Lana Lang & SMALLVILLE...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, May 2, 2010.

1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    Sarah Carter is great...I liked Alicia alot.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sarah Carter is yummy...she's exactly what Lana should have been. Changed by her exposure to Clark's goodness (although she still had her bad girl streak in her) and inspired to do good with her powers because of him too. Lana was too much of a hindrance and she I think acknowledged this herself in an episode or two. It's too bad how she was handled by the writers over the course of her time on the series.

3. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    That is how it should have been. I like the Lana from season 1 by season 2 they turned her into a non-redeemable character. She was still the sweet girl next door type. In season 2 and continuing on the character just got more stupid...making horrible choices. The writers had pretty much killed anything good about Lana by the ladder part of season 5.

4. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

So let me get this straight: this show (which I've never seen and have no desire to see) has Clark Kent consistently in a blue t-shirt and red jacket (at least Gilligan had an excuse for not changing his wardrobe), has featured various people from the Justice League of America, including Green Arrow, has featured the Legion of Superheroes, has Lana Lang in it...
    and no appearance of Superboy/Man.
    Asinine.
    I like a little Superman in my Superman. Hell, I didn't even watch Lois & Clark because they were more focused on Clark than Superman (and because Superman shouldn't look like a Eurasian college jock).
    A Superman series without Superman. The mind reels.

5. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I honestly didn't know that Dean Caine was Amerasian until I found out about it in an interview. :lol: Silly reason not to like him though considering Superman is a Kryptonian and not a WASP. :lol:

6. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

Other than the Luthors Lana Lang was the best character on Smallville. And I LOVED her turn with Lex. I wanted it to last much lonmger than it did as there was a lot they could have done there.

7. Admiral_Young

I actually thought her relationship with Lex was much more rounded out and interesting than her relationship with Clark. She learned a lot as a result from it. There were trust issues with both relationships that ultimately resulted in those relationships ending. Lana couldn't trust either men. Clark and Lana should have worked but for some reason the writers were so hung up on Clark concealing his secret from her. I know he was trying to protect her if he really loved her then he should have allowed Lana to trust him...much like the comics. I'm curious if the writers based Smallville Lana on the adult Lana Lang from the comics? She had tendencies similar to the Smallville character when it came to her relationship with Clark.

8. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

Yes, it did make sense. She's the ultimate "girl next door" type. She can be pretty, sexy and cute. Not many women can pull that off. That's a killer combo.

I like the Chloe character but she us WAYYYYY overrated in my book. In a big way. She's a great friend no doubt and Clark is often a douchebag to her but, while i can see the appeal in general, it's wayy out of proportion to what is deserved IMHO.

I've never liked the Lois Lane character at all. This is a decent version of her but I've never liked her that much. Also, Durance, while no doubt pretty, isn't a stunner by any means.

I disagree but that's me. I know I'm in the minority on this one but I'm used to this board not having much sense/tatse in lots of stuff. ;)

I disagree. They went together well. They got a big bum rap on this from fans. They had a bunch of great scenes together.

First loves are often BY FAR the most powerful love you ever have in your life. There's often nothing like the passion and emotion behind that first love. First loves are often epic and what are future people get compared to.

Nothing wrong with that. People often hang on to loves many times over until they finally go their own seperate ways.

There was ZERO reason to recast her. Zero. Zip. Nada. None. And I'd love nothing more than to see her again on the show.

9. Admiral James Kirk

I'd love it if they would bring Lana back so:

A. Clark could choose Lois over her and

B. So she can get killed off.

Nothing would make me happier. :)

10. Admiral_Young

Lana was my second alternative to be the Red Queen. In order to kill Lana off they'd have to figure out how to strip her of her powers first and that would be pretty convoluted and complicated IMO. A problem of giving her that power suit in the first place.

11. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    Can't something in the Fortress neutralize kryptonite or something???

12. Admiral James Kirk

Kryptonite is toxic to humans. In the comics Lex wore that Kryptonite ring to taunt Superman with and slowly contracted terminal cancer. I figure after a year or two of wearing that Kryptonite suit Lana's going to be nothing but a walking tumor and that's fine with me. :D

13. Admiral_Young

^ This is true and a possibility...prolonged exposure to Kryptonite gave Lex Luthor terminal cancer...but I thought that has been retconned and thus never happened to the current version of him?

14. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

No I think he just switched to a clone body or something.

15. Admiral_Young

^ This is what I mean that did happen...in the Bryne run...but I thought this has since been retconned thanks to Birthright and Superman Secret Origins. Luthor is just the same man and not a clone of the original.

16. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think they directly retconned it, but in the comics, Lex "died" and was put into a young clone body and passed himself off as his son. When that ruse was finally revealed, the clone shut down and Lex was basically trapped in his clone body, being fully aware of what was going on, but unable to move or do anything. A year after that, Lex comes back as he made a deal with the devil to come back in a fitter version of his original body. I don't think the clone thing had been directly mentioned since (other than with references with Superboy).

17. Admiral_Young

18. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

I wonder how many clones of Lana Lex had? I know he would have done more than just the one she blew up.

19. Admiral James Kirk

Lana clones. EWWWW. Perhaps he wanted to use the sound of her persistent nagging to get all but the deaf to commit suicide so he could take over the world.

20. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

My brother!!