Of Crossovers and Fictional Universes

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Extrocomp, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

There was a season 3 episode of Millennium where Emma Hollis was zeroing in on a suspect in a shady apartment building, where we heard though the door of another apartment the audio from the previous week's episode of The X-Files. ;)

2. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

^ not a fan of either show and never seen Millennium, but gees you would think when one show is a spin-off of the other, they could keep from making those kinds of mistakes.

that said Doctor Who pulled the same trick on itself once, so maybe I shouldnt judge X Files so harshly

3. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

As David Simon said, discussing John Munch's cameo on the Wire, it's all fiction. Let's not get too worked up in the details of shows that are linked through several lines of succession to one another. That's my view, anyway. Didn't Munch reference the X-Files on Homicide before he ended up showing up in "The Unusual Suspects," anyway?

4. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Apparently, all of the David Kelly shows - L.A. Law, Picket Fences, Chicago Hope, The Practice, Ally McBeal, Boston Public, Boston Legal, Legally Mad, and others - exist in a shared universe.

The Buffalo Muffins woman that lived in the trailer park with Jay on Wonderfalls was in one of the last episodes of Pushing Daisies - the cook-off episode.

I've sometimes thought it would be incredibly neat if the networks could cooperate on a project to have Scott Bakula take the place of one actor in a role on various shows on different channels, ala Quantum Leap, as a lead up to a Quantum Leap movie.

5. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

But what if he leapt into T'Pol or Mayweather or even Phlox? ;)

6. Gojirob

Gojirob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It almost did happen. Sam was at one point supposed to leap into Magnum, PI, but legal issues killed it, and they wrote the Lee Harvey Oswald story instead.

7. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, okay. Personally, I'd consider that more of an inside-joke that was not meant to be taken seriously by the showrunners. So I still think don't there's any major problems in the notion that they take place in the same universe.

8. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    When did Doctor Who do that?

Speaking of, I just watched the pilot episode of The Sarah Jane Adventures. At one point, the hosts of Blue Peter make a cameo. And yet Blue Peter is a TV series that has frequently done segments about Doctor Who (the parent series of The Sarah Jane Adventures).

And, IIRC, Picket Fences did a crossover episode with The X-Files, which would also set all of those David E. Kelly shows into a common universe with The Lone Gunmen, Millennium, Homicide, and Law & Order.

9. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

obviously the Blue Peter of the Who verse, would not do features on Doctor Who, in the same way that the Blue Peter of our reality never promoted Bubble Shock

anyways in "Rememberance of the Daleks"

(quoting from wikipedia, but its true)

10. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

That continues to bother me, as one of THE great missed opportunities.

I probably would've died from geek-overload, though.

I still think it is very strange indeed that Dexter, Burn Notice and CSI: Miami all "exist" in the same town without running into each other. That cries out for a crossover, damn it. :lol:

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Agreed. We know Law & Order and Homicide share a universe, because they had *regular* crossovers. But this shared universe does not crossover with X-Files just because John Munch is in both.

In fact, we *know* that there is no such crossover, since in an early Homicide episode ("Partners"), Munch says something about "on Friday nights, most people are at home watching X-Files".

And don't even get me started on any of this Tommy Westphall crap. :rolleyes:

12. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I have been thinking about Dexter & CSI Miami, but in an episode of CSI NY you see a billboard advertising Dexter, so that makes it clear Dexter is a TV show in the CSI verse.

Still Dexter vs Horatio would be alot of fun

13. Gojirob

I'll start on it for all of five seconds. That xover list includes Superman's appearance on 'I Love Lucy' as a connector. Problem : Superman never appeared on ILL - George Reeves did. He was never credited as himself to avoid disappointing the kids, but Ricky and Lucy met him during their stay in Hollywood. You don't meet Superman in Hollywood. If the show had even half-joked that they met him 'while passing through Metropolis', an argument could be made. Also, at no time does GR do anything a mortal man couldn't do.

Sorry, that one is a pet peeve.

14. Extrocomp

Extrocomp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In the Millennium episode 'Somehow Satan Got Behind Me' shows a studio filming The X-Files, before they are interrupted by a censor who goes insane, starts rambling about how everything is unacceptable before shooting a bunch or people and then himself. The X-Files is never mentioned by name and Mulder and Scully are not played by the real actors and the theme music isn't quite right but supposedly it's obvious that it's an X-Files parody.

I haven't actually seen this episode, I just read the transcript. Does this contradict the idea that The X-Files and Millennium are in the same universe? What do you guys think?

Precisely. The reason I started this thread is to try to define exactly what "regular crossovers" means. How many crossovers does it have to be? Two? Three? The X-Files and Millennium have two crossovers if you count Jose Chung's one-time appearance in both series as one crossover.

Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street have 3 crossovers: a 90-minute movie, the novelization of that movie and a comic that also crosses over with Army of Darkness. Comics don't count because they frequently have implausible crossovers (there are 9 different comic crossovers between DC Universe and Aliens/Predator universe). Novelizations perhaps don't count because they have the same story as the movie they're based on. Then again, novelizations sometimes have differences due to script changes, so perhaps they should be counted. Alternatively, perhaps the movie Freddy vs Jason should be counted as two crossovers because it is twice as long as a TV episode.

And then there's Who Framed Roger Rabbit, which is a massive crossover between Disney animated characters Looney Tunes characters, Betty Boop and several others.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Hercules: The Legendary Journeys, which exists as a TV show in its own universe! And it's not just a brief gag like in Doctor Who. There are several episodes based entirely around this concept.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Since its a meta-textual parody of the X-Files, and not the actual show, I don't have a problem with it. After all, The X-Files had it's own version of the same joke, with Hollywood, A.D.

16. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Oh yeah. I've seen "Rememberance of the Daleks." Now I remember that. That was cool.

True. But that bit where he jumps through the window of Lucy & Ricky's kitchen into the living room is pretty cool.:cool::techman:

17. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

I think I know the one you mean, where we see Herc as a studio exec? and all other actors in the show also have jobs?

18. Gojirob

QFT. Don't get me wrong, its among my fave eps of one of my fave shows, featuring my fave Superman. If they ever make a Hallmark ornament of some sort out of one of its scenes, count me there. But to use a convention meant to protect 50's kiddies' fantasies to somehow argue that Kal-L Superman exists in Lucy's world is weaker than some talk radio I've heard, and that's saying something. Its nice fic fodder, but that's about it.

Heh. Speaking of fic fodder, imagine a series of eps wherein the Ricardos and Mertzes go to Japan so Ricky can tour for the USO. While there, odd rumblings are heard in Tokyo Bay...

Lucy : Eewwwwhhh!

Ricky : Ai-yai-yai-yai-YAIIIIIII!!!

Lucy : ohhhh, RICKY! He stepped on Fred + Ethel!!!

Ricky : Well, its about time.

19. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I remember those episodes (there were a couple of them, I think). Basically, they suggested that the actor Kevin Sorbo was actually the real Hercules (I guess he inherited his father's immortality) and that he was starring on a TV series (presumably, the same one we were watching) based on his adventures from thousands of years earlier. Other recurring actors on the show played exaggerated versions of the real-life writers and producers.

It was somewhat amusing, but it seemed like the writers thought of it as more of gag than as a crucial part of the show's mythology, especially since it presented the audience with facts that were later contradicted in the series' "regular" episodes (i.e. mentioning or showing certain god characters that shouldn't exist in the present day because they were killed off in later episodes).

Either way, it doesn't really have anything to do with a crossover, but I guess it does add to the meta-universe idea. This show, and Xena, often had self-referential episodes that existed outside of the regular series narrative, but I think that was just the writers trying to have some experimental fun with the tongue-in-cheek nature of the show. I personally don't really regard most of them as part of the "canon", so to speak, but to each his own.

20. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't seen an episode in years, but i remember really enjoying the Oswald arc.

I found a chart where a guy connected show from Tommy's mind. He directly connected Angel to the new Battlestar. It's a frakkin' disaster.:wtf: