MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's odd...there is a strip around the outside of Rogers Centre's field that LOOKS like a warning track, but it is literally the same field surface - just painted brown instead of green. Which of course defeats the whole purpose - the point, the thing that makes it a WARNING, is that it should be a different surface, with a different texture!

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just when we were almost finally through the Soriano contract too. Guess it wouldn't be the Cubs without an overpaid, underachieving player. Maybe I'm wrong and Starlin's going to magically learn how to work the count this off season.

3. Mr. Laser Beam

I hope Yadier Molina is okay... :wtf:

4. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Boy, the Rockies are making the Dodgers look like the Rockies.

5. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Strasburg vs. Medlan, a study in how to handle a pitcher recovering from Tommy John. Prior to this season the two of them had the surgery within a few weeks of each other. The Braves opted to use Medlan as a long reliever and ease him back into the starting role later in the season. The Nationals opted to send Strasburg to the hill every fifth day. I don't know if the Nationals had any idea that their season would be this succesful but when it's all over it could be the Braves with a sharp young ace heading into the post season while Strasburg bites his fingernails on the pine.

6. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Don't get me wrong, this isn't an obscene overpay or anything like that. No one is saying that his skills are going to deteriorate or that he's not a decent player ... just that he's not suddenly going to develop the magical ability to turn into a special player rather than just a good one. He's had enough at-bats to give a pretty decent projection. He'll be a major league regular, but then again so is Jeff Francoeur. This isn't a bad thing, but the notion that he's some sort of top player is just wrong, yet people continue to argue about him because he's young.

Now that BABIP is down to something like a reasonable level, he's rocking an 89 wRC+ and that's going to look pretty shitty if he gets moved off of short (and it's entirely likely that he'll be moved). Once the singles go away, the outlook isn't great for a guy who doesn't hit much else other than singles and can't take a walk.

I think it's a bad contract because you have to say things like "if nothing goes wrong, it will be, uh, fair I guess," which isn't what you want to do when signing a 22-year-old for eight years.

7. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Well, the Cubs come back from being down 9-3 and 11-9.

They still stink, but comebacks aren't something they've been capable of for a few years.

8. Use of Time

You forgot to tell Timby that Castro worked a 3-2 count and singled in a run in the ninth off F-Rod. See. He's paying off already!

9. Timby

Yeah, and Shawn fucking Estes absolutely clowned the Reds in Game 158 of 2003 to push the Cubs ahead of the Astros in the pennant race. Didn't make him a good pitcher.

I was over-exaggerating earlier when I said that Castro would be fighting for a roster spot in a few years. He won't, he'll be a regular somewhere. But his defense doesn't look to be going anywhere quickly, and most think that he'll be too heavy to play the position at some point during the contract, considering how ridiculously quickly he's filling out. And he certainly doesn't have an 80 hit tool -- when your skill set is "BABIP-dependent singles hitter who runs really, really fast," your ceiling isn't terribly high. He could be the next Ricky Gutierrez, honestly.

Like I said, it isn't an overpay. But I don't get the Cubs locking him down like this, unless they were either A) hoping to flip him or B) paranoid that an arbitrator would look at !~HITS~! and ignore every other peripheral. The latter is entirely possible, I suppose. But I'm praying for the former, just to reverse the trend of every #1 Cubs prospect being deemed "untouchable," only for them to be exposed and then dumped for a box of baseballs.

10. Use of Time

Well maybe him filling out will equate to some power down the road kind of like Miguel Cabrera. I see him making the move to third base if that happens.

11. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Speaking of Third Base, Chase Utley was seen taking ground balls at Third Base. I know that the Philies have an up and coming Second Baseman and with Chase getting older, I think a move to Third Base would be a good idea.

12. Use of Time

Well the Braves didn't win a single series on their west coast swing not even against San Diego. It looks like my Bravos are getting ready for another miserable Setpember.

13. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Loving that sweep of the Red Sox.

I wish it was more meaningful, but I really hate those guys, so....

:lol:

:techman:

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I could see that happening.

People fail to realize how difficult Third Base is (almost as difficult defensively as shortstop, but expected to be a power position). If his arm strength is capable of handling it, I could see it since it's often viewed as a "retirement" position for middle infielders (Cal Ripken, A Rod, etc. all moved there). Plus, the Phillies could use some power from there and a healthy Utley could do that.

15. TenLubak

TenLubak Commander Red Shirt

I got a playoff invoice in the mail last week from the Orioles horray! :) I sure hope i can afford to go tho! Right now I dont have 9 dollars for a ticket to a inexpensive seat at a game, so i am pretty sure I won't be able to pay for the increased cost playoff ones. :( I would have gone to so many more games this year but people only have so much money to spend on entertainment, and since every game is on tV in HD, and you dont have to drive downtown and pay for the gas, tunnel, parking, food and other random stuff like batting helmets for the children its just too much. I mean the cheapest seat in the upper deck is 9 dollars!

I mean i've loved the orioles as long as I can remember watching them back in 1988 when i was 5 or so. and I really need food and shelter and to pay my car insurance over a baseball game. That being said I still attended 3 games already this season against the Tigers and Twins. I also against my better reasoning went last Sunday against the Jays but thunderstorms came all day and after waiting around and wandering around Camden Yards for 3 hours waiting for it to stop it was cancled.

16. Timby

A-Rod moved to third due to the presence of one Derek Sanderson Jeter blocking him. ;)

17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Yeah, I know. I considered dropping that part. But it's still a position that's viewed as not as demanding as Shortstop so you can just focus on hitting power instead, when, in reality, it's just as difficult.

18. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

R.A. Dickey for President.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

^ Think he'll win the NL Cy Young this year? I wouldn't bet against it.

20. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

I somehow see the BBWA picking someone else rather than a knuckle baller. they are an odd group.

I would LOVE to see him win it though.