Space Battleship Yamato 2199

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Lynn Minmay, Feb 21, 2012.

1. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Aw, I don't think it'll be so bad. She'll always grow a new one back in the next episode. ;)

2. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe. But so far their damage has held over from one episode to the next unless there was a week or so between episodes. And most of that was just hull repairs rather than critical systems.

We'll see later how messed up Yamato gets, and what it takes to fix her. I think they said she'd get altered during the trip due to damage.

3. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, as they say:

It ain't really "Yamato" until the Third Bridge blows up and Yuki dies. ;)

4. Ithekro

Yuki has lots of backup this time...so it could be any of them die this time around. Plus possibly a double to take her place.

Also shock cannons at point blank range. Yamato taking out Dommel's forward batteries from less than 5 meters away! With the hulls scratching each others paint on the way.

There is a lot of stuff going on in Chapter 5 and my only real problem is that I don't understand more than 10% of what was said. I think if someone would translate the trailer we might have a better understanding of a few things.

5. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Actually, I was only half-joking about Yamato healing herself. We had seen several instances where Yamato was heavily damaged during the original run, only to be miraculously repaired in the next episode. The third bridge is only the most glaring example of this, and I think it can be attributed to more than just simple in-jokes or sloppy editing.

As I understand it, there is a particularly Japanese philosophy that states that all things in this world, even inanimate objects, contain a spirit. The fantastic anime movie "Spirited Away" was a good example of this concept. Yamato is the ancient name of Japan and seems to be representative of the embodiment of the soul of the Japanese people and national spirit. Many times the series narration says "stand up Yamato!" when she was shown to be disabled or heavily damaged, as if it was a living being having been knocked down. I believe it was so pervasive, the production house that did the original translations back in the 70's had to invent the concept of the "Star Force" to replace constant direct references to Yamato/Argo because they were probably concerned that American audiences wouldn't get it. The most significant evidence for this was in Final Yamato, where the ship was disabled by a Denguil vessel and everyone was knocked out. Yamato was adrift and then all of a sudden everything started turning on and Yamato soft-landed on her own. Even Analyzer/IQ-9 said with amazement before falling apart himself, "Yamato is alive?!?!". Yamato's final "death" scene on Aquarius was especially poignant, as it did not appear to sink in any kind of normal way that a sea-going vessel would, but instead writhing and convulsing before going down for the last time, as if fighting for its last breath.

So, short answer, yes, I firmly believe Yamato is perceived as a living, breathing thing in which humans are simply along for the ride. The ship/spirit was always the star of the show (for which it was always named) and she will heal herself. :)

6. Ithekro

Well Yamato has a "goddess" in the computer system according to Alter.

A sometimes active "goddess".

7. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I caught the episodes. They're pretty great, as always.

One thing I must not be remembering, unless this is the first time they introduced all of this, but who exactly is Yuria Misaki?

8. Ithekro

Yuria is one of the ship's youngest crew members (17 years old). She fills in for Yuki at radar when Yuki is off shift (one of at least two women that do so). She was seen in episode 2 when the crew is being taken to Yamato. She's the girl listening to an MP3 like player while the young guy next to her is checking her out (he's the young security guard). We see her next in episode 4 as she takes advise from Yuki. We see her again in episode 6 helping out the nurse with first aid.

She starts running the ship's onboard radio station in episode 7 and does that for most of Chapter 3 along with some contact with whatever is in the autopilot room which seems to be a major plot point for Chapters 4 and 5.

9. firehawk12

Well, I know she's been around, but in terms of her role in episode 14:
    Like... why isn't she affected by the telepathy thing and what the scene where she says she's now Yuria at the end of the episode.

I feel like I missed something, but I guess the alternative is that they're setting something up to be revealed later.

10. Ithekro

Oh that. Yeah that is confusing.

At the very beginning of the episode we see her at the autopilot dome again when some chimes start playing. Later we see her in the room with the coffin-like pod taking off her hairclips. Next time we see her is with her hair down waking up Yuki. Since the context before that is the other Yuki on lifesupport waking up in Yuki's memory (with the images of Yuria then Yurisha...both in Iscandarian clothing) freaking out the intruder, we can guess that Yurisha is in the coffin and using Yuria's body to help against the "witch".

They is some debate over if Yuki is the Yurisha, but it looks like Yurisha looks like Yuki, but isn't Yuki. Yurisha is in the coffin. Yuki is outside in Yamato. Yuria seems to be the body Yurisha decided to take over instead of Yuki.

Yurisha is likely the "goddess" Alter found in Yamato's computer. There is the off chance that Sasha's spirit is also onboard in the Wave Motion Core, but that is not been suggested aside from one line from Yurisha, who might just be out of touch and think that because Yamato has a Wave Motion Engine, Sasha must also be there, as that was likely the plan when they left Iscandar for Earth.

It is confusing, but I think Episode 14 was designed to be confusing. There are bits of foreshadowing in earlier episodes. Yuria says she use to see the supernatural all the time back on Earth...ghosts are nothing strange to her. See seems drawn to the autopilot's room after that. When the ship goes to warp while she's there, the "ghost in the machine" comes out to say hello to her...and knocks the ship into a dimentional rift because the autopilot wasn't doing its job. In episode 12 Yuria has a dream about being a nurse at the Central Hospital a year ago and seeing Yuki in a coma, only to be confronted by a spirit of a beautiful woman before waking up. However at that same time, one of the navigation staff saw the same beautiful woman manifest in the autopilot's room.

The preview of Chapter 5 has Yuria with her hair down still and talking in an unusual way.

11. firehawk12

Well, it's curious that no one brought it up after the fact anyway.

But yeah, I was just curious to see if I just completely missed something in the previous episodes or if they just started introducing this concept in 14 and it's part of setting up some of the mythology of the show.

I'm glad that it seems to be mostly the latter anyway.

12. Ithekro

The hope right now is that we'll get a longer trailer in the next week followed by a 9-10 minute preview of episode 15 early in April.

With that I hope to get more ship details and ships added to the lists. I need some technical data on the carriers and I need info on the not yet seen battle carrier (if they have this in this version of the series at all).

13. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

With regard to ships and ship details, with all the reworking so far (IE characters that appeared in later series already making an appearance here in the first Yamato 2199 storyline); I wonder if we'll see the dual Wave Motion cannoned Andromeda Class make an appearance before these 26 episodes are done?

(If not, I hope they continue with a re-imagined Comet Empire storyline next :bolian:)

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think Earth is really in a position to build another space battleship right now.

15. RangerH

RangerH Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Hi there,

I am new and I am a fan of Space Battleship Yamato (old and new. Man am I old).

Here is something that caught my attention with SBY2199. Nimmi, the ships technical expert and ships counselor, mentioned a few times, primarily to Sanada, him. Meaning the elder Kodai. In ep 13 she seems to mention that the blood runs in the family which Susumu Kodai overhears but did not hear fully, when she says I agree deflecting his question. Later on, she says that he is just as reckless as him. In ep 14, while in a dreamlike state, she says something to the effect "you don't hold back do you?". That statement can be taken two ways. But with some of the previous statements it looks like she is saying something about Mamoru Kodai.

We know that Sanada and Mamoru are friends, and from all statements said by Nimmi so far indicates she was also a friend or something more.

What do you all say?

16. Ithekro

There shouldn't be any sighting of a completed Space Battleship Andromeda in this series. (though a plan for it maybe) It was launched in story for the second film/series. So it won't be ready the first time Yamato comes home.

I hope to see Kirishima again though. I half expect it to fire a nice parting shot to a Gamilas warship with its bow cannon.

As for Niimi. I too think there is a connection between Kodai Mamoru, Sanada, and her. They are all around the same age (late 20s). A friend of mine speculated that if things had gone another way, she'd be Susumu's sister-in-law.

From what little we know of Chapter 5 at this time, I suspect Episode 17 will be the Yamato 2199 version of the Space Fortress episode, where we got most of Sanada's backstory in the original. Though I don't know what will happen to Niimi and the others after the mutiny (Shima will live, but he could be in the "dog house" with the Captain and crew for this one).

17. RangerH

Your right about the Andromeda not showing up (of course, we do not know what the script writers have in mind). Right now I believe that there are ships under construction which we may or may not see.

I agree about Niimi (sorry for spelling her name wrong in my previous post) possibly being something more than friends with Mamoru Kodai. I wonder if his death affected her judgement when the general ordered her to continue the Izumo plan underneath Capt Okita's nose.

Man the wait is going to be so worth it in June when some sites have chapter 5 eps up. If they follow standard procedure for mutinies, it would normally be after a court martial, death for all conspirators or just death for the ring leader. Of course Capt Okita will probably just assign brig time for all of them with Niimi, if she is the ring leader that called for it to happen, getting the longest sentence. We will have to wait and see.

18. Ithekro

It is a ways until June. However we should get at least the first half of episode 15 by early April.

Plus I am curious what the reaction will be to this series once it get on TV. There are few if any reviewers on the Youtube anime watcher scene that seem to be paying it any attention at all (aside from maybe a mention that it is showing in the Spring season). As we get closer I start seeing a few more people looking forward to it, or are at least curious due to some of the word put out by those watching the BD releases. That is assuming they haven't been watching online and just haven't reviewed it openly...or perhaps it isn't their cup of tea? I know of a few sites that were in the wait for it to be on TV mode last year, and at least one that watched the first episode last April (as it was online free as a preview) and said "too old, don't care". Or too 70s or something like that.

19. RangerH

Don't know to much about that, but I do know that at two sites that are showing the eps that have been uploaded, the ratings are at about 4.5 stars with several votes for the series. Also, the views have been very high too. Actual comments on the series not that many. Of course I do not know who uploaded it to one site, but it seems three eps (5, 13, and 14) the sub-titles got screwed up somehow for about 5-10 mins. The other site the sub-titles were ok. Also, it seems that someone did like a fan sub for it but it still had the regular sub-titles as well that came with it. Its kind of annoying when you see the same ep title at the end in two different fonts and in different places on the screen. lol...

As for the people that knock it before they try it (even if they did watch it) do not know what they are missing. Of course, if they only know of Marcross, or Gundam, then there might be an issue since those two particular series have been around since the late 70's early 80's with the various incarnations. While Space battleship Yamato was only around for 10 yrs at most when the last movie was made back then until a few yrs ago. So there are fans of anime sci-fi that may think what you said. Of course the music has been updated to Heisei era from Showa era. I learned about that when I was looking at some updated Godzilla, and Mothra Music and learned about it. As well as adding some new music to the mix makes it feel more modern and new. I guess there are people that are just fickle I guess!? :rolleyes:

Edit: At one of the sites, each ep with the exception of ep 13 has over 1,000 views. Ep 11 currently has almost 9,000 views. Of course the actual view count is skewed due to the fact that they also put the placement of the next eps up and already ep 15 has over a 1,000 views.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  20. Zaku

Zaku Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No creepy lolicon themes?

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??? They don't know what an anime fan really want???? :nyah: