Summer Anime 2009

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by firehawk12, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

They have a new exec who seems to want to compete with Disney and Nickelodeon. CN has forgotten who it is. It is not Disney and it is not Nickelodeon... And copying Spongebob and other things on those channels will drive away their base. As for Adult Swim, if they want to diss viewers like pathetic high school cliques, they will find themselves continuing to get lambasted in the ratings. Be who you really should be, Cartoon Network, not a dumping ground for Slamball...

2. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

A fun fact about Elfen Lied is that one of the heads over at Adult Swim actually wanted to air it and went as far as seeing about the possibilities of airing it on the channel. But alas, the censors had no balls and nothing came of it :(

Oh wells. For a serious suggestion though, I would think Full Metal Panic would be a decent show to put on. A good story with lots of action, like able characters, and an outstanding English dub. It'll never happen though

And this just in, a Twilight manhwa is in the works

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-07-15/twilight-manhwa-by-young-kim-published-by-yen-press

Who knows, maybe it'll be made into an anime. I'll bet that will be a sure fire hit on adult swim :lol:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  3. zakkrusz

zakkrusz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

FMP would have been great.

I would have thought shows like Claymore, Kaze no Stigma, and Kurokami would probabally do well on AS if they chose to pick them up.

I'd mention they get something a little more substantial like Monster or Haibane Renmei which wasn't a shounen series but fat chance of those getting AS ratings judging by how poorly similar shows have done.

Black Lagoon would have made an awesome AS acquisition, sadly that went to some Starz movie channel I don't even get. It also has a great dub in my opinion, and tons of action. Just have to make due with my DVDs I guess.

4. Meredith

Meredith Vice Admiral Admiral

Claymore would be Drool-a-lific I have seen it subbed and was impressed and the manga is ongoing so they may do another season later on.

I am just glad they are doing TWO episodes of Bleach on Saturdays.

5. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I really can't blame 'em in a way. Adult Swim is still at best a PG-13/TV-14 set up, and although they've pushed the boundaries here and there, it still more often than not conforms to Standards and Practices. So much would have to have been cut out or pixelated from Elfin Lied that it just simply wouldn't have been watchable in the end, IMO.
    I agree, Full Metal Panic would have been an excellent fit for Adult Swim--hell, it would have been an excellent fit for Toonami--but that ship has sailed...

The ratings for CN's new reality shows (or "CN Real" as they call it) have been reportedly abysmal. Seems like a lot of kids turn the channel when they come on--and watch Disney and Nickleodeon instead...

6. Peach Wookiee

And yet the execs are still promoting CN Real with that "It's gonna SHRED!!!" campaign... I'm sorry, but a rocker screaming isn't going to improve CN Real's ratings... or CN's ratings in general. They need to go back to what made them great... 24/7 good toons!

7. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

CN invested a lot of money into CN Real in the hopes of it being just the start of the network's "evolution" into something more than just cartoons. So there were several promo campaigns already in the works before CN Real debuted. CN really was expecting CN Real to take off, but so far it seems to be crashing.
    Unfortunately, CN still plans to throw good money after bad because they've got at least a dozen other reality or live-action projects in the works. CN may still pursue these projects anyway.

Incidentally, a look at next week's CN schedule (July 20-26) has noticeably fewer CN Real showings on than in the weeks before and they seem to be consolidating new episodes of the CN Real shows on Wednesday night. One show in particular--Survive This--will only be shown once this week (no repeat airings--gasp!), possibly due to it being the lowest-rated CN Real show, but don't quote me on that...

8. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Theyre idiots. If kids wanna watch reality tv, theyre not gonna want to watch watered down kiddy versions. Theyll tune into Mtv or Fox or the other channels showing adult aimed reality shows.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  9. Peach Wookiee

Exactly. My cousins watched Fear Factor when they were the age Cartoon Network is courting. They watch American Idol... Why would they want to watch something that's pretty much on Discovery Kids? And as for SlamBall... It might be good exercise, but it doesn't look that interesting...

10. zakkrusz

Why watch reality TV at all? If I want reality I'll just go to work, and why the heck would I want to do that durring my free time. I'd rather have some type of escapism or at least something scientific and educational that I'm interested in for my entertainment. :shifty:

11. Peach Wookiee

That sort of reality doesn't make for good ratings. Too bad, otherwise we could all be stars.

12. zakkrusz

Well, there's two anime this season that are nothing but talking but they're the most interesting ones because of it. (Spice and Wolf II and Bakemonogatari) I think I'd rather watch these characters converse than any action series out now. :lol:

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  13. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

This is true. All I want this season is Horo and Lawrence sitting in a room talking. That's all I need to fill my anime hunger

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've never seen Spice and Wolf.

I picked it up the other day out of curiosity. Watched the first episode and then got about ten minutes in the second before I fell asleep.

15. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Its cause you haven't gotten to the banter yet :p

Have faith, give it two or 3 episodes and if you aren't hooked then...well...I'll say Im really really sorry :p

16. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, to be honest, it was late at night and it had been a really long day, so I didn't exactly give it a fair shot.

17. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

It was also a rather dull episode, so it's to be expected :p The subject matter is dry, but what really makes the show so awesome and popular are the characters. Once you get to know them, the show pays off in spades.

18. zakkrusz

Quite true, one's enjoyment of the Spice and Wolf series depends on your interest in the characters since it's a highly character driven series. These types of series are offen hit or miss.

I'm so glad Funimation decided to partner with Kadokawa and put the series out here.

19. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Random question - anyone watch the Eureka 7 movie? I just finished the series, so I'm wondering if I should check it out.

20. zakkrusz

Yeah, I've seen it. It was definitely good, although I don't really know what to make of it. It's like some screwed combination of a sequel and an alternate universe. Bandai has it now, and will be putting it in theaters here in the US through Fathom Events. Otherwise it's the eventual DVD release or fansubs, if you can find one.