Is Fringe any good?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Endymion, Nov 27, 2009.

1. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, Olivia, Peter and Walter are the leads. But Olivia is developing superpowers, which makes her nothing like Mulder or Scully, although it does make her a boring comic book heroine. Peter's obtuse disinterest in science, or the Pattern, or a relationship with his father (whom he calls Walter as a signal to the audience) parallels Scully's invincible skepticism in the face of repeated personal experience.

Astrid does not suffer from the adolescent interests of the producers. For that reason she has an engaging, sexy persona that is vastly more interesting than the long suffering, multiply endangered, dream figure of Dunham. Her, you want to see more of. Olivia, you only want to see less clothing of. Despite this, she is a minor character. They ostentatiously introduced a religious FBI girl but she got unceremoniously dumped, unless the followup is ludicrously delayed.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's been on the various L&O shows a lot. Was pretty good in all of them.

3. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

Huh? They're nothing like Mulder and Scully. I'm a massive X-Files fan (in real life I'm pretty much Fox Mulder) so I'd be furious if a show just copied them (like Bones did). They're their own characters.

4. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No, IMO the show is too long. TOS Trek works because it was canceled in its Prime. I don't think JJ's style suits tv, he's more suited to movies not tv. I got through a season of a half of Lost and then cursed the show, his Alias was even worse. If Fringe interests you download a few of its best eps, the Arrival, Human Action, Fraction, the season pilot, the S1 finale...what ever gets 5 stars reviews or whatever ep is the top rated on the net. If it does not keep your attention then ditch it quick, life is too short to waste on bad tv. Personally I hate shows that drag on, most of them bored me to death and you can see how the writers trash shows, stretching them out trying to fit into that exclusive syndication club. The only long show I would recommend is Babylon 5 and that works because it has a really long complex series of story arcs and one of the best writers in the industry, DS9 works, its got the better actors, better fx but I think B5 was the shorter and sweeter package.

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Like I said up the thread, I haven't seen the show besides a few youtube clips (and some advertising on FOX). So my word isn't meant to be gospel, merely the impression I have based on that.

6. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It has been on the air less than two seasons. How is that too long? We aren't talking a show that has run itself into the ground and has tapped into all it potential and is just grasping like TXF. Quite the opposite--I'd argue that its greatest failing is the fact that it hasn't tapped into its full potential yet choosing instead to rely on well worn formulaic drivel.
    LOST does take some adjusting to. You really have to be dedicated and patient. So for the most part I don't mind having to wait years for a storyline to be resolved--it allows for much more depth, some interesting twists and turns and the exhilaration when the payoff finally occurs. As a big LOST fan I'll freely admit it there were periods that just dragged on with no answers, however, sticking with the show and enduring the prolonged wait for the payoffs so far has been well worth it. And in hindsight you can understand now why certain threads required to be pushed to the side and seemingly forgotten so the writers could introduce other threads that beautifully dovetail into one another and make so much sense in retrospect with everything else. Had they given us the answers too soon it would have spoiled the payoffs and answers that were to come.

Unlike TXF and other shows like The Dead Zone that really have no idea of where everything is ultimately going so they continuously add new freshly conceived elements leading to a messy drawn out unsatisfying arc LOST actually appears to have a vision guiding it.

7. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

I don't see that this show has all that much in common with The X-Files. Yes, it deals with the supernatural and the bizarre...but it never even occurred to me that any characters in Fringe were modeled after Mulder and Scully.

Mulder and Scully were vastly more interesting than Olivia and Peter. Walter is an awesome character, and IMO quite an original one....but yeah...I agree that he's not enough to hang an entire show on, unfortunately.

8. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

You realize you're trying to talk reason with someone who deliberately spoiled nuBSG to a poster here who hadn't seen it yet and was simply inquiring about it. That should tell you all you need to know.

9. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow you Battlestar fanatics really do hold a long grudge. :wtf: I spoiled in total - one Battlestar thread,
    one thread way back in the first week of May 2009 :censored: ...this was long after the show aired and long after dozens of spoilers were posted on the threads and across the whole net
    Even though I only spoiled one thread I was immediately hounded and harassed by you insane Battlestar fans. Less than 48 hrs later I logon to see a bunch of battlestar fans throwing hissy fits, well I don't see them all because a lot of them were on my block list because of their trolling and fanboyism. I have no plan to be at constant war with these battlestar fans so in hindsight I thought spoiler tags would have been a good idea, so I PM'ed a Mod.
    I think it might have been Neroon and asked the Moderator to delete my post.
    Case closed, done, finito
    No, another battlestar fan called Aragorn has to go and dig up some trivial crap that happened 7 months ago.
    Welcome to my ignore list Aragorn, please don't bother responding to this message as I'm done with you.

Fringe just leaves me unimpressed, I love the first season of Wire and I see why people watch that show. It has a tight written story arc, it develops well, the character development is well paced and the story moves brilliantly...maybe it also drags but so far I have loved The Wire. Can Fringe ever be as good as the first season of Wire?
    hell no, but Fringe can be much better, tighter and better paced.
    Dexter IMO is over rated, not half as dark, scary or funny as people hyped it to be.
    Switched off

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  10. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

So a troll puts me on his ignore list because he completely flips out (which is quite an accomplishment considering the levels of flipping out on this board that he's already attained) after I mention one of his MANY jackass posts. What's the downside here?

11. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Scary?

Who hyped it as scary, pray tell?

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, the main character does tend to, you know, kill people and stuff. ;)

13. Greylock Crescent

Greylock Crescent Adventurer Admiral

Well, I don't think there are many people who would argue that Fringe couldn't use a bit of improvement. I find it entertaining and enjoyable to watch (and hope it remains on the air for a while longer), but for it to reach the level of craft of The Wire? Not likely. Even at its worst moments, The Wire had a much more advanced story to tell.

Still, there aren't going to be many shows that even approach The Wire so even if Fringe never quite reaches that level of storytelling, it can still be a worthwhile series to watch -- provided it does a better job of developing its mythology and its characters.

14. stonester1

stonester1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course, most skeptics I've run into say that "personal experience", unless it can be repeated under controlled conditions, isn't worth a damn. So Scully even stuck to that until her skepticism finally started cracking. She figured out the difference between being a skeptic and just being stubborn/dogmatic.

15. DontFeedPhil

DontFeedPhil Fleet Captain

I love it when Olivia calls Walter, Wool-ter. Anyone else notice that?