My Grievances of Nutrek. What makes me a hater...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Mycroft Maxwell, Sep 22, 2013.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: My Greivences of Nutrek. What makes me a hater...

I'd go with Horizon, Azati Prime, and In a Mirror, Darkly.

Yes! I pick the Travis episode as one of the best ENT eps.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Travis was pretty cool in IAMD, too.

3. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

In a Mirror, Darkly was definitely ENT's finest hour(s). (Sad though it is to say that a show's best work didn't even happen in its home universe.)

4. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.

I've stated several times that I don't like the Enterprise characters. I found them unlikeable, with the exception of the dog. He was cute.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

E2 is in my top 5 Trek eps of all time.

But see, it gets better Timewalker, the same way TNG gets better. First seasons are often dry, lumbering, awkward.. especially the first time. Once you love a series affection creeps in for even the worst bits.

ENT's first two seasons aren't great, but the do have some winners and they are often just as good as all the bog standard, "beam down to new place, things are not as they seem" eps of TOS and TNG. And then season 3 and 4 get verrrrrry interesting.

Also: ENT is full of attractive shirtless men, they win over all the other series in this category.

AND my god SHRAN! You have missed Shran!!!

I could just about cry at this point.

6. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

Having revisited the show just recently, I can totally understand that given how badly written the characters were in the first two seasons. However, the third season was a real shot in the arm making the characters for the first time truly interesting and compelling to watch. A prime example is the portrayal of Trip, who started off as a dumb Southern charmer stereotype and then becomes a broken man trying to hide from pain he felt over the loss of his kid sister. Suddenly I started to actually care for them as people because the writers started to treat them as such rather than a bunch of cardboard cut outs. Give ENT a chance and maybe you'll find something rewarding in the end, I think it's totally worth giving it a shot for those later episodes. The fourth season, as many say, has some of the best Trek in the franchise.

Heck, season three does a better rip-off of Star Wars than Abrams Trek.

7. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Camp worked FINE for TOS and made it very charming and enjoyable. But to see TOS remade withOUT the camp is quite a thing to behold! The production values are tremendous ... even the acting in the reBoot series has been far superior, in every way. Indeed, it's how STAR TREK: The Original Series was meant to be. Truly, sirs ...

8. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I keep saying we should be glad that we got a serious remake of TOS and not something like Dragnet or the Brady Bunch got: where the, production camped it up and made movies that were parodies of the shows they were about. They could have easily done that with TOS and didn't. They set out to make Star Trek, as in TOS, movies. Their ideal of what TOS would look like if it was made today instead of the 60s.

The new movies are meant to really tie in to the overall franchise, they're meant to be about one thing: reimagining and retelling TOS. And they're doing it with a lot more respect and care than I--honestly--would have expected given the source material.

We even got a Death Star in season 3. :lol:

9. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Actually I don't think I liked any of the characters either. Not even the dog. They were good to look at semi-naked I suppose.

I felt sorry for T'Pol hen Trip dumped her - that's caring isn't it?

I liked the Xindi arc. I'm just thinking that if anyone died I personally wouldn't be distressed.
    Maybe for me they made the mistake of making everyone a bit obnoxious in Season 1 and from then on I didn't like them. I suppose this was to contrast them with the 'perfect people' from TNG.
    You can like a series without being invested in the characters, though.

10. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic

Twilight is, I think, my favourite ENT episode, and definitely among my all-time favourite ST episodes.

11. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Are you blowing this camp horn everywhere? I just came from a thread in the other movie forum where you were explaining how TOS was camp and nothing compared to TNG, which demonstrates as seriously an ass-backwards way of looking through the scope as talking up these Abrams things as anything other than popcorn that arrives already stale.

12. Harbinger

Harbinger Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This is a good observation. The Xindi arc really feels like good ol'e fashioned space opera in many ways.

13. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

I enjoyed my time at Camp Horn. We spent most of the summer making knock-off Gucci handbags to sell on the streets of New York...

... Hmmm... Now that I think about it...

14. BigJake

Sir, put down the peyote buttons and step away from the cat. Nice and easy, now...

15. Mycroft Maxwell

Mycroft Maxwell Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

If you'll notice, a lot of stuff that was meant to be serious was campy. I find Gunsmoke, Bonanza, Big Valley, Rifleman, Perry Mason, Ironside, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Baywatch are all campy. In the future I will see people say "Look how campy Law and Order is with that camera shaking all over place. Everyone has an accusing attitude. HEy look that guy on CSI miami always walks sideways".

16. BigJake

"... and it looks like these two were killed with a tent stake."

"Well, Al, I guess murder in Miami..."

* puts on sunglasses *

"... just got a little more camp."

YYYEEEEAAHHHHHH!

17. ChowdaHead

ChowdaHead Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

intentional. that was the whole point, genius:mallory:

18. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think Knight Rider was ever meant to be taken as truly serious like the other shows you listed; and Baywatch was pretty intentional with how it was supposed to showcase skin from the get-go.

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

This part of the pitch for CSI: Miami as a tentpole summer film was not well received....

20. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

One of the 20 something 'Entertainment Reporters' on cable mentioned that they thought TNG was way 'camper' than TOS. He was rating a TNG episode. When I look at that episode (a great one) I tend to agree.