So are we finally seeing the waning days of Facebook?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by SeerSGB, May 23, 2013.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

And spark discussions about that at the kitchen table. Good idea.

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, at least people at the dinner table will talk the old fashioned way instead of the way people "talk" now.

3. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

The drama wouldn't be worth it. "What are you hiding?" "Is there something I should know?" Enraged reaction. Argument starts. Argument ends with, "As long as you live in my house..." which then sparks off a whole other thing.

4. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Could not agree any further.

5. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

A agree with RoJoHen... Facebook allows businesses to connect with consumers in ways never before conveniently possible. THAT won't go away anytime soon, unless something else replaces it.

Twitter and Instagram are all highly geared for fleeting communication. It's great for quick updates, but not for building up a cache of information. It's no wonder teens are finding it more appealing, as they seem to cater to things that move fast and don't linger. ;-)

I'm also of the opinion that Facebook has made too great an investment to fizzle out. Some people have overdosed on it and... well, they eventually had to pull back. If you and a bunch of people who know had to do this, then it's easy for you to conclude FB is on the down turn. But it's all about perspective. I think a majority of people have throttled their usage of FB to where it's manageable.

But... what Facebook is all about is making money. They really haven't cached in on their grand plans yet. The trick of it is more ways to make money from advertising. And at some point again they'll be tripping over themselves as they try to put those plans in action because ultimately people don't want unsolicited advertising.

6. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Just in my personal life tonight:

A friend contacted me via Facebook to see what I was doing.

We met up at a bar, and we then used Facebook on our phones to get in touch with several other of our friends, who then met us at the same bar.

We then posted a couple pictures on Instrgram and shared them on Facebook because it was another friend's birthday. I ended up having a lot of fun.

Without Facebook, I would have stayed home tonight. Maybe done some laundry.

7. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Facebook jumped the proverbial shark once it was commandeered by businesses using it as a promotional tool. And I'm inluding pretty much everything here, from bands and movies, celebrities, restaurants etc

It took what was once a cool, hip little site and transformed it into a giant corporate weapon of THE MAN desperate for as many 'Likes' as they can get their grubby little hands on.

You're right in that you can avoid the majority of that by using it sensibly but I don't blame kids for thinking that what was once 'theirs' has been taken away from them by joyless suited douchebags.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Without Facebook who knows maybe your friend would have texted you on your phone to see what you are doing, or perhaps even called you on your phone to see what you are doing.

9. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Or maybe they could have arranged the whole thing through carrier pigeons, but it's not really the same thing, is it? People who don't like Facebook seem to purposefully ignore that every method of communication works differently, and is ideally suited to different purposes.

10. tomalak301

This is my biggest gripe with facebook. I should have known it was inevitable in retrospect, but the facebook I joined is significantly different from the Facebook as it is now.

11. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Still.. what he described we did regularly back in pre-social media times via text and simple phone calls but let's not overhype Facebook.. people are not more social nowadays because of Facebook, it's just more crap posted and much of it is meaningless crap anyway.

12. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Social networking - outside of posting on here because I'm a sci-fi fan - generally isn't interesting me because the only purpose for me to use it is to make money. And facebook IMO isn't a way to network with people and expand your contact base with business professionals.

Linkedin however I find useful in terms of networking with other business professionals and enbables me to make more money and be more effective at my job.

13. Jadin

Jadin Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Second!

14. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've never needed either.

I had both Facebook and LinkedIn. Facebook seemed to be a complete waste of time. The people I would chat with I had on my Live Messenger, or SMS. And 90% of my "friends" were old coworkers or people from College that never talked to me at all (so why add me as a "friend" then?)

It seems to be a huge popularity contest that I could fucking care less about.

As for LinkedIn, I tried it and it seemed to be a waste of time for me as well. I've never needed to network to find work. Unfortunately very few people I know were in positions to help me further my career. Those who could help out usually weren't people I was close to in anyway.

In the end, I found LinkedIn was simply a security risk where tons of my private work history was up for grabs by anyone. So I ended up deleting both accounts permanently and never looked back.

I laugh at all the people facebooking on the bus on their iPhones and Blackberries. I either read ebooks or play games on my iPad, and find that far more entertaining.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I don't even have most of my friends' phone numbers. Facebook is the primary form of communication with certain people.

16. Lt. Uhura-Brown

Lt. Uhura-Brown Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Does anyone remember Myspace?

It used to be THE social media website that anyone who was anyone had a Myspace.

Anyone...?

17. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Everyone remembers MySpace, of course.

What you have to understand is that when MySpace was THE social media website, MySpace had 115 times less users than Facebook has now. Also: your phone didn't have a "MySpace" button. So we're not really talking about the same kind of phenomenon.

18. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

And there used to be dozens of very popular search engines. Now we have Google. Eventually somebody wins.

19. tomalak301

Didn't the Music Industry get involved with Myspace the same way various corporations got involved with Facebook. While I didn't have a facebook account, if I wanted to listen to new music from an artist I really liked, I would go to their myspace page. Now we have Youtube, which I think killed Myspace for good.

20. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Who cares? No I don't use Facebook. I never really cared to. From observing everyone around me who uses it, it's just a new medium to start fights with. If people want to use it, fine.. go ahead. If it's on the decline, oh well.

If you don't like Facebook, that's your right... but why exactly do people seem to be so invested in seeing it fail?