Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

I can't keep track of all these shifting teams. I'll probably stick with that I'm already getting. All the Avengers, X-Men, Iron Man, FF... Though I'll try Cap Am for the JRJR art.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll also be continuing to read the books I am now that are not part of Marvel Now. Such as Amazing Spider-Man, along with Wolverine and the X-Men.

J. Scott Campbell Marvel Now variant cover sketches reveal some members of Hickman's "Avengers" team. They are Spider-Man, Iron Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Hulk.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/08/31/midtown-marvel-now-variants-reveal-avengers-team/

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  3. Admiral_Young

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who is that background between Captain Marvel and Captain America?

5. Admiral_Young

Don't know. Can't make him out, don't think he's a new character though...probably in silhouette on purpose.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The pattern on his chest is... 0-0

It could be Madrox?

7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

apparently its a character called Manifold...Eden Fesi from Secret Warriors.

8. Admiral_Young

That makes sense since Hickman wrote Secret Warriors. It would seem there will be a few characters "graduating" to Avengers status in this book, which makes sense when you have a 18 member roster. A combination of old and new members.

9. Admiral_Young

10. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

But I have to wonder what is to become of Daisy's (or, if you prefer, "Quake") Avengers status? Even if she is no longer an active Avenger (and, frankly, she's more of an asset running SHIELD anyway), it would seem that Hickman probably has "custody" of her again.

This week's books--

The Mighty Thor 19-- Part two of the "Everything Burns" crossover with Journey Into Mystery. Poor Loki. It would seem that, despite his very best of intentions, every decision that he has made since the beginning of his new journey has been a disasterous one. :lol: And that last page! How the knife twists! The road to Hel, indeed.:eek:

I blame the magpie, Ikol, of course. The spirit, or "echo", of Loki's previous incarnation warned his younger self right off the bat that he was not to be trusted. So what does Loki do? He takes the bird on as his familiar. Seriously. What did you expect to happen?:lol:

Hawkeye 2-- I think that this book is going to be a keeper. What sold me on this book in the first place is that it was described as mentor/student buddy book between dual Hawkeyes Clint Barton and Kate Bishop. Matt Fraction already showed that he can write these two characters with a great (non-romantic) chemistry back in the Young Avengers Presents: Hawkeye one-shot, and he picks that chemestry up without a beat here.

Hawkeye's new "hobby" brings his book to an almost street-level feel. Of course, monumentally pissing off Wilson Fisk in your second issue will do that. A crossover with books like Daredevil or Punisher would feel natural.

Defenders 10-- It would seem that I was wrong in my earlier speculation that this was meant to be a finite series. I read an interview with Matt Fraction* where he stated that he had a much-longer run planned but the sales just weren't there. He also said thathe believed the book was doomed the moment they put the title "Defenders" on the book. Sad, really, as it has been largely been really good with solid story-telling and an interesting direction. Pick it up in trade. You won't be disappointed.

* I just realized that all three of the books I've discussed so far were written by Matt Fraction, who I previously didn't think much of. Clearly, I've been reading the wrong Fraction projects (The World Eaters, Fear Itself).

Avengers Academy 36-- "Final Exam" part three sees our students making good decisions, making painful sacrifices for the greater good and accepting their destinies. In other words, becoming heroes--Avengers. Is it silly to say that I'm proud?

Christos Gage has said that the book's ending had less to do with sales and more to do with him running out of juice creatively with the characters. As sad as I am to see it go, I would rather see AA end at the top of its game with the ending the creator envisioned rather than run itself into the ground.

New Mutants 48-- Here it is-- the birth of Doug Ramsey, Supervillain! I'm really just riding this book out until the issue 50 finale. New Mutants was mostly more of a nostalgia book for me than a must-read.

Just to give you all a notion of how radically my pull-list will be changing come Marvel Now!, of the five books I discussed here, four of them are ending.:eek:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  11. Admiral_Young

Maybe Daisy will become the Avengers liason to Shield like Maria Hill was in Bendis later run? Or perhaps she'll be paired with Coulson or something?

12. Guy Gardener

I just want to see daisy kick her dad in the stones.

If he ever gets back form the future that is.

What's really on my mind is a classic X-men back story, set shortly after Giant Sized X-Men 1, where Angel beats the tar out of Wolverine because Scott and Jean are destined to be together and if he can't haveher then a troll thug like Wolverine certainly can't. He respects Jeans wants, Scott's dibs and as I said "destiny".

After seeing the fate and state of the world how much respect of warren going to have for "destiny"?

Warren is going to move in like a hawk.

Because he does everything like a hawk.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Who is Daisy's father?

14. Admiral_Young

Wow. I just read her wikipedia article...I didn't know Daisy was Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. now. I assume this happened in "Battle Scars"?

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Defenders #11 - was fun even if it seems random for Scott Lang/Ant-Man to show up. This is for sure living up to it's mantra "defending against the impossible"[/paraphrase]. While I've liked the title overall I can't say I'll miss it. Was getting it for Silver Surfer and Red She-Hulk mainly. If you find the TPB's at 1/2 off online, comic show etc I'd say you'll find them a good read. Next issue is the last one I do believe.

Dark Avengers #180 - the portion in the "far future" just keeps riffing on Judge Dredd with the cloned Cage enforcer part of the story. It feels like it could be part of that alternate world the Maestro used to control(I forget the story, it's been awhile). Man-Thing is really coming back into an understanding of his reality, universe hopping abilites via control of the Nexus. Which also means his emphatic understanding is returning. I only hope they don't pull the rug on me and reverse these changes since his "rebirth" a few issues ago.

16. Guy Gardener

Mr Hyde.

I believe they suggested that a rape was involved.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^All it says in her Marvel Comic Database entry is that Hyde is her father, and her mother was a prostitute he had regular "business" with. It doesn't mention rape on there anywhere.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Characters like Daisy make my geek brain hurt. For her to be Mr Hyde's daughter, Zabo would have become Mr Hyde prior to her conception. I assume she's an adult, so than means Marvel's Silver Age characters have been active for nearly 20 years!

19. Guy Gardener

The Civil War had Pete in his early 30s saying that he had been spider-man for half his life since he was 16.

Although the civil war was only probably weeks to a couple months ago Marvel time.

Daisy, maybe Nick Fury talks about her conception in Secret Wars #1, I'm maybe a foot away from it, bugger it, I'm standing up... No, Silver surfer is a foot away, if i want to get at secret wars in the box before that, then I have to move my bed.

I just can't imagine Hyde putting money on the bed side table.

He is the proverbial 10 ton elephant.

Although I could see him taking over a ring.

Mr Hyde as a Pimp?

Which is still not rape after a fashion.

"Sigh"

20. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

And a big "Hooray!" for the thread title change!

Previews for next week...

Eight books for me next week-- Avengers Assemble 7, AvX 11, Captain America 17, Fantastic Four 610, Journey into Mystery 643, New Avengers 30, Uncanny X-Men 18, and Winter Soldier 10