In which interview had Pine said that...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lt. Cheka Wey, May 1, 2013.

1. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

The role of Kirk came down between him and an other guy? I think i have a good guess who that other guy might had been.

2. Burke

Burke Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm curious to know who that was.

3. Burke

Burke Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Double

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I give up. Which interview was it?

5. Lt. Cheka Wey

Lt. Cheka Wey Commander

6. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

According to Memory Alpha, some of the finalists for the role of Kirk were:

Joshua Jackson (who got his role on Fringe as a result) - Captain Pacey would have been awesome.

Chris Prangley:
    Chris Prangley auditioned for the role of James T. Kirk on Star Trek, but the role went to Chris Pine. He auditioned on 24 August 2007.

Prangley has appeared in several stage plays, commercials, and independent films and had a recurring role on the daytime series As the World Turns.

And Mike Vogel:
    Mike Vogel (born 1979) is the American actor and former fashion model who was a leading candidate for the role of James T. Kirk in 2009's Star Trek. He had already worked with that film's producer and director, J.J. Abrams, on the film Cloverfield. The role of Kirk ultimately went to Chris Pine.

Vogel was modeling for Levi's jeans that he won a recurring role in the FOX (and later WB) series Grounded for Life, whose regular cast included Richard Riehle. He made his film debut in the 2003 skateboarding comedy Grind which was followed by the remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre later that year. Since then, Vogel has starred in such films as The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Rumor Has It..., and Poseidon. Vogel also appeared in the comedy She's Out of My League, along with Alice Eve, and a regular role in the ABC series Pan Am.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Performers_considered_for_Star_Trek_roles

7. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

All terrible choices, Pine wins! I only wish Pine were a bit taller and beefier like the Shat was back in the day. It always seems when it wears the gold tunic it too big for him... :shrug:

Coulda been worse, coulda been better.

8. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Take that back. I don't know the other two, and I'm equally happy with Pine, but Captain Pacey would have owned. And Dawson would have been a Klingon. No makeup required. That is an honorable forehead all by itself.

9. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

:lol: OK! OK!

10. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's the whole point. This is a younger Kirk than we see in TOS. He's fresh out of the academy, he's a hot-head, and he wants to show everyone he's in control. But he's not. Compare the scene of Kirk confronting Harrison with any of Shatner's Kirk confronting a similar foe. Pine's character is firey and shooting from the hip. Shatner's is cool, calm, and collective, and operating four steps ahead.

It shows the differences between the two characters both in age, as well as professional maturity. I think the best example of this is Pine's delivery of "I'm sorry" in the trailer. He realizes, finally, he's lost and fucked it up for everyone else (I think!).

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I believe TJ meant it literally. ...That his tunic is the wrong size.

12. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

Pine's taller thn the Shatman.

13. Gsam

Gsam Lieutenant Red Shirt

TJ it is funny that you should mention that you wish Pine were both taller and beefier. In one of Pine's numerous interviews (I don't recall which) he said that he really packed it on and worked out because he wanted Kirk to be "bigger" in this movie as he was supposed to be "the captain"..

14. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Don't get me wrong, without his shirt I'm sure many women swoon and he's sure as hell more cut than I am. I can see the point that he's at a stage where he's younger and not really filling those "shoes" or shirt but that tunic is baggy! Shats tunic was tighter to be sure... Cough cough *girdle*. I do like the "he's growing into it" thought, also fashions change. It's not the '60's anymore after all. I still think given the choices he works it. That last clip with him and Cumberbach... WOW! :eek:

15. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's what I call "man weight." After the baby fat is gone, and the leanness of the 20s gives way to the more mature look of the mid 30s into the 40s. Pine will get his "man weight" someday. We all do.

16. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't Chris Hemsworth up for the role too and got George instead?

17. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I'm not sure how he didn't know that. Shatner about 5' 9

18. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Oh yeah, I'm not sure how I didn't knew that... :lol: *smacks forehead*. I guess I have no eye for heights.

Maybe the short TOS bridge threw me off. Yeah, that's it. :techman:

19. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still want to see Pine in a big screen version of T.J. Hooker.

20. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Shat wore lifts, which gave him an odd posture in profile.