Smart/cellphones And Modern Life..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by JRS, Aug 24, 2013.

1. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

I miss payphones :(

Back in those days people were courteous about phoning; they'd excuse themselves and go stand in line to use a phone.

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hate to sound so cynical, but I think there are many reasons, including the ease of cell phones, why society now has gotten even less courteous to the point where they don't know what the word even means anymore. It really is sad how while our world has gotten so technological, that same world has lost itself in terms of actual face to face communication and courtesy.

3. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

This is why I don't even get excited when a girl texts me now.
    Maybe a few years if a girl I liked texted me I might think "oh cool she's thinking of me" or something. Nowadays people, esp girls, are just on their phones 24/7 shooting off texts, tweets, facebooks, snapchats etc, to everyone and everything so it barely means anything anymore.

.............. oh how I love life....

4. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Teenagers and their phones.. I so love to see them crash and lose everything.. :evil: oh the horror and drama that unfolds after their beloved phone kicked the bucket and they only then realise that they've lost everything. :evil:
    seeing them try and cope with not having a phone is equally hilarious.. oh the shame, oh the horror, waaaaaaaah!!! I've missed something on facepaste twatter or mybook :devil: and they actually have to TALK to someone *gasp!* or read a book!

5. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

I quite enjoy being without phone and internet during my vacations. But then I am not exactly a teenager :D

[​IMG]

6. trekkiedane

It can be hell on the lawn to have too many teenagers with too much time on their hands running around [​IMG]

7. rhubarbodendron

^or cause a baby boom ;)
    Funny that our generation (the sexually liberal hippie kids) knew far more about contraception and sexually transmittable diseases than modern kids do with all their internet, books, TV, sex-education at school etc. We had nothing but word-of-mouth and an occasional article in a magazine.

It seems to me that the kids nowadays are so used to technical appliances that they have completely forgotten how to be curious and how to take the initiative to find things out for themselves. It's a scary thought that those people who are supposed to care for us when we're old are the same ones that turn right in the middle of a bridge. Nevermind that it was bright daylight and the river below clearly visible, nor the fact that there was no road leading to the right. The navigational computer told them to turn right now. So there!
    Argh!!!!

8. trekkiedane

Well... if it gets 'em off my lawn [​IMG]

9. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

This is quite a funny prank video of people thinking this guy has broken their phones
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmN7kzy2mXQ

But check out how insane some of them go? Yeah I might be a bit annoyed but it's not the end of the fucking world. It also annoys me just how shit modern technology is that it probably would break if you did that. I could do that to my walkman and Gameboy as a kid and you know they'd be totally fine :)

10. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

While I can't speak for other countries, this statement would not appear to match reality in the U.S.

11. rhubarbodendron

amazing. No offense, but American teenagers showing common sense does come as rather a surprise, after my previous experience with that particular species in the internet.
    Present company excluded, of course.

12. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

Well, yeah, but then you get people like me who use our phones to read ebooks and so on - avoiding having to carry books on the train/bus/whatever, or find a pocket large enough for a proper e-reader. ;)