Do you love or hate the Ferengi episodes, overall?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Navaros, Aug 17, 2008.

?

Do you love or hate the Ferengi episodes, overall?

1. I love the Ferengi episodes, overall.

65 vote(s)
    69.1%
  2. I hate the Ferengi episodes, overall.

29 vote(s)
    30.9%
  1. ninetofive

ninetofive Lieutenant Red Shirt

Permission granted. Spread the meme.

2. Nedersong

Nedersong Captain

The Ferengi were neutered, when they were completely reduced to comedic relief, not to mention just becoming another Federation. I mean come on. Not all beings want to be the federation or humanesque.

It gets tiresome seeing Trek neuter an alien race just because prudes get all upset that it's presenting the children with negative stereotypes and is harmful to children crap.

3. Magisterfrodo

Magisterfrodo Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't vote as there wasn't an in-between option. I used to hate them. When I bought the DVDs and watched them through, I warmed up to the Ferengi episodes a little. I no longer hate them, but they are not among my favorites.

4. Photon

Photon Commodore Commodore

I've grown to like these episodes.

5. Eric Cheung

Eric Cheung Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Are you referring to the so-called Frat Pack? If so, that's generally considered a different group of people than those you cited. In addition to Judd Apatow it generally includes Luke and Owen Wilson, Vince Vaughn, Will Ferrell, Jack Black, Ben Stiller, and Steve Carell.

I think the Apatow movies are seriously very good. They sort of combine the vulgar with intelligently crafted, well-developed characters I can invest in and care about, kind of like Kevin Smith but better. Steve Carell is solid in just about everything he does. Ben Stiller and Will Ferrell are hit or miss, as are the Wilson brothers.

Of the other people you mentioned, I think Adam Sandler and Jim Carrey have done some good work, Rob Schneider hasn't done much I care for and yeah, Eddie Murphy generally makes awful movies now but was great years ago.

6. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

I don't always dig the intended "funniness" of the Ferengi episodes either. But even in episodes where I ain't appreciating the "funny", I can always find something to appreciate about Shimerman's, Eisenberg's, Grodénchik's and Combs' performances. IMO their great acting almost always keeps the episodes fascinating regardless of if the plot is semi-weak, or not as funny as intended. :techman:

7. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

are you joking? The Magnificent Ferengi is a fantastic episode!

8. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

No kidding. That one along with Business As Usual are my two fave Ferengi episodes.

9. ninetofive

Are you shitting me?

10. Nemesis

Nemesis Lieutenant Red Shirt

I love almost every DS9 episode.. the only ferengi episode I don't like is (season two episode) with that female ferengi playing as a man.. just because it's stupid..

11. Warp14

Warp14 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Ferengi? I'd sooner have Jar Jar Binks jump studios and universes and watch him in those episodes instead.

12. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

nope. have you SEEN it?

13. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seen it and loved it.
    :)

"This is the sloppiest, most amateurish operation I've ever seen! If you ever do something like this again... count me in." :lol:

14. Ro_Laren

Ro_Laren Commodore Commodore

I definitely hate the episodes overall.... Makes me want to change the channel when they air.

15. kissthestar

kissthestar Captain Captain

I liked the one where Quark beat the crap out of that Klingon.

16. Supernuke

Supernuke Commander Red Shirt

I like almost all of them. Obviously Profit and Lace is terrible. I really enjoy Rules of Acquisition, although I have found no love for it on this board. Little Green Men and The Magnificent Ferengi are my favourites.

17. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I generally like most of the Ferengi episodes. However they're the episodes I rewatch the least.

18. ZERO_of_ZERO

ZERO_of_ZERO Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Little Green Men

One of the best (or at least funniest) DS9 episodes.

19. MyCylon

MyCylon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think what's a real shame about the Ferengi episodes is that, at some point they just went totally overboard with the goofy, "funny" side of them instead of building on some of the more (IMHO) interesting aspects concerning their culture and society.

They actually started out pretty well, I think, when the Nagus was first introduced. And they did have some really good material such as "Business as Usual" later on but far too little IMHO.
    I think the Ferengi worked best when they managed to balance the drama with the comedy. "Business as Usual" is a prime example, really, because the subject matter is actually pretty tough and well dealt with throughout the episode. At the same time, the way Quark handles and resolves the issue is hilariously funny (in a slightly sinister way) and could only be done by a Ferengi.
    It's when the drama gets discarded ("Ferengi Love Songs", "The Emperor's New Cloak", anyone?) that the Ferengi episodes just become totally annoying and a waste of screen time in my opinion.

Having said that, there's also the odd episode such as "Little Green Men" that manages to simply be fun - though some of the comments on our time and culture shouldn't be forgotten.

Finally, I have to comment on "The Magnificent Ferengi". Yes, I've seen it, and more than once, mind you. And, frankly, I don't like it. There's some funny moments, I think, but overall it's a waste of two perfectly good (if not excellent) Vorta characters for the sake of pretty mindless comedy. Don't get me wrong: Mindless comedy can be terrific. It just shouldn't result in a price to pay that IMHO is too high.

20. ninetofive

What do people think of "Bar Association"? I'm considering moving it into the 'Bad' list.