standalone episodes or serialized season for next TV series?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by jefferiestubes8, Oct 4, 2010.

?

Standalone episodes or serialized season for next TV series?

Poll closed Feb 1, 2011.
  1. completely standalone episodes

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. some story arcs over 2-3 episodes only for guest stars

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. multiple story arcs with also standalone episodes

22 vote(s)
    44.9%
  4. 2-parter episodes for season finale's ONLY

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  5. completely serialized season like "Mad Men" or "Heroes"

13 vote(s)
    26.5%
  1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

What type of storytelling would you like:
    Standalone episodes or serialized season for next TV series?

2. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

The writing for Babylon 5 had a rather intricate arc as I recall. It was one of the things I greatly liked about the show. I don't know if thats what you are talking about for Mad Men or Heroes as I haven't watched those, but I'd like to see that.

They sort of did this on DS9, but I think they could have done more.

3. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You missed an important option. Standalone episodes with basic continuity between them. White Collar would be a current example for this. Each episode is its own self contained story, but for regular watchers there is also the overall Kate/Fowler story which spans the entire show.

4. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

AviTrek, it still would be Trek and character development is always happening over a season. This poll was for plot story style only not character development.

5. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

First of all, I think Trek(especially the earlier episodes) tended to have no real character development. At the end of each episode, everyone reboots back to the start. Also, a show like White Collar has a plot that stretches through the season, even if each episode is still mostly a crook of the week plot.

6. illeanacross

illeanacross Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'd have to go with Multiple Story Arcs that contribute to a bigger plot (whether that be a season wide or series wide) but also keep the standalone episodes. However, the standalones shouldn't just be filler, they should be for character growth/study.

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Multiple story arcs with also standalone episodes.

Some shows should be entirely serialized but Star Trek doesn't need to be.

8. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Multiple story arcs with also standalone episodes.

I like continuity. I also like cute little one offs. After the Domion were introduced in DS9 i thought a lot of the one offs were not as good as a TNG one off. HOwever the story arcs were amazing!

9. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I prefer how TNG did it--mostly standalones, a number of multi-episode arcs, and with the finale connected to the first episode. Along the way, there could be some continuity, but it wouldn't be a case in which if you missed an episode, you were screwed...

10. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

This for me.

11. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

One of the things I liked about Babylon 5, and DS9 did this a little bit, was that they had the series spanning arc, multi episode arcs, and stand alone stories.

Although you're right about the missing an episode. B5 was definitely one where if you missed an episode you could easily get lost.

12. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

This. Both would suit me fine.

13. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't mind seeing something completely serialized, like The Wire, if it was...as good as The Wire.

14. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Stand alones, please. For those of us who have more than one job (you gotta love the 21st Century!), it's almost impossible to keep up with any kind of serialized TV.

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't have any trouble, but maybe that's because there's about three serialized shows on right now that are worth bothering with and the trusty DVR collects them all until I have some time to watch.

The sad state of affairs in TV makes serialization more attractive of an option.

16. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    This is the best answer. It doesn't have to be a super-strict serial, but I do think it would be a shame to not use such an incredible universe to its fullest potential by carrying over repercussions and character growth.

Which brings me to:

During our TNG rewatch this past year, the wife and I have noticed a lot more "callbacks" to previous events than we ever did previously, but there's still too many instances of Really Big Things happening, and then afterwards they're completely ignored, or worse, only brought up whenever Another Really Big Thing happens (or really, really worse: when a Really Big Thing happens that resembles a previous Really Big Thing and nobody notices the similarities).

17. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Since I'd eventually watch it on DVD anyway, completely serialized wouldn't bother me at all.

Although my personal preference would be a combination of one huge series spanning arc, several sub-arcs contributing to it and the occasional standalone episode. Think DS9/B5.

18. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It's called plot relevancy--another aspect of dramatic serials that varies depending on it's importance to the story.

But then it could be argued that there are so many Really Big Things that have happened that when a New Really Big Thing happens that is similar to a Previous Really Big Thing, our heroes may not notice how much those two Really Big Things were alike until after the dust clears...

19. CaptJamesScott

CaptJamesScott Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I think multiple story arcs with standalone episodes which incorporate aspects of said arcs is the way to go.

20. cwalrus2

cwalrus2 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think they should do it like DS9 which was serialized to a point with multiple story arcs but if you missed an episode, you weren't necessarily lost. Anyway with DVR, hulu, primetime ondemand, full episodes streaming, and episode summaries readily available seconds after the show ends online I think anyone who wants to follow any show on television has plenty of options available to them if they missed an episode. I still remember setting my VCR to record TNG and DS9 all those years ago so I don't think that having a serialized show would be a problem.

I think the main problem is costs of episodes compared to how many people will watch. Because having a scifi program entails high production costs, CBS has to really be confident that the show will be watched and that the show will make money. It's going to be a while. Perhaps they're waiting to see if the next movie will create more of a demand for Trek too.