The Measure Of A Man ? A Deleted Scene

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by TrekToday, Nov 30, 2012.

1. TrekToday

TrekToday Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On Monday, Season 2 of the Blu-ray edition of Star Trek: The Next Generation will make its debut and will include the extended version of The Measure of a Man. In The Measure of a Man, in order to avoid being disassembled by cyberneticist Commander Bruce Maddox, Data must convince Starfleet that he is a [...]

More...

2. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

Some scenes are better off deleted.

I had a look at that, and with Picard's opinion diametrically opposed to the opinion he ends up with, leaving that scene in would have made him seem far too vacillating in the end.

Taken out of context it is an interesting exchange though.

3. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Doesn't this come out Tuesday?

4. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

Wow...cool scene. What does Data say after that (if anything)?

Something like "If Starfleet decided to disect one of your organic crew members, would you agree to that?" would be very cool. As a reason for Picard to rethink in standpoint.

Thoughts?

I don´t think so. Actually the fact that he changes his opinion makes him seem more like a REAL person, and less some kind of utopian perfect Captain. It makes him more believable when his inital reaction is NOT exactly what we would expect from him.

5. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

I've always wanted to give a huge NFL kick to Maddox' nads, the new scene of him in Ten-Forward makes it double so.

6. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Totally agree. The extended scenes show the characters confronting their own questions on whether Data is actually a person or is he merely a sophisticated automaton. Perhaps even for the first time since they've known him. Not only that but it gives Picard an arc in the story and more nuance.