Season 7- Would U Rather Have Seen a Recurring Jadzia or Stick w/Ezri?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Ro_Laren, Dec 9, 2012.

?

What is your view on how Producers dealt with the Dax character?

1. I am glad that the Producers killed Jadzia and introduced Dax’s new host (Ezri) as a regular Season

27 vote(s)
    50.9%
  2. The Producers should not have killed Jadzia, but made her as a reoccurring Season 7 character.

21 vote(s)
    39.6%
  3. The Producers should not have killed Jadzia, but made her come back for the Series finale.

9 vote(s)
    17.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

In another Trekbbs thread, someone posted a TrekMovie.com convention report from last year. Apparently, at last year's Vegas Con:

My question is this: are you happy with how Producers dealt with the Dax character? That is, are you glad that they killed off Jadzia and brought Ezri along for Season 7 as the new Dax host? Or, would you rather have seen Jadzia Dax stick around as a recurring character or perhaps just in the Season finale?

As Terry Farrell was adamant about leaving the show, I wish that the Producers would have given her a Season 7 reccurring role (Jadzia Dax and Kira Nerys are my favorite DS9 characters) vs. killing her. Since the Dominion War was going on, it makes it seem very plausible that Starfleet could have reassigned Jadzia Dax somewhere other than DS9, even if that meant she could not be stationed with Worf, her husband. Season 7 episodes, like those of other seasons, took place in many venues other than DS9. There was a lot of interaction with other Starfleet ships. The Producers could have very easily have brought Jadzia Dax back for random episodes or just the Series finale.

It makes you wonder – did the Producers decided to kill Jadzia out of spite? Or was it solely for creative reasons? That is, when they decided to kill Jadzia, did they do so solely because they thought that it would be interesting to explore the ramifications of her death on the crew? Or, did they not only want to explore the ramifications of her death on the crew, BUT HAD THEY ALSO already thought about the idea of bringing Dax back in a new host?

**** I have a typo in one of the poll options and Trekbbs won't let me edit the typo. The word "reoccuring" (second poll option) needs to be changed to "recurring" - can a Mod pelase make this change?? Thanks in advance!

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Re: Season 7- Would U Rather Have Seen a Recurring Jadzia or Stick w/E

Farrell signed for six years, and apparently was pursuing other offers when the 7th season was offered. She decided to accept an offer for a new comedy series, where she worked another four years. We don't know why she left DS9. Maybe she wanted to do comedy. Maybe the hours were better, with fewer all-nighters. Maybe she was offered more money. Maybe she had the hots for Ted Danson.

The producers had a choice of keeping Dax alive for possible guest appearances (no guarantee Farrell would be available), and bringing in a completely different and unrelated character to replace her. Or they had the option of sacrificing Jadzia and moving the symbiont into a new character, a science fiction opportunity.

Once they decided to kill Jadzia, I would have preferred the Dax character being killed off completely, giving Sisko a double loss. I have no objections to Nicole DeBoer, and she could have become a completely different non-trill character.

3. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

Killing Jadzia was the right choice, it would have been silly not doing it, actually seeing an established Trill getting a new host is much more interesting than just hearing about it or seeing guest stars, but I think the new Dax should have been male

4. Melakon

But that would have left Kira as the only female main cast member. I don't think they wanted to do that.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Should've killed her and the slug. Ezri was a cop-out.

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I'm glad they did what they did. Jadzia being in "some" episodes means things stay as they are. Killing Jadzia gave them dramatic opportunities. And say what you will about Ezri, bringing her in gave them even more.

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I hate it when contracts determine who lives and dies, nothing breaks the fantasy of a show more than knowing 'fourth wall' forces drastically changed the outcome. I would have much rather given her a recurring role.

Character deaths lose all their dramatic impact if you know they happened because the actress's contract was up instead of because it was the logical outcome of the plot.

8. Melakon

For hypothetical situations, are you advocating they kill the actor as well? ;)

9. Kira Nerys

Kira Nerys Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would have preferred that Jadzia stayed as a reoccuring character .I don't know if that would have been an option for Terry Ferrell at that time.

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I too think the "new Dax" should have been male, perhaps with lingering feelings towards both Worf and Bashir.

Kira wouldn't have been exactly the only female on the shop, just the only female star. Lovely Leeta would have been there too.

11. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I liked Ezri. It must annoy the haters that she is a Captain in the novels, but it shows the popularity of the character.

12. Takeru

They had Leeta, Kai Winn and Kasidy as major recurring characters and they could have used Keiko morw, it's not like Kira was the only female left on the show. TNG had Marina Sirtis as the only female main cast member during season 2, it happened before.
    Or they could have introduced a new female main character and have the male Dax be recurring.

I think a male Dax would have been more interesting, it would have been great to see what changing gender does to a joined Trill. How does a straight male host deal with memories of being in love with men, especially if the former husband is still around? What about Bashir? What would he feel if the male Dax still has feelings for him and is similar in personality to Jadzia Dax? What if Bashir recognized some of Jadzia's quirks that he thought of as cute or lovable before, woult the person be more important of the newly attached penis?
    Things like that were touched on a little bit during the Odan episode of TNG and the Lenara Khan DS9 episode but it would have been different with major characters over an entire season or at least part of it, the most important part would have been that it involves male characters, the "gay stuff" in both the Odan and Khan episodes was about women.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  13. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

^ None of the characters you mentioned are members of Starfleet or the Bajoran Militia.

14. Takeru

Why does that matter?

15. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

At the time it aired in the late 90s, I would have said let Jadzia be recurring and/or bring her back for the finale. In hindsight, I am not so sure. Ezri has grown on me over the years. From the producers point of view, if there was any character that would be easy to kill and replace, it's Dax. You get someone new who's not really new and still has connections to the cast.

I must say, I always thought it was ironic that (on of the reasons) Terry Farrell left because her character didn't get enough storylines, but as a result of her departure the Ezri Dax character got several.

16. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

At the time, it was said that they had to replace Jadzia with another woman instead of perhaps a man or not replacing her and making her recurring because it would have left Kira the only female lead. I agree with you, though. There were several female secondary characters who could have been 'elevated' and given better storylines. DS9 was always so good at developing their secondary characters that I think it would have worked just fine.

(BTW, Marina Sirtis was not the only female lead during TNGS2. Diana Muldar played Dr. Pulaski and was a lead character)

I agree that it would have been interesting, but they would have never gone there. There was obviously going to be some tension between Worf and NewDax. But if NewDax had been a man, the writers would have completely ignored any of that. Yes, there was TNG's "The Host" and "Rejoined" but people are always more comfortable with female same-sex situations than with male. And I just can't imagine that homosexuality is something that's even remotely considered amongst Klingon men.

17. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh I don't know about that, the Spartans, the Zande, the Samurai, were all warrior cultures that openly included homosexuality.

Imagining a bird of prey on a long extended patrol, mostly male crew, close quarters, sweaty, unwashed, eating raw meat, clad in leather.

:) * sigh * :)

(I'll be in my bunk)

18. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Personally, if I were to decide, I'd have kept Jadzia around, and maybe had her killed midway the season, while also bringing back the Daz symbiont with a male host - that way, it ventures into different territory than expected, and raises the stakes for the rest of the characters by alluding that, you know, maybe they'd all die by the end (and to some, Sisko did die).

That said, I don't have a problem with Ezri. She's OK, if not quite as enjoyably nasty as Jadzia was, but she has grown on me as well.

19. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Out of the choices I went with option 2. It would be a bit odd for Jadzia to disappear and not appear until the finale.

However, my choice would has been stated already here that there was no new regular Dax. It would have been interesting to see a new Dax return, but for only an episode or two and draw a line under it there.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

There was a fourth option available to the producers, kill off the Dax symbiant as well.