TNG Reboot or Original Cast Comeback? What would you perfer?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by darkshadow0001, May 29, 2013.

1. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Never going to happen on either count. I wouldn't mind seeing an animated series with the original cast doing voice work, though.

2. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TOS actors are too old or too dead, and I don't want Abrams pissing on TNG too.

Ideally, we'd just get a new show with a new crew.

3. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I thought Abrams only watched TOS and none of the later shows?:confused:

4. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

The word reboot alone makes me want to hurl . . . . .

But - here's one being's preference; produce a series of 30 to 90 minute CGI/animated television shows on a rotating weekly basis - one for each version of Star Trek. For example one week we get TOS, the next week TNG, then DS9, etc.
    Hire voice actors to simulate the voices of the characters we are familiar with and the animators can produce visuals we know and we could see new adventures in any time period from early series to late movies, or even specialty stories set before the series or after the movies.

5. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Star Trek should be put to rest for a good 10 or 15 years. But I'm sure that's just me.

If anything, I'd like an animated movie or series with original cast supplying some voice acting. At least some guest spots.

6. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

If they did do a TNG reboot then they would need to get Picard, Riker, Data, La Forge and Worf all in skants for several episodes. That would be the deal breaker, otherwise there's no point in refashioning what we've already seen.

7. mlk

mlk Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

They should make a Titan show with Jonathan Frakes as the Captain (if he'd agree to it). He's a good age for it now, and they could have literally the entire TNG/DS9/Voy cast as guest stars or even have Worf or someone as a regular. It would be a new show but still in the TNG spirit. A reboot is in my opinion pathetic.

8. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

I'd love to see a "making of" or "behind the scenes" Trek movie, start with Gene's early TV writing jobs while he was still on the LAPD, have it end in 1969 when the series gets cancelled. We have all heard or read the stories, how great would it be to see what making the series was actually like.

Think "Man on the Moon", or the Mel Gibson TV movie about the Three Stooges, only better.

As for rebooting TNG, please don't. Let me remember and enjoy the work of the original TNG cast while they were still in their prime, no need for any more reunions.

9. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Pretty much my view. I've never understood the clamouring for reboots and recasting. We've got over 700 hours of Trek on TV plus the films.

I don't care for the new Abrams films. They're just not my thing and I'm content with what we have. If there's no new Trek I can live with that just like I live with the fact that other shows I enjoy have run their course too.

10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Frakes hasn't exactly aged well.

[​IMG]

Could see a new series set post 2400, with Riker playing the role of the Admiral who regularly gives the crew order. That was one thing I liked about Enterprise was it was always Forrest giving them orders instead of any random Admiral that needs an errand done.

11. dan_bevan

dan_bevan Lieutenant Red Shirt

They definately won't make a TNG reboot film for a good while IMO. Nemesis wasn't that long ago anyway so it would be a bit silly to rehash it again so soon. Star Trek has moved on and they wouldn't ask the old TNG cast to come back as they'd be too old and wouldn't be able to do any action scenes. And any Star Trek movies on the big screen would feature action heavily.

That being said, if there was a TNG reboot, I think Jim Parsons aka Sheldon from Big Bang Theory would make an excellent Mr Data just like when he dressed up as him in one of the episodes. He would play the comedic parts of Data's character well.

They need to do something original with Star Trek, I firmly believe moving into the distant future well beyond TNG, DS9 and Voy. Gene Roddenberry's original version was to keep moving forward into the future not going back into the past, doing reboots and prequels.

People think that you wouldn't be able to relate to anything too far in the future but I disagree with that. As long as you the characters are fundamentally human and you can relate to them and cover social issues then it would be fine. Plus our technology is already advancing rapidly a lot of the technology concepts of TOS and TNG are already possible or being planned - Tablet computers, voice activated computers, etc. If you moved into the further future you could create some brand new concepts which would really wow the viewers.

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

If there's ever a new Star Trek series, it will be about the valiant crew of the starship Enterprise seeking out new life and new civilizations in whatever capacity that means.

My guess is it will be some kind of hodgepodge of TOS, nuTrek, ENT, TNG, and elements borrowed from Phase II.

13. Viper78

Viper78 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Preferably no more reboot films for me, the 2 Abrams films were okay at best. I don't really consider them true Star Trek.

I always thought that the TNG had a few more movies in them. Would much rather see them back than another reboot.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  14. Viper78

I'm sure the Star Trek make up department could knock a few years off of Frakes!

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This statement always confuses the fuck out of me...

How is it any less "true" Star Trek than the stuff Rick Berman and company put out? Deep Space Nine, Voyager and Enterprise aren't very good for the most part, but I consider them no less Star Trek than The Original Series.

16. Viper78

They just don't seem right to me, always a danger with remakes, they only work if better than the original. Okay it's a reboot rather than a remake but still reusing old characters.

However if this is the only way the Star Trek franchise survives then so be it. As I said I don't dislike the Abrams movies, I thought they were okay but personally I would have preferred to continue the story rather than going back to the beginning & starting from scratch.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013