Dare I Continue? (please avoid spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by AdmiralScreed, Jul 3, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Dare I Continue?

AdmScreed that's the way I felt when I finally watched ENT under my own steam (had to give up the way it was shown on tv here). NEW TREK!!! It was insanely exciting that NEW TREK even existed. And when you get to the places where you realize you are watching not just new Trek, but extremely good Trek you will be even more thrilled.

2. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Now, Now there is nothing wrong with the last episode of ENT the "Terra Prime", "Demons" story line ends the show on a positive note.

Yes there was another episode which followed but surely that is an episode of TNG, given it's framing.

3. teacake

Surely!

:techman:

4. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know about that. However, the finale is easily disposable.

Let me add my endorsement for season 4. The universe that they explore feels to be the right size. The show isn't struggling to expand upon the themes of the 24th century series AND be a prequel at the same time. And the Federation is finally given a raison d'ĂȘtre.

5. REDrake

REDrake Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, I felt like creators went above their heads to make Season 4 so good knowing the show is about to get cancelled. They tied so many loose ends from previous trek shows...
    And they planted the seeds for the future Earth-Romulan war that everyone knew was coming.
    It is really too bad the show was cancelled. It might have gone for 2 more seasons if there weren't so many TNG-purist naysayers.

6. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

What killed ENT was a rather lucklustre seasons 1-2. Following on from the rather lacklustre VOY (according to a portion of the fanbase).

7. REDrake

So the first 2 season kind of sucked? Though luck, but season 3-4 were good, so that's 2 years where the show did not suck. Except at that time a large portion of the fanbase were advocating the cancellation of Enterprise and focusing on a new Trek show in TNG era. I wonder if we have such fans on this board. They must feel proud of themselves.
    Maybe we'll get a new show in 2025.

8. teacake

It certainly didn't suck, it just was a bit dull. Still some good eps though, and the ship looks great IMO (I love the ship).

9. REDrake

I like it too. But a purist might say it's in fact an upside down Akira.:lol:

10. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

Yeah for some reason all modern Trek (TNG/DS9/VOY/ENT) have a bit of a lackluster Season One. Some argued that it was "finding it's way" but series have been cancelled for less, and most TOS Season One eps don't get as bad a rep!

Season Twos seemed to be a little hit-and miss - yes TNG's Shades of Grey, I see you hiding there behind that "But I was just a bottle show" placard!

But almost universally, they all hit their stride at the Season Three mark, and Enterprise is no exception.

Stick with it, and you'll be rewarded.

11. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

The irony (at least for me) there is, that until that fact was pointed out to me, I didn't even notice the connection. The design of the NX-01 never bothered me all that much. I was hoping to see a Dadelous class ship when the show first started, but, oh well...

12. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I was always very 'meh' towards the design. I did see the upsidedown Akira in there and missed the lack of a secondary hull, but she did have a few nice elements, whilst all the sets inside were good and practical--just what a ship of that era would need.

Though I would have loved for the series to be Daedalus-based, especially seeing the artwork that's out there now of an updated look for the Class. If I were the one making a pre-TOS series, that is the ship I would have based it on.

13. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I probably wasn't clear enough. I meant watch right through - then go and read "The Good That Men Do".

14. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

And of course the Star Trek fanbase is a hard fanbase to please.

15. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Come on guys... did you really want this monstrosity of a ship?

[​IMG]

16. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I think you should stick with it. I'm enjoying it at least.

I'm on Season 2 now.

I hear often that it gets better as it goes on, which appears to be true. So far it's been getting better and better.

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

You know what, what the ship looks like is well down on m list of what I want from a show.

I tend to prefer things like

Interesting stories and good characterisation.

18. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

I am indeed continuing with the show. Thinking back to TNG, the first season of that show was far worse than the first season of ENT has been so far. If that show was able to radically change gears, then ENT is more than capable of doing the same. Whether it actually does.......well, I'll judge that for myself, but based on what you all are saying I trust that it will. Stay tuned for my reviews of future episodes.

Also, read somewhere that showrunners and fans are trying to revive ENT for a fifth season. Think this stands a chance of happening?

19. teacake

I never care about ships, which is why I was surprised to fall for the NX-01. I love the outside but the interior is also a huge plus for watching ENT for me.. I like how it's more submarine like, claustrophobic and stripped back to basics. It gives it a much more frontier space feel and makes them seem more vulnerable (which they are).

20. REDrake

Unlikely. The show was pretty much continued by books. The Good that Men Do and Kobayashi Maru for starters and then the 2 books on Earth-Romulan War.
    Screenwriters had ideas on how to continue the story, but never had the chances to apply them. It was good that at the start of season 4 they actually dropped the whole temporal cold war arc. IMO that was the weakest feature of Ent. That and maybe the lack of character development when it comes to certain characters, like Mayweather, Reed and maybe Hoshi.