A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

The title for the first episode has been confirmed as "The North Remembers" by HBO's online schedule. The episode has a running time of 53 minutes. A source that gave Winter Is Coming that episode title a little while ago also provided the second episode title as "Nightlands".

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I was hoping the first episode would be called "A Clash of Kings".

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sure it'll be in there somewhere.

4. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The Blu-ray release of the first season of Game of Thrones is loaded with extra features. Winter Is Coming has a rundown of them:

The Complete Guide to Westeros

A comprehensive, interactive guide of the houses, histories, and lands of Game of Thrones. The guide is broken down into three sections:

Houses –
    Contains six gorgeously animated histories of the great houses as told by characters from the series: Robb and Bran (Stark), Catelyn (Arryn), Robert (Baratheon), Tywin (Lannister), Viserys (Targaryen) and Jeor Mormont (Night’s Watch). Also includes bios of each member of the house and their various servants and vassals.

Histories & Lore
    – Nineteen animated histories of the Seven Kingdoms, as told by various characters from the series. Certain histories have multiple characters telling the same story from differing viewpoints. Here is the full list of histories with the character(s) that narrate each:

The Children of the Forest, The First Men, and the Andals – Bran
    The Age of Heroes – Bran
    The Old Gods and the New – Bran and Catelyn
    The History of the Night’s Watch – Jeor, Luwin, Tywin
    The Order of the Maesters – Luwin
    Valyria & the Dragons – Viserys
    The Field of Fire – Viserys, Robb
    Mad King Aerys – Robert, Luwin, Tywin
    Robert’s Rebellion – Robert, Viserys
    The Sack of King’s Landing – Viserys, Robert, Luwin, Tywin

Lands – Learn more about the regions and lands of Westeros and Essos in this interactive map.

In-Episode Guide

The same content that is available in the Complete Guide, only accessible via an on-screen menu while watching the episode. The content available changes based on what is happening in the episode and certain aspects are only accessible once they are “unlocked” by the action on screen.

Anatomy of an Episode

A view into how they filmed episode six of the first season, with various behind-the-scenes features and interviews popping up throughout the episode.

Making Game of Thrones

A 30-minute look into the making of Game of Thrones. New interviews with Nina Gold and her casting associate Robert Sterne, Ramin Djawadi, Tom Martin (construction manager), Adam McInnes (vfx supervisor), Jim Warren (animal handler), and others. Of course, we also get quotes from David & Dan, GRRM, the directors and much of the cast as well. Some new cast interviews too, from Rory McCann, Alfie Allen, Kate Dickie, Iain Glen, and Finn Jones. The feature covers all aspects of the production from casting to set building, stunts and visual effects, costumes and more.

More Behind the Scenes Videos

Character Profiles – Short videos where the actors talks about the characters they play. Same as the ones released prior to Season One airing.

From the Book to the Screen –
    GRRM and David & Dan talk about the challenges of adapting this story to television.

Creating the Show Open –
    Interviews with Angus Wall and the Elastic team about how they created the title sequence.

Creating the Dothraki Language –
    Interviews with David J. Peterson, David & Dan and the actors about creating and speaking the Dothraki language.

The Night’s Watch –
    Interviews with GRRM, David & Dan and the Night’s Watch cast about the history and the ways of the Watch.

Hidden Dragon Eggs
    – Six hidden dragon eggs that contain cast audition footage.

Episode Previews & Recaps

Short previews and recaps of each episode. These are the same videos that HBO released as the season was airing.

Episode Commentaries

Ep 1 – David Benioff & Dan Weiss
    Ep 2 – Lena Headey, Mark Addy, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
    Ep 3 – Maisie Williams, Sophie Turner, Isaac Hempstead-Wright
    Ep 4 – Bryan Cogman & Kit Harington
    Ep 6 – Emilia Clarke, Harry Lloyd, Peter Dinklage, Dan Minahan
    Ep 8 – George R. R. Martin
    Ep 10 – David Benioff, Dan Weiss, Alan Taylor

5. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

HBO has released another behind the scenes video for S2 - "An invitation to the set":
    (it contains even better views of Brienne and Melisandre)
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfPtTnaDbdk[/yt]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  6. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sounds like some great stuff. I'm especially looking forward to the commentaries. I wonder why Sean Bean wasn't involved in much though. No commentaries, and no narration. Ned would be a great narrator for some of the history stuff.

7. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I was surprised by that too, I'm sure it isn't some bitterness over being killed off or indifference to the show. He enjoyed this role and everything.

8. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The cast probably participated in putting together material for the Blu-ray special features during the production of the second season, so that would account for Sean Bean's absence from them.

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Not sure why he'd be bitter, he HAD to have read enough to know it was coming! It's not some random creation and they killed him for shock value, it's adapting a pretty well-known series, and that's kinda the lynchpin of the whole series' decent into clusterfuck...

10. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Yep, that is the most likely explanation. Bean is also an actor with a busy schedule.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok, I'm kinda confused by something. I haven't gotten to ACK yet, but I just read that Margaery Tyrell is marries Joffrey. So does that mean in the show they're going to have a character played by a 30 year old actress married to a character who's played by an actor who appears to be in his mid-to-early teens? Or are they changing that for the show?

12. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

They'll probably go ahead with the marriage (the outcome of which has a huge spoiler connected to it, but you obviously don't mind being spoiled since you're in this thread) and simply play up the age difference of this particular political match.

13. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Since they increased the number of years between Robert's rebellion and AGoT for the show, everyone is a few years older anyway.

14. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Margaery's casting seems very odd to me, but at this point I've given up trying to make sense of their creative decisions. We've already established that marrying very young is expected, and then we're asked to believe that a woman from one of the most powerful houses who clearly has been sexually mature for a decade or more has remained unmarried all that time? I don't buy it.

15. BlueStuff

BlueStuff Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Who knows how the showrunners will handle it? They're not opposed to making changes so long as the basic story remains the same.

16. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Yeah. They could make her a widow for all we know.

17. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

If Mace was holding out to marry his daughter into the royal family, it makes sense (and, indeed, in the books we're told he wants her to wear a crown). The Tyrells are one of the most powerful houses in the realm; even if it didn't pan out, he would easily be able to find a good match among one of his own bannermen or one of the other great houses.

18. BlueStuff

What do you see Ros getting up to this season? Will she continue to be serve as an exposition witnessing whore or will she get some kind of story arc?

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

The new trailer has a quick shot of her crying while Littlefinger consoles her, so it looks like she has at least somewhat of a story arc.

20. BlueStuff

Could just be her usual reaction to seeing Pycelle naked.