Full story for Bryan Singer's planned SUPERMAN RETURNS sequel revealed

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Re: Full story for Bryan Singer's planned SUPERMAN RETURNS sequel reve

^Indeed, one only has to consider the amount of changes that were made to Superman Returns itself.

2. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

It's easy, just have a Robot claiming to be Brainiac attack first and then Mon-El helps Supes stop him. Then Mon-El does his thing before it's revealed that HE'S Brainiac and the robot was just a pawn of his.

After all, Henri Ducard WAS a real character from the Batman comics before BB made him into a disguise for Ra's. This movie could do the same by making the pre-existing Mon-El into a disguise for Brainiac.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would just have the Kryptonian character be the Eradicator, created by Brainiac as a ruse to set up for his arrival.

4. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

But who is going to see a movie about two supermen making the world a better place? That might have to be the synopsis of the movie to keep the twist secret. If the audience is introduced to another character as this it is kind of predictable how it might turn out. Another person with Superpowers is just set up for a big battle. Good or bad they'll come to blows.

5. Admiral_Young

The fact is as interesting as this treatment is it still has flaws that have obviously been pointed out already. Debating about those flaws or their intention is a moot point since we're never going to see this movie. JacksonArcher posed the question at the end of his first post if we would rather have seen Singer's sequel or Zack Snyder's "Superman"? I don't really think that was a fair question since we've only now given the full plot from one movie. We still don't know the plot to Snyder's "Superman" only possible snippets. To answer the question though I would say that as much as I would have liked to have seen Singer's sequel I'm looking forward to seeing something new.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Seriously, do you watch movie advertising these days? Who bothers to keep twists secret anymore? What matters is justifying why Superman and the other characters in the story would be convinced at first.

7. Admiral_Young

There are still films that manage to keep the "twists" of their plot secret still. Hell in some cases we still don't know entire film's plots. The new Spider-Man is a good example, so is Zack Snyder's "Superman", we still don't know the plot to "The Dark Knight Rises". It all depends on the filmmaker and the studio is my thought. In the case of these movies I mentioned the studios already know that they have a built in audience amping for them and don't need to build or create discussion. We already do that ourselves speculating on the little tid bits that get "leaked" out or "reported" on by the various internet sites.

8. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Chris Nolan?
    I admit it's blooming hard, but I like it if they can pull it off and I can avoid spoiler bombs.

No argument there. But I still believe that if that's the case then we can just have Brainiac pretending to be a nice guy like the DCU animation (an interpretation of the character I really dig).

9. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I've said it before, I can say it again.

Superman vs. big-ass, Transformers-like robots.

Done and done.

What's the hold-up, already?! :p

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, the most recurrent fan demand seems to be that Superman hit some bad guys like really, really hard. And repeatedly. A great movie, this will make.

It would be more awesome if they'd sell DVDs of about 150 million dollars being set on fire in the Warner Bros parking lot. I might buy one of those.

11. Admiral_Young

Yeah I don't buy the fan thought that Superman is only compelling when he hits something. There has been any number of examples that would argue this point otherwise and I don't see why it should be any different in a movie. "Superman Returns" tried to show a different aspect of Superman...obviously though it was never embraced by the majority of Superman fans. I think that there needs to be some kind of balance between action, emotional context, and character story for before a Superman movie is widely accepted as being "great" by the fan base. Nolan's Batman films would be a good example of this point. I know people will disagree with me and that's fine.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Superman's one of the few big super-hero characters who's capable of doing remarkable and interesting things that don't revolve around hitting people or otherwise fighting. They got that much right in Donner's first film.

13. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of late, I've thought that a Toyman story which used licensed properties would be a rather good idea. Superman vs. Transformers, G.I. Joe, Micronauts, AT-AT imperial walkers, Gundams of all stripes, and beyond. It makes more sense than a Toyman who uses giant Nutcracker Suite dolls. I mean, maybe I'm way off, but toy nerds aren't that into the ballet.

I don't know: has this been done before?

(Well, I am aware of the He-Man crossover.)

Anyway, side-point, Toyman would be a decently effective villain for a film. He's no Brainiac, but then, who is?

14. Christopher

I shudder to think of the licensing issues involved there. In comics, it would very difficult, since those properties are all licensed to different publishers than DC. (Although if Toyman had been a Marvel character back in the '80s, the first four would've been easily doable.) In movies, maybe the Micronauts and Gundam could be licensed, but the screen rights to Transformers and GI Joe lie with Paramount (and Dreamworks in the former case) and Star Wars is Lucasfilm, so they'd be unlikely to show up in a WB-produced Superman film. (On the other hand, The Clone Wars airs on the WB-owned Cartoon Network, so maybe something could be arranged there.)

15. Myasishchev

Yeah. Even though it would essentially be free advertisement, I guess it would conflict heavily with the current license holders.

The idea sounds all the dorkier the more I think about it, however, and I wonder if the satire would get through the fangasm of Superman knocking Optimus Prime's block off.

Which is another problem, since the license owners would quail at the notion of their properties getting the hell beaten out of them by another, potentially rival property.

Expies are, and have always been, a possibility. But the use of non-infringing clones lacks the punch of using the originals in all their glory.

Edit: speaking of, that is one Toyman-sized Constitution.

16. Christopher

You mean in my avatar? That's not just any Constitution-class ship, that's the actual 11-foot Enterprise miniature from TOS, on display in the gift shop at the National Air & Space Museum.

17. Myasishchev

I'd just noticed it. It's pretty cool.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

For a second I thought it was the ST09 Enterprise. ( maybe it was just the lensflare ;) )