what's your local weather?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by rhubarbodendron, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sunny, 10C, pretty nice really.

2. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Foggy here and might break out of the 40s.

3. nureintier

nureintier Commander Red Shirt

/I used to live a few miles from Lake Erie. I remember one time we got a few feet of snow and the electricity went off in our dorms for half a day from all the fallen trees and the weight of the snow breaking stuff. Good times!

Got about a foot of snow yesterday, still snowing. It's supposed to warm up to almost 60F this weekend, though.

4. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, not to mention, bitter winters.

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It got just warm enough for some of the snow to start melting today!

It's funny how warm 33F feels when it's been below Zero for the last couple weeks.

6. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

It was nice today, up to 69F.

7. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

wow, that's hot!
    Freezing fog here and according to the forecast it'll last till tomorrow evening when we'll switch to freezing rain for a change. We'll definitely get a green Christmas this year. And possibly a very stormy one.

Mari? Did you get home safe and sound yesterday through the snow?

8. mari

mari Captain Captain

I eventually got home. My spawn was very upset and kicked me viciously all night, though, he doesn't like when mommy gets stressed. First I narrowly missed hitting a parked car (seriously, the brakes finally worked about an inch away), then took a left up a hill and got about 20 feet and veered off to the shoulder and couldn't get going again. Took 45 minutes for my husband to sign out from work, clean off his car, and locate me (he still doesn't know the roads here very well), then he managed to get us out but with a lot of sliding all over the place. Car is now in a parking lot, where we decided it was safest, and we went home in my husband's car, which is a Subaru, with the 4 wheel drive and all that. I'm working from home today, and I guess once I'm convinced the roads are clear we'll go get the car. (He also works from home. We're very lucky we can do that.)

Then I woke up this morning and the furnace had shut off during the night. It was about 48 in here. Fortunately, my father/landlord hadn't quite left for work yet and could show me how to reset it.

In short, I'm very much done with winter, and I'm never going in to work again if there's even a threat of snow. I don't even know what it's like outside, other than sunny and still too damn cold.

9. rhubarbodendron

Pheeew, quite a Murphy-day! I'm glad you're ok. This sliding sounds really mean. You do have winter tyres on your car, I trust? I recommend a set of snow chains in addition. Nowadays they have systems that are quite easy to put on. I work in the country a lot and made really good experiences with the chains. You get more grip and traction even on the smoothest surface and in snow that's several inches high. You just have to take care to not drive too fast with them as that might damage both the chains and your tyres. (And it's also not very good for the tarmac)
    I use the chains on muddy forrest paths, too. Very useful but one has to drive really slow then, else the path gets damaged.

Local weather in Bavaria tonight: horribly cold! It's a clear and starry night and I used the low temperatures to cool the shortbread dough for my cookies out on the terrace. I was tempted to have a look at Jupiter with my telescope (or dad's rather) but after 2 minutes my teeth started to rattle.

10. mari

mari Captain Captain

Theoretically the car has all-weather tires, but it also has front-wheel drive and is super-light. The problem I had was the city did absolutely no plowing, sanding or salting until the roads were already terrible. My mother said they made the news because they did so little. The state also did very little on their secondary roads, which is most of my route.

Today is supposed to start a brief warming period - expected high of 42F and plenty of sunshine to melt the snow and ice. Currently 33, and still pretty windy, which will probably be worse at work since we're up on a hill over the water there. People are complaining that there won't be snow on Christmas - well, the last time it snowed on Christmas here was 1993, so either we're overdue or it's not something we can reasonably expect. I shall send them some cheese to go with their whine.

11. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

"The Wheels on the Bus go round and round, round and round... the wheels on the bus go round and round... all through the fog." :devil:

I may break a few hearts, but temperatures here are in the 50s with highs this weekend in the mid-70s F. Christmas Day will be around 52 F.

I won't even tell you what Hawaii will be like the next day!:techman:

12. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

-4 here, back to normal. Ugh.

13. Owain Taggart

Was really nice today. Did some snowshoeing. Got a nice bit of air.

14. SmoothieX

I love snowshoeing, and we got plenty of it. I gotta hit the trails.

15. rhubarbodendron

No snow here. It's a frosty but dry morning, cloudy skies with a tiny hint of blue in it (if you have enough imagination). Forecast predicts fog again for tomorrow and then clouds, fog and rain taking turns with temperatures rising to the low 40s (5-8°C). It's like spring. (Good for my heating bill, though)

16. mari

mari Captain Captain

I don't know what it peaked at today, but it's 47 right now and lots of the snow and ice is melting. Good enough for now!

17. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Or:

18. Owain Taggart

Oh yeah, totally. I love it! So easy to get into, and there's an element of feeling free when doing it. And the trail we use takes us through forest where many chickadees hang out. We bring suet with us and we've has success with them eating right out of our hands.

19. SmoothieX

The chickadee thing is awesome. I dobut I'd have much luck with that, as I typically have a big slobbering dog with me.

The problem I have in ND is that it is just ridiculously cold and windy. I don't think the 'feels like' ever broke -20 today.

20. Owain Taggart

Hah yeah, I suspect the dog would more likely scare them away. A few years ago, they were so very curious and I even had a couple of them land on my toque (there's a Canadian word for you ;))