References to other Trek MASSIVE SPOILERS!!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by USS KG5, May 10, 2013.

1. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

When Spock pulled off that bit off the flyer and started hitting Khan in the head with it, it reminded me of how Kirk beat Khan in 'Space Seed'

2. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

:rommie:

That's great.

3. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

Makes you wonder: When Spock contacts Prime-Spock on New Vulcan and asks him about Khan, the conversation ends in mid conversation with nu-Spock asking "How did you manage to defeat him?"-or something like that. Did Prime-Spock tell him "You take some piece of equipment and beat him repeatedly with it" after the cut? ;-)

I love the K'normian reference and all those models ships. We'll have fun at Memory Alpha and EAS writing and updating all the articles for those ships! :-)

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Bird of Prey in Generations was a D-12. IIRC, D-4 was going to be used for a retro-style Battlecruiser in Enterprise's "Unexpected" but due to a dispute with the VFX artist, they went with a K'tinga/D-7 instead. So the designation D-4 was unused.... until now.

And I loved the breaking noise! Made me smile.

5. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

There were the great musical cues.
    Captain Sulu has a nice ring to it
    I'm a doctor not a Torpedo Technician.
    Section 31
    Khaaaaaan
    Radiation Death Scene.

Then as already mentioned:
    Nurse Chapel
    Dr. Carol Marcus
    Kethel Province
    Khan

I really did love the references to past series and past movies. Nice the see the skirts are back above the knees.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Chekov's face and the music cue when Kirk tells him to "go put on a red shirt" has to count as a reference.

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I was expecting a quick curse in Russian, oh well :lol:

8. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What? How did Parxis explode already?

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The Federation obviously aren't the only ones stepping up weapons production. Praxis was overmined for something extremely volatile or used for subspace weapon testing in the Prime Universe, they've done the same here, only earlier.

Don't forget, the Klingons held Nero and the Narada for 25 years, they were likely as eager to have new weapons to combat it as Starfleet, and could explain a lot of Marcus' paranoia at the situation.

10. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

When Kirk formed the landing party ("Myself, Mr Spock, Dr Mccoy and Ensign Ricky"), he told the two security guards to take their red shirts off...

They survived :D

11. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Not only has it to count as a reference, it was THE reference! With all the other "in your face" references in the nuTrek movies this was probably the most subtle and the most enjoyable one at the same time!

12. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When Cumberbund reveals his real name there was a very "Khany" Space Seed/TWOK musical cue for a couple of seconds.

This I liked. :techman:

13. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Lieutenant Red Shirt

I liked the D4 types. It appears they were just border patrol vessels (they were quick to respond) rather than full warships. Small Birds of Prey.

They seemed Klingon enough. Forward firing weaponry, moving control surfaces for atmospheric agility, and quick boarding/assault lines for warriors.

14. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

Probably doesn't count as a reference, but Admiral Bastard reminded me a lot of Admiral "Bitch" Nechayev, though to be fair he was much worse.

15. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I also assumed it was Praxis behind Qo'nos, sorry, for the non trek fans who can't pronounce that, phonetically spelled 'Kronos' lmao. *shakes fist*

But I waited until I saw a few other comments. It's too obvious an easter egg to be next to the planet. Must've been over mined earlier in this timeline. Cool.

That had to be the best moment in the film. Period.

Chekov almost breaking the fourth wall with a glance, very slightly, when he's told to "Go put on a red shirt." So funny,yet it's a neat little call back as according to Kirk at his bollocking by Pike, he's never lost an officer. So it's a perfect in joke. Better than Olsen the redshirt in 09 Trek.

Chekovs line is still the best though, "Olsen is gone sir." Gets me everytime, in a good way.

16. Phily B

When Kirk told Chekov to put on the red shirt and his reaction I cracked up.

Also second time I did notice the reference to the "Mudd incident" which was great!

17. Phily B

I really really really loved the ending too, Kirk doing the "Boldly go speech" and the music...

I just hope the Courage/Goldsmith theme is utilised a little more in the next one.

18. Destructor

Destructor Commodore Commodore

I LOL'd. Love it.

Me too! I felt like I was the only person in the theatre who was laughing though. I thought it was Hilars.

Yup, this was my thought exactly- the destruction of Vulcan alone could be used to explain the acceleration of mining on Praxis, let alone having the Nerada in their possession for 25 years! I think that exploded moon was definitely meant to be a reference to Praxis.

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2013
  19. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Things go better with [​IMG].

20. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Random question but does Spock Prime look exactly as in 2009? New costume or one from the first movie?