the 27 drug and antidote episodes

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Mister Atoz, Jun 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mister Atoz

Mister Atoz Lieutenant Red Shirt

The 27 drug and antidote episodes

Mudd's Women -- Venus Drug
    The Naked Time -- McCoy's unnamed serum counteracts space madness
    Miri -- vaccine for "Onlies" virus
    Space Seed --- Anethesia gas
    The Apple -- Massaform D
    This Side of Paradise -- the Spores
    The City on the Edge of Forever -- cordrazine
    Obsession -- cordrazine
    Amok Time -- McCoy's "neural paralyzer", (triox compound mentioned but not actually used)
    Wolf in the Fold -- McCoy tranquilizes the entire crew with a sedative
    The Deadly Years -- adrenaline antidote
    Journey to Babel -- chemical stimulant to speed up blood reproduction, "slow poison" suicide drug; Benjisidrine (Sarek's heart medication)
    A Private Little War -- Mahko Root
    The Immunity Syndrome -- McCoy administers stimulants to the entire crew on an ongoing basis
    By Any Other Name -- formazine, stokeline
    Return to Tomorrow -- Metabolic reduction injection
    Patterns of Force -- Unnamed drug used to sedate John Gill; McCoy and Kirk awaken John Gill with stimulants
    Spectre of the Gun -- Spock's gas grenade is ineffective
    Elaan of Troyius -- Elasian tears
    The Tholian Web -- Tharagan derivative
    Plato's Stepchildren -- kironide
    Wink of an Eye -- Scalosian water and its antidote
    Whom Gods Destroy -- unnamed mental illness drug
    Mark of Gideon -- antidote to Vegan-choriomeningitis
    Tholian Web -- triox compound
    The Cloudminders -- zienite gas
    Requiem for Methuselah -- ryetalyn

(McCoy's miscellaneous use of hypo for knockout, sedative, anesthetic, or antibiotic not included, except in the case of Amok Time. Sorry, Empath is not included on the list). Diseases belong on another list.

The only drugs mentioned twice throughout the series are cordrazine and triox compound.

McCoy was directly involved in all but 4 of these drug or antidote occurrences. Journey to Babel is the drug and antidote champion with 3 substances mentioned.

~ Mr Atoz

2. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    So what?

3. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, I for one find this a valuable compilation of Star Trek research that I'm too lazy to do myself. :bolian:

4. Gov Kodos

Why spam the board, then? That's what PMs are for.

5. robau

robau Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's useful information.

6. Mister Atoz

Mister Atoz Lieutenant Red Shirt

I like discussion that analyzes the series, that takes a fresh perspective. It's as simple as that.

~ Atoz

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  7. Gov Kodos

You discussed nothing. It's simply a list.

8. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

What the fuck? It's a very interesting list, pointing out the remarkable fact, that roughly 34% of all episodes feature a drug or antidote at the centre of their plot. Sorry, but if as a Trek fan, you don't see the value in this listing, why take the time to post such a snide comment? Boggles the mind ...

9. Gov Kodos

How is it interesting? 34% of the shows mention the use of some chemical, so what? You mention central to the plot, but they are not central to all the plots. RfM the ryetalin is just the plot device to get them to the planet and is otherwise of no point. In several, they are just parts of medical procedures as in Journey to babel, In some they are a device to move the plot as in TCotEoF. With no context, it's a pointless list. Why not list the number of times Kirk scratches his ear, then?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  10. desertstarlover

desertstarlover Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

And so why are you wasting our time here? I don't see that you have added anything constructive.:p

Just because this thread was started with a post in list format does not mean that it is useless. It does not mean that the data it contains is not or won't be used in another discussion, either on or off the Trek BBS.

The list is useful because it contains Star Trek information that is not easily nor quickly found. I can see where each fact could start multiple threads. Would YOU make the effort to compile such a list?

Hmmm...in fact, I think there should be a permanent Forum or Sub-Forum - dedicated to esoteric Trek info. It would be an excellent resources for those of us that want access to info that is not contained in the more conventional Wikis, Memory Alpha or other Trek depositories.

Again :p

11. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

The one thing I was mildly disappointed about here was that this wasn't a list of "drug and antidote" episodes but of drug episodes and antidote episodes... ;)

When does the search of an antidote to a drug play a role in a plot? "City on the Edge" involves trying to give antidote to a drug, but there's no search. In the others, a cure to a disease or a natural poison is sought, not to a drug. Say, "Cloud Minders" and "Wink of an Eye" largely revolve around a classic antidote blackmail and intrigue scheme (c.f. Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom), but the poison there is naturally occurring rather than something the villain would deliberately slip in the hero's drink.

The "artificial poison and antidote" plotline is among the most cliched ones, right alongside the amnesia plot and the evil twin plot. Probably we should be happy TOS never really dabbled in it.

Timo Saloniemi

12. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

Exactly, although the words I would use are 'an interesting compilation'.

13. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Exactly.

Mister Atoz I have asked you, twice, not to just post lists without a discussion topic:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=198649

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=202108

The first one died without any discussion, and I closed the second one.

You could easily present your list, then offer an insight or a theory or a question...

How important is medical intervention in Starfleet?
    Does the emphasis on poisons/drugs reflect what was going on at the time of the writing?
    Is there a practical reason why so many episodes have these themes?

I could come up with a dozen more.

This is a discussion board, and threads should have a clear topic for discussion. The proof is in this thread itself, which has by and large led to a discussion about...well...posting lists (except Timo's post).

Since I've asked you twice before not to do this, I am closing this thread. If you want to try again, with a clear topic for discussion, you are welcome to it.

[​IMG]

"Hailing frequencies closed."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.