Should Jadzia have died in Change Of Heart?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by JirinPanthosa, Feb 23, 2013.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Would it have been better to have that later in the season and have her die because Worf decided to get the Cardassian operative?

That would have been a less random throwaway way for her to die, more dramatically interesting, and more in character for Worf.

2. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would've liked it if Worf loses them both because of his indecisiveness. That's the dark Trek showing that Worf walks a tightrope and sometimes it doesn't work out for him.

3. EnterpriseClass

EnterpriseClass Ensign Red Shirt

Yes that would have been so much better than the "Tasha Yar death part 2" that poor Jadzia got.

4. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If we're playing this from the standpoint of knowing she had to leave the show and killing her off is the only option, then I think it would have been beautiful for her to die in "Change of Heart." I loved the scenes with her and Worf. I know that's too early and it's not really part of the story that unfolds toward the end of the season, but I was even thinking as I watched it...if she dies, this is going to be heart-wrenching.

5. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

That's one episode I haven't re-watched in years (will remedy that this afternoon). But from what I remember, yes. Her death in the finale was a contrived and crappy way for the character to go out.

6. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

7. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

Hell yes.

I found it weird where she had two near-death experiences that season (the one in Rocks and Shoals maybe not being as bad as the one in Change of Heart), but then the writers decide that they are actually going to kill her off.

So, the idea is repetitive by the time it happens in Tears of the Prophets, and of course it's a total botch. The should have either just reassigned her, or if death was the only option, then they could have killed her in a Dominion attack.

8. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wish she had died in battle. So it's brought home that these aren't little ships in space. Each one we could do a series around, the bonds of the senior officers, etc. Bring the war home and kill her in battle, not by the hands of the Pah'Wraiths. Preferably in hand-to-hand combat, someone snaps her neck or slits her throat. Something horrific. And they spent the entire 6th season making her a big part of the action in order for us to feel losing her.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  9. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Absolutely, and would have been a much better exit for the character.

10. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Jadzia's death in that episode was but a bruise compared to how much it murdered Dukat's character arc.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Dukat should have died in Waltz and Jadzia should have died in Change of Heart.

11. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hell yes.

12. Takeru

Takeru Space Police Commodore

No, I like that Worf said screw it, ignored the mission and saved his wife, it was selfish and not something I expected to happen. She should have had a better death though, I hated how they offed her in the finale, it was so random, she walks into the temple where Dukat just happens to unleash his Pah Wraith superpowers.

13. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

And as he finally got back to her the beating heart sound would have stopped..

14. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

I think it would have been better if Jadzia had died in Change of Heart too. I think I remember Ron D. Moore saying that when the wrote the show they were still in contract negotiations with Terry Farrell and they weren't sure if she wasn't coming back or not.

15. SwimmingGnu

SwimmingGnu Lieutenant Red Shirt

Agreed, she deserved a more honorable death.

16. Merlanthe

Merlanthe Commander Red Shirt

I always thought it would have been great if Seige of AR551 had been the finale or second to last episode of that season and Jadzia had died there, maybe getting shot in the back whilst trying to help a fallen comrade so then Worf could have still had his 'Jadzia didnt die in battle we must perform some suicidal mission to earn her a place in Sto Vo Kor' angsty subplot. Sisko, after the loss of his old friend and beign witness to the suffering and hopelessness of AR551 has a crisis of faith and retreats to his fathers resturaunt.

Im glad she didnt die in Change of Heart because imho the conversation at the end between Sisko and Worf about choosing between perosnal and duty would not have had as much meaning. Jadzia could have died but didnt. Worf could have completed the mission but didnt. Instead the person they were supposed to retrieve died and with him information that would have saved lives and helped the war effort. Did he make the right choice? Thats a question left to the viewers to determine.

If Jadzia had died then we would have been more focused on poor Worf nothing goes right for him rather than trying to figure out whether he made the right decision or not.

17. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

They should have promote her to captain at the start of season 6, when she captained the Defiant.
    An give her her own ship after they got DS9 back.
    And give her a great dead scene where she rammed a big Jem Hadar ship or something like that in a big battle

18. _C_

_C_ Commander Red Shirt

Yeah. I feel like her death was just kind of stuck in there in Tears of the Prophets because the actor was leaving and not because it had anything to do with the plot of the series as a whole.

19. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    This. This forever.

I was unhappy with Jadzia's exit, as I was unhappy with Worf's soppy decision to save her and sacrfice the Cardassian informant, but the way they fucked over Dukat? Major turn-off. The only thing that made up for that fuckarow was how they promoted Damar from simple mook to national hero.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Jadzia's death really reminded me of the death of Tasha Yar. Both women had abrupt pointless deaths caused by powerful alien beings. They were even both caused because of behind the scenes reasons, the actresses were leaving!

I'm surprised they didn't take that route when giving Kes her exit. I suppose "Fury" was an even worst fate for a departing character.:ack: