TIL...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Holdfast, Jul 11, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought it was going to be an announcement about how something horrible had happened to ITL.

Today I learned that this is not what the thread is about.

2. RobertVA

RobertVA Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Then again, you don't want a bunch of buttons in the way when you're in the bathroom and in a hurry. Unless you're worried about being caught with someone else's SO, why would you be in such a rush closing that part of your clothing? Getting "bitten" by a zipper strikes me as either carelessness dressing or recklessness about your personal relationships.

3. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I re-discover this every time I have to deal with my doctor's billing office. :scream: I swear, I don't think they've done the insurance and billing correctly even once.

4. The Boy Who Cried Worf

The Boy Who Cried Worf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

5. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

In my experience you just have to open the top button -then you can rip the rest apart -do that to a zip and you're likely to ruin it. And besides; it is easier to replace a button or two than to replace a whole zipper...

6. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Certainly not Occam.

7. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

I learned today not to get capsaicin cream in my eye. :scream:

And also I learned to read thread titles better, as I originally thought this was a thread about Public Image, Ltd. ;)

The two events are not related. :shifty:

8. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Today, I learned that this picture existed.

9. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Ouch! My sympathy to you, ZR.

TIL... that I still remember vividly what it felt like to go through chemical agents (pepper spray, Mace, etc.) training years ago.

10. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I learned today that I am going to be in a commercial in about 3 hours.

Yup, totally normal.

11. thestrangequark

Fun! What for? I think I was in a commercial once. It was one of those segments where they film New Yorkers from all around town singing bits of "New York, New York" and then edit them together. They came into the ice cream shop where I worked during college and filmed the owner and me singing together. I don't know if we got in the final cut..

I was in a documentary, though.

12. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

A commercial for my brewery's new location that we just opened up.

13. Tora Ziyal

^Sounds like fun.

TIL that it's Sir Patrick's birthday. He's 72, ten years older than I. I would normally say that's too old for me, but considering how fit and hot he is... :drool:

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Camera operator: "I tried to maneuver the most attractive people to the front."

I am standing front and center. :D

15. Tora Ziyal

^Aw.....

16. thestrangequark

^Sweet!

Today...well, actually over the course of a few days, I learned that it is actually possible to have a civil, good-natured, and thoughtful debate with someone you don't agree with on this board. It really is rather mind-blowing, but stj, someone I usually don't agree with and can't remember ever having much to do with before, and I have been having a really excellent conversation on the nature of religion and psychology over in the Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes divorce thread. I'd actually been feeling rather downtrodden when it came to discussing opposing views, because so many people can't do it without being offended or becoming offensive. This conversation has actually been really cool, and while it might not interest anyone else, it's made me feel a little better about people online!

17. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Today I learned... researching a story is a time consuming bitch kitty, but well worth the results.

18. thestrangequark

When I was researching my novel I learned that the FBI actually has a unit to whom you can send your manuscript/screenplay/script for them to proof for accuracy. They do it for free. I think that's pretty cool!

19. Tora Ziyal

^That is cool!

Today I learned... that I do not understand FB privacy settings as well as I thought I did. When you post to an "open" group, your posts go out to the news feed. I'd believed, incorrectly, that the only people who would see them would be people who actually went to the group page. Nope, they also show up on your friends' news feeds. I am now so embarrassed...

20. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

TIL that the 'low pressure warning light' on my new car looks like a fat bottom.