The Invisible Wife (or husband)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I am not sure how famous Brian Cox is around the world, for example in the USA, but he certainly has become a celebrity in some places.

His wife, Gia Milinovich, is a talented woman in her own right, but as Brian has become more famous she has notice how people attitude to her have changed which she discusses in this article that she wrote last year.

She says

and

and

So I thought I would ask people here

How do you think you would react of your husband, wife or significant other became famous and you found yourself being pushed into the background, do you think it would be a difficult thing for you to cope with?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  2. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

It must be really difficult, though I guess in the majority of relationships one person will have the better job/the higher salary and I guess in a lot of relationships that dynamic can be very fluid, as here clearly she was in the ascendence when they first met, and it may be that she is again later. Fame is a fickle thing and it may be that Cox's fades again.

I guess with something like this you discover how strong a relationship is. It may be as well that what she's experiencing now might be what Brian experienced when they first got together and she was the 'famous' one.

3. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

just as long as she doesn't release our sex tapes

4. Miss Chicken

I don't think that Cox's fame will fade in the forseeable future. Both David Attenborough and Patrick Moore stated that Cox is the natural successor for BBC's scientific programming and, as far as I can think of, there is noone else as suitable.

David Attenborough had his Life series and it looks like Cox might have an equally successful Wonders series.

That said, I didn't give any thought to how Cox himself might have felt when his wife was on TV and he wasn't.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll be in the background, shopping, kthxbye.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Oh I think that's true about Cox likely being on TV for the forseeable future, but I do think the "swoon" element will fade somewhat, I don't think the paps bother taking pictures of David Attenborough's family for example.

On a side note I do hate that, photos of celebs at events is one thing but just random shots of people going about their daily life is creepy, and frankly no matter how gorgeous/handsome you are, if someone takes 200 photos of you you can guarentee one of them will have you looking like frankingstein's monster :)

7. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

Who is this fellow? He sounds like my sort.

MC if I were in her position I'd be divorcing right about now. Nick cannot abide not being the centre of attention.

8. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Gia who? That article is actually from 2010. She's completely invisible now -- I don't recall ever seeing her appearing in front of the camera.

This public information film might be of help:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjxY9rZwNGU[/yt]

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ah the good old days (ie when Harry Enfield was funny :) )

Of course there are invisible husbands too (Dennis Thatcher)

10. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't react very well. My then-husband and I worked together for a while. We started at the same time. He showed up for a couple hours a week (on top of his FT job) and was very visible. I worked there virtually full time and was equally visible. But in certain people's eyes, I was always primarily his wife. Drove me crazy.

11. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't mind at all. I have absolutely no desire for fame or recognition, and if my (hypothetical) husband desired and achieved these things I would be happy for him, and I would do my best to remain "invisible."

12. Miss Chicken

That was funny.

Oops, it is too, which means she wroye it before Wonders of the Universe even came out. Now it has three Wonder series behind he is much more famous then when she wrote the article.

Dennis was who I was thinking of when I put husband in the title.

I guess Prince Philip could have become invisible but he learnt to open his month and say ridiculously stupid things that kept being reported in the news.

13. Mooch

Mooch Commodore Commodore

I take it this is not about the guy from X-Men 2 and The Bourne Identity.

:vulcan:

14. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I think the key factor was that she had some fame prior and expected that to continue but it was usurped by her husband. For me, having a spouse who became famous is not much different from marrying a famous person. Sure, there are some lifestyle changes if there's a risk of paparazzi, but I wouldn't expect any attention on me because there had never been any attention on me.

With her, it's a bit different because she had a career and that career has to take a bit of a backseat to his career. His fame interferes in it. I don't expect any fame in my own right, so I'm not going to be upset at the lack of attention I'd receive.

15. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

She sounds like the classic woman who discovers that being the sex that produces the babies makes them less appealing to whatever high-powered business they were in before. If her husband's star is in the ascendant (didja see what I did there?) then he could use his influence to help her. In fact it's definitely in his marital interests to so do.