nice to see Jack again.

5. Bob The Skutter

Shame he wasn't more involved though... and is it me, or did RDA look like he's gained a bit of weight?

6. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

He did. He really did.

:D

7. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

But there's no real conflict there if the parallel universe is in someway better than the one you came from threre's no real story there.

I'm not saying they should have done that in Continuum, or suggesting it should be done at all, just it'd be interesting to see.
    Although, I think it could be done, and work but it would take a lot of planning.[/quote]

That would mean undermining everything they just spent the last ten years building in the first place.

8. Bob The Skutter

Personally I think there's plenty of room for conflict, from the characters emotional state, the conflict between wanting to stay in a better place, but if that came at the price of something bad happening, say the whole Jaffa race being extinct.

Because you don't necessarily need to throw everything out, and if you have people who remember what's changed, or have what exactly changed be revealed over time, you could have a real meaningful change, without having to lose everything that was built up over the years.

9. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I don't think even O'Neill would think twice about making a choice like that.

You're going to all that in a mere 100 minute movie? :cardie:

10. Bob The Skutter

Doesn't even have to be something that big, could be something very personal, like Odo changing the timeline in Children of Time.

You're going to all that in a mere 100 minute movie? :cardie:[/quote]

As I said, I'm not saying it should have been done in Continuum, and I don't hold the fact it holds to the usual conceit against it. It would just be interesting to see something like that, something different, happen. Basically, I'm thinking out loud.

11. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Continuum is all they've got and they have to think of it that way since this could be the end of SG1 it's all of nothing.

12. Bob The Skutter

Well, personally, I think I'd have preferred something else to be the last SG1 story. But if that's all we've got, it could have been worse.

13. AJBryant

AJBryant Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why wasn't the FIRST change the disappearance of our intrepid Colonel? The first (and earliest) historical change was the destruction of his grandpa's ship, and the death of his grandpa.

14. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

If Stargate Universe is greenlit it is possible that this'll be the last we see of SG1 although I hope not and I'm still looking forward to seeing this movie.

15. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know what you just described? That DS9 Episode... Children of Time or whatever it was called, where "future" Odo stops the Defiant from crashing, saving Kira but "killing" all of the unborn children.

As a reset time travel episode, I think at the very least it had more of an impact that this one.

16. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Is there a reason this thread is even open before the dvd is available legally? Every person who has downloaded this should really be in jail, you know that, right?

17. Bob The Skutter

Since when was copyright infringement a jailable offence? Fined, maybe.

18. Valandil

Valandil Captain Captain

Not true.

There are legally available promotional discs out there as we speak.

19. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

True. What part of "downloaded" did you not understand?

20. Valandil

Valandil Captain Captain

Allow me to reiterate the line, "Is there a reason this thread is even open before the dvd is available legally?".

The DVD is legally available. By the way.

In the mean time, my thoughts are noted here: http://www.scifiheaven.net/index.php/2008/07/05/stargate-continuum-review/