'SeaQuest DSV' the underwater competitor to TNG

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, Oct 24, 2010.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

from
    How Five Science Fiction TV Series Were Destroyed

via wikipedia

As far as the 3 seasons of SeaQuest DSV itself as AviTrek mentioned:
    Instead of the whole lamenting of the Seaquest DSV series devolving into whatever it became [renamed seaQuest 2032] let's discuss the similarities with TNG vs SeaQuest DSV as shows that could both deal with scifi stories from a naval ship crew type of perspective.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  2. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Well obviously during season one, Bridger and Westphalen definitely had a sexual tension between them, not unlike Picard and Crusher.

3. Jochk

Jochk Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I've never seen this show, or heard of it, is it any good?

4. THE Imzadi Fan

THE Imzadi Fan Ensign Red Shirt

There was that...and the female Lt. Commander and the guy morale officer...damn I forget their names now...remind me of Riker and Troi. Plus you have Lucas, boy genius, who is comparable to Wesley, boy genius.

This is funny...I was actually about to do a blog post about the similarities between Seaquest and Star Trek

5. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I only vaguely remember Seaquest, but wasn't there a precocious teenage boy similar to Wes Crusher?

Doug

6. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I love O'Bannon for Farscape and Alien Nation (the movie), but Seaquest is not his best work.

7. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

It could have been if NBC hadn't destroyed it.

8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

In Season 1, Bridger, Ford, Westphalen and Lucas are 21st century submariner versions of Picard, Riker, Crusher and Wesley. The rest don't really fit any of TNG's cast.

In Season 2, Smith was suppose to be a composite of Crusher and Troi, but she was awful, just awful. Brody was a better Security Chief--younger, fitter and ambitious.

Not sure about Season 3, been ages since I saw it. Does anyone have a clue when it'll be released on DVD in the UK?

-Bry

9. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

Lucas wasn't annoying, unlike his TNG counterpart.

Then there was Ortiz who needed no counterpart.

10. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Probably the same time or after it's released in the US. :(

11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

There seemed to be a un-natural relationship between Trek's Countess Regina Bartholomew and SeaQuest's Doctor Kristin Westphalen.

12. swaaye

swaaye Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Seaquest's first season is good stuff. I do think it's pretty obvious that they were inspired by some TNG aspects, but it's no copycat. I think the entire first season cast is fantastic and some of the stories are great. And the music!

Season 2 is horrible for the most part. Season 3 is again a makeover and it's definitely better than season 2, but it's not as good as season 1 IMO. Michael Ironside as a replacement for Roy Scheider is one very intense change. Scheider was disgusted by season 2 so he wanted out.

The whole series can be streamed on Netflix. Season 3 isn't available in DVD form apparently so you can only watch the streams.

Surely there's an "in-universe" explanation for that! :D

13. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    The only difference between Seaquest and TNG is Bridger was very much working against the organization he served. He believed it had become corrupt. Picard was so heavily for the Federation he couldn't see past its rules and regulations.

Damn good first season on Seaquest, but they needed better technical advisors and to seek out stories from people who actually work in the ocean.
    (The writers of M*A*S*H ran out of story ideas somewhere around season two and went to Korean War vets for ideas.)

If Seaquest could've done something like that, the would've been one of the best sci-fi shows ever.

For now all we have for good oceanic adventure is SeaHunt.

14. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

I like these comparisons to TNG during the DVD reviews for season 1 of SeaQuest DSV:
    http://www.needcoffee.com/2006/02/23/seaquest-dsv-season-one-1993-dvd-review/

http://www.dvdverdict.com/reviews/seaquestdsvseason1.php
    So in other words if you want a show that is the closest thing to TNG check out these two episodes: "The Devil's Window" and "Treasure of the Mind". Episodes 2 & 3
    I started this thread having not seen the show and will now watch the first season disc 1 from Netflix of SeaQuest DSV after your replies guys along with these comments.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  15. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A battle between the seaQuest and an automated submarine in Season 2 played out like your usual TNG battle. Some fancy maneuvering, a beautiful but slow shot of a vessel cruising, firing one sustained energy attack, and much of the additional action happening via dialogue rather than on-screen special FX.

If Season 1 was meant to be Star Trek (I think more like TOS than TNG, frankly), I think S3 felt more like Deep Space Nine in terms of darker and brooding storytelling. And I feel that Shatner's guest-starring spot in Season 1 was the producers driving home the point that seaQuest was TOS Underwater.

The psychic doctor was Troi done ALL WRONG.

Spot-on comparisons in this thread so far of Bridger/Picard, Ford/Riker, Westphalen/Crusher, and Lucas/Wesley. I'd like to add Ted Raimi's character if Data was programmed to feel embarrassment.

16. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know about that one. Any series where a child shows up the trained officers on almost a weekly basis always grates on me a little.

He wasn't quite as annoying as Wesley, but there were moments when it was neck and neck.

-Bry

17. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

I like the first season and the concept of the entire show and the ship propelled by magnetic fields. The series was a huge miss from the story standpoint but the concept was an incredible idea. It was really the wrong time to do it. The special effects couldn't keep up to what was needed.

I had a hard time associating the inside of the ship with the out side.

18. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, I forgot a rather blatant one: in the third season, seaQuest was upgraded with a turbo engine capable of speeds extremely higher than its normal cruising speed. It operated not unlike warp drive (the fins even moved to facilitate the change, kind of like Voyager's nacelles). I suppose the show was sick and tired of the fact that submarines are slow vessels.

19. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Actually, I recall seaQuest cruising around at speeds that make real subs look slow. The turbo thing would be the equivalent to flank speed on modern boats.

20. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember thinking of seaQuestDSV as TNG of the oceans, but I also remember enjoying the first season and not enjoying the very few second-season episodes that I bothered to watch.