Are We Returning to the 90's??? DC Teases Doomsday Will Reign!!!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Nov 11, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Do the writers at Smallville know? :rofl:

Possible engagement & wedding...why not bring back Doomsday to mess it up? :lol:

3. Admiral_Young

Ugh Jet. ugh.

4. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Man, Doomsday is spent. Like, besides the facts that a six or eight-issue fistfight royale ending in Superman's death can only be done to any effect once--and that that's all Doomsday is good for--the last time I saw him with my own eyes, in Infinite Crisis, he got taken down in the space of a single double-page splash.*

Maybe DD was a threat back when Kryptonians were Byrnized and not yet back at their Silver Age power levels, but it's hard to take someone seriously after such a severe anticlimactic punking.

And according to Wikipedia there's a bit where Superman just straight-up kicked his ass pretty much by himself (plus, granted, the not inconsiderable help of the Martian Manhunter). And also gave him a speech about getting in touch with his feelings or some shit.

What a superior villain. : /

*Which was pretty damn bogus if you read Villains United, where he's built up as being the most fearsome thing there was in the Society's army. Good coordination there.

5. Admiral_Young

Not to mention the fact that Doomsday didn't even beat Superman to death, just pummeled him enough to weaken him until he was charged by the sun. I just like the use of the S blood symbol. Always been a sucker for that.

6. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    Wow, this shows how out of touch I am with some aspects of the DC Universe. I thought Doomsday was destroyed ages ago by going back to the beginning of time or some such. Apparently a ton of stuff happened after that!

7. Myasishchev

It is a wicked symbol. Just that Doomsday is, ultimately, a one-off villain... who was very effective that one time.

See, I really liked the Death of Superman, even though it was essentially a 150 or so page mindless punch-up, it was done in a manner that kept amping up the tension, and beautifully reflected the exhaustion of our hero, and the near-hopelessness of his cause. If he hadn't died (or "died") it would have been terrible. No other story with Doomsday will match that, or, even theoretically, can match that. Unlike Luthor or Brainiac, there isn't a possible ultimate Doomsday story waiting around the corner.

But there can't be such a thing as a single-use intellectual property in a serial genre.

8. Admiral_Young

I was a big fan of the storyline and actually thought Superman was dead. My mom told me that he would be back in like six months and this was a gimmick and she doesn't even read comics lol.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Nov 12, 2010
  10. Admiral_Young

Yeah I forgot about that Onslaught stuff.

11. Myasishchev

12. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The comments on the DC blog noted the fact that timing coincides with the DC Legacy comic, which takes a look at the specific era per issue. Coming up is the Doomsday/Bane issue.

Others think it is related to the DC e-comics and "Death of Superman" being available in digital format.

I sincerely doubt that they plan on having Doomsday and Superman square off again, with Superman dying (or "dying") again.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I'm always happy to see Doomsday return... as long as he's just a complication to a pre-existing story. The way he was used in the Imperiex War... in Infinite Crisis.... in New Krypton... The story shouldn't be about him.

14. Admiral_Young

Yeah DC Legacies #7 is coming out next week. Looking forward to that issue.

15. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with this; however, the immediate sequel was a nice wrap-up to the storyline that introduced Doomsday. It gave him a nice origin and explanation while getting rid of him without depowering him. AND it should have ended there.

I could say something similar about Bane and a few others...

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Bane's initial return appearances, what little I've seen of them, were lame, but I'm enjoying him on Secret Six. They found a good niche for the character.

17. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Since Doomsday is a constantly evolving creature always adapting to be superior to its foes, perhaps it is now adding some mental abilities. This would allow the character to be taken in a new direction, because as stated above he is played out.

18. Admiral_Young

I enjoyed the storyarc where he first returned at the side of Talia and Ra's considered him as his next suitable heir and as another test for the "Detective". Batman ultimately beat him this time in their rematch and reinforced Talia's love for him.

19. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

^ I haven't read that one yet. Which story is that? I know he's in "Contagion" right?

20. Admiral_Young

Yeah that's where it's from I believe. In my view it's the best use of Bain since the Knightfall made.