What are your gas prices?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by T'Girl, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

The highest octane rating I've ever seen is 94, at least outside of avgas.

2. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

Yeah, Iasus is right about the octane rating. I totally missed that and i've owned american cars in the past. Silly me... Still, european rated 87 octane exists. Utter rubbish.

As for octane ratings, down i skåne, you can find 91 octane as well. But 95, 98 and 100 are the most common. The 102 octane fuel i use is specially made for motorsport. My team is sponsored so we get an almost unlimited supply, but i cant always get away with using it for personal business. I usually mix it with normal 95 octane.

3. ed629

ed629 Rear Admiral

$3.65-3.68 a gallon around here, at 17mpg and around 400-450 miles a week, adds up fast.

4. Marten

Marten Captain Captain

I don't buy gas, since I don't drive, but if I did, it would cost about 8$ per gallon.

5. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

$3.68 to $3.79 as of this morning depending on location. Its funny, I could drive down the street and get gas for $3.79 or I could drive a half a mile and get gas for $3.68.

6. Gil T.Azell

Gil T.Azell Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hear it $1.40+ ($5.30 a gallon) a liter in Vancouver , there was a fire at the BP refinery in Washington)
    Pretty soon our piggy bank will look like this.
    [​IMG]

7. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Sweden right? Actual as I understand it (correct me please), for the fuel itself you're paying about the same we are in the States. The difference is, I'm paying an additional 15 cents a liter in taxes, on top of the cost of the fuel, while you are paying an additional (about) 77 cents a liter in taxes (five kronas?). If I figured it right.

Long before eight dollars a gallon, Americans would start pulling our politicians out of office.

")

8. ares93

Yeah, the base price is around 5.20SEK, but the final price is around 14.40 a liter. It might be interesting to know that we actually pay taxes on the taxes.

9. Amaris

Amaris Guest

$3.79 a gallon here, for 87 (Regular). I used my Kroger card and got it for $3.69 a gallon. ;)

10. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Here in Iowa, it's about 3.47/gallon. The midwest is usually cheaper than almost the entire rest of the country for some reason.

11. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Well, parts of it. I'm in SW Ohio.

12. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the UK unleaded petrol prices are about £1.35 per litre, or £6.14 per gallon. In USA dollars that is about $3.86 per gallon, so prices in UK are just as high as in the USA.

13. ares93

Dont forget that the UK gallon is slightly more (4.5l) than the US gallon (3.78l)

14. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just doing a quick calculation then, the figures here where I am (and using the GBP to USD figure from XE) I reckon for a US gallon here, it'd cost about $8. For a UK gallon, call it $10 and change.

15. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cheapest price in the SF Bay Area that I've seen: $3.99

16. smiki

smiki Captain Captain

I don't drive, but I'm bored, and converting stuff can be fun (when you're really bored) so here it goes: 136 dinars/liter which is 1.23 euros/liter (or 6.31 dollars/(US)gallon).

17. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

$3.58 is what I paid yesterday. The last time gas hit $4 in 2008 around here it quickly plummeted to about $1.50 after the nightmare was over. That was nice.

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I suspect if every penny of the Road Fund License (VED) where spent on the roads in the UK, it would be more than enough to maintain a decent standard of a road system.

Cars have been getting more and more efficent for decades.

The only alternative to cars would be mass transportation. Lets see last I checked buses go through where I live once every couple of hours or so. So that rules that out.

to those l$ving in urbanisied areas mass transportation could provide an alterantive to those living in rurual areas a car is not a luxury. It is a necessity.

but back to the topic at had as I'm on a Diesel. It's about £1.40/litre so thats what about US$2.30/litre or around US$10.35/gallon

19. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

I use 99 octane (RON way of measuring) in mine, though it runs fine on 97 too. But if I were to put in 95 RON, the engine management starts downgrading performance to compensate for the lower octane number in quite a noticeable way.

I use Shell V-Power mostly, though it's a penny or two more than Tesco's Momentum (these are the only two 99 RON fuels in the UK). I suspect that the cleaning additives in V-Power are a little better than those in Momentum, and my engine's starting to get a bit older these days so I figure, why not?

For the really nerdy, I was number-crunching my rewards scheme the other day. I collect Avios (what used to be Airmiles) through both Tesco's Clubcard and Shell's V-Power Club.

Assuming no extant special offers, I get 1 Avios per litre of V-Power bought and at Tesco it's 600 Avios per £500 spent on Tesco fuel. At current prices, 1 litre at Tesco gets me about 1.2 Avios instead of just 1 at Shell (and the Tesco litre costs ~0.98 of Shell's price, increasing effective value further). Petrol price would have to drop to a bit under 98p per litre for Shell to become better value.

So I'm thinking about switching to using Momentum most of the time, and using Shell once every 5 or so fill-ups for the additives. Currently there's an offer boosting the reward value of the Tesco scheme anyway, so I filled up with the cheaper Momentum today to see if I notice a difference from V-Power.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

There are actually three gallons in use

Imperial Gallon ~4.5litres
    US liquid Gallon ~3.8litres
    US Dry Gallon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallon

Once again it comes down to your background the UK and commonwealth nations might be more familiar with the first definition, whilst the US would be more familiar with the second. Which of course can lead to confusion as the US in general still uses the Imperial system, so some might assume they use the Imperial Gallon when they don't.