Castle: Season 3 (Nathan Fillion, Stana Katic) - Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Aragorn, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Castle: Season 3 (Nathan Fillion, Stana Katic) - Discussion & Spoi

I just haven't gotten around to watching last week's episode yet.

2. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The last two episodes are waiting on my TiVo.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I'm watching the show religiously. I've enjoyed both episodes so far, and looking forward to reading NAKED HEAT.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I didn't like this week's episode. I can't believe that Castle would be so gullible as to fall for all that psychic/medium crap. He's a mystery writer and an experienced amateur detective -- he should have no trouble seeing through the scams and understanding how frauds like this play their tricks. I mean, heck, they use the same observational methods Sherlock Holmes did, they just lie about it.

Also, someone who's as precise about grammar as Castle was shown to be last season wouldn't have made that crack about how hard it would be to "possessive pluralize" the name Cassias. It wouldn't be "The Cassiases's car," because a plural noun is made possessive with a simple apostrophe at the end, not an apostrophe-s: "The Cassiases' car." In fact, one or two characters other than Castle did correctly use that possessive plural later in the episode (although modifying a different noun).

I also didn't like the way Castle only seemed affected by his mother's tragedy in the scenes where he was with her. Beckett was even surprised to see Castle interviewing the reality-show guy when she expected him to be home dealing with the family crisis, and he seemed totally unfazed by it.

So basically, I guess most everything I disliked about this episode came down to its portrayal of Castle.

5. Buck Bokai

Buck Bokai Lieutenant Red Shirt

I agree that there seemed to be something...off about this week's episode, though I couldn't quite pin it down. I did think Castle's belief in all of the medium stuff was a bit overplayed, though it was fun to see the rest of the cops tweak him over it.

Plus Fillion got his double rainbow reference into the show, so that was fun to see.

6. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They only started showing season 2 where I live last week so I'm avoiding the spoilers at least.

7. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I watched it and enjoyed it, though I correctly guessed who the killer likely was as soon as they appeared on screen. Liked all the twists and turns with the suspects, though, and that was a great scene at the end with Castle and his mom.

8. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I'm liking this season so far. I don't see where castle was "miss played" this week.

And is it just me or has Molly Quinn been really made up into full on, old Hollywood actress, style glamor level.

9. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Alexis is being set up to be the ultimate big bad for the final season. She learned under the master, her father. But she's gonna become a serial killer instead. Her first victim was grandmother's boyfriend, to save her the grief of trying to break up with him after being given that ring. :)

10. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

:eek: That would be one hell of a turn.

11. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then someone better give Alexis the season sets of "Dexter," so she can follow the code and keep from getting caught.

12. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Castle is a pretty private man, despite appearances, and he definitely doesn't like looking vulnerable to Beckett. He played things pretty close to the vest when he was hurt by Beckett dating Sam Anders last year (though this is a whole other level of emotional turmoil, obviously). In fact, him jumping right into the interrogation without Beckett (and without meeting her first in the morning) was extremely different from his routine, and was probably one part throwing himself into work to take his mind off things and one part hitting the ground running so Beckett wouldn't have the chance to ask him about what happened.

On a completely different note, I appreciated the tidbit at the end about his name. I'd wondered why he had a different last name than his mom. My first assumption was that his father was Mr. Castle, and he was one of Martha's ex-husbands, but then they said that Castle had never met his father and had no idea who he was, so I was just stymied. I wonder if any of his books were published under Richard Rogers. Of course, given his age and his twenty-plus bestsellers, he would've had to have been publishing practically since he was a teenager, so it's not unlikely.

13. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

So my wife and I are wondering if Stana Katic is pregnant. So far she's been wearing very loose clothing and if memory serves she wore much more fitted shirts in the previous two seasons. They also seem to be camouflaging her midsection. I really noticed it when they came up from the morgue and she was carrying her red coat draped over her arm so that it conveniently covered her belly.

Anyone else notice?

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

That works as an in-story justification, but I was looking at it more from a story-structure perspective. I felt it was a failure of the writing to treat Martha's loss so cavalierly and virtually ignore it elsewhere in the episode.

In collaboration with an author named Oscar Hammerstein? Or Lorenz Hart? ;)

Hey, given that Martha's a Broadway vet, she probably intentionally named her son after Richard Rodgers. I wonder where the "Alexander" came from, though. Rodgers' middle name was Charles.

I seem to recall noticing a moment near the end where we saw her torso from the front and I got the impression of pregnancy.

15. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

This is from this week's Ask Ausiello (no spoilers):

Question: Is Stana Katic pregnant? Don’t get me wrong, she is as stunning as ever; her wardrobe choices on Castle, on the other hand, are suspicious. — Peter
    Ausiello:
    She is not pregnant. In related news, the puffy blouse Katic was wearing in Monday’s episode released the following statement exclusively to Ask Ausiello: “My bad.”

16. Savage Dragon

What exactly is Ask Ausiello?

17. Aragorn

^ He's just some reporter for Entertainment Weekly who does scoops and spoilers for TV shows.

18. Savage Dragon

I see. Well I'm going to wait and see how the season progresses before I take his word for it.

19. Aragorn

Well the show did have a premiere party and she didn't look pregnant. They probably had six or seven shows in the bag by the time of the premiere.

20. Aragorn

[​IMG]

With the latest case of a murdered bail bondsman, Beckett discovers that Castle's wild imagination and theories may be on the mark. Beckett's ex-partner makes a surprise arrival and Castle is forced to watch the two reminisce and engage in a little romance.