No News, No Nothing!!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Transwarp Drive, Aug 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Transwarp Drive

Transwarp Drive Lieutenant

I think we're customers; we want the product, we want quality, we want the narrative running through the exercise. I want smoke blown up my ass, I want to be teased and toyed with as a valued customer should be, I want to be bullshitted and stroked.

I want a trailer.

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have this (excellent) fake from a few months ago to tide you over:
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-13Ic19WUs[/YT]

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

No other "Star Trek" movie was simply called "Star Trek".

Some countries promoted it as "Star Trek: The Future Begins", taking the slogan from the posters. Won't that do?

What's wrong with "Star Trek (2009)"?

We've had a "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan", so "Star Trek 2" is fine.

I recall a joke from the creators of "Jaws 2", who said they avoided the traditional Roman numerals for the first sequel because they were hoping to reduce confusion when they reached "Jaws 11".

4. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Paramount marketing will release a teaser or trailer when they think its best, they wont want to release anything so soon that move goers forget about it. There arent many movies where they release trailers 9 months before the film is due for release.

5. controlfreak

controlfreak Commander Red Shirt

They owe us nothing.

6. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

The news I care about is that the BO is an even bigger monster hit than the last one.

I'd be very surprised if the quality of the movie is the problem, but to really solidify that Trek Is Back, we need two top ten movies in a row. Then Les Moonves will start listening to TV pitches, so we can have a TV show ready to go, launching in the fall, few months after the third movie's summer debut to ride the PR wave.

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

word

... is given, Mister Scott, the.

8. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I like how they used footage from Alien Resurrection but tried to hide the fact that it was Brad Dourif...:rommie:

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could probably tolerate not having any news. What gets me is that every few weeks or so we have Abrams and his cohorts saying things like "the movie is awesome, but we can't tell you anything" and variations thereof. It gets tiresome after awhile.

10. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It is very frustrating, yes. Marvel started promoting the Avengers nearly 2 years before the movie came out and it helped wonders for them. Its about 9 months away and the forced secrecy is kind of dampening the thrust for Star Trek it seems to me. Of course not to me or other Star Trek fans, but the general movie going audience.

11. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

(shrugs) As I'm going to see it regardless, I see no benefit to receiving information that might bias me one way or another beforehand.

I would be particularly happy if I didn't have to deal with seeing any footage of it out of context. I was a bit miffed when a trailer for The Hobbit preceded A Game of Shadows.

12. Therin of Andor

Every Marvel movie after-credits coda has been a teaser for "The Avengers". How do we know an advance theatrical trailer "helped wonders"?

13. Transwarp Drive

Transwarp Drive Lieutenant

Oh come off it, the fanbase was positively frothing at the mouth when it saw any sort of advance promotion. Trek fans would be no different.

14. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I always avoid teasers and trailers unless I'm definitely not interested in the film. Lots of fans are like that. For every person complaining that there is no advance notice there is another one who is content to wait.

15. Therin of Andor

Seems to me the ST fanbase is frothing at the mouth, too - and JJ hasn't had to give them anything yet. Advance trailer or no advance trailer, teasing about potential villains, or not. Trek fans are doing their own advance promotion right now, right here. :rommie:

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

That's the thing though, it's way too early for the general movie going audience, get them hyped up now, and there will be nothing left of that hype by the movie comes out. Start all the hype for them now, and by May, they'll be like "Wait, didn't this already come out last year?"

17. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I love that there's no news. I'm tired of my entertainment constantly being spoiled on the internet. I don't want to learn anything until a trailer comes out.

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It's August. It's back-to-school and election season. Nobody except hardcore fans is thinking about next year's summer movies yet. Hell, most people probably haven't even started their Christmas shopping yet.

May isn't even on most people's radar right now.

19. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There have been a ton of movies that saturated the market with trailers (at least in theaters) many months, even a year, in advance. When the movie was actually released I had the exact same reaction you described.

Then when the dvd is released, I'm like "didn't that movie just come out?" :lol:

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Exactly. I hear that all the time from friends and relatives.

You don't want the movie to be old news by the time it finally opens!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.