Evolution of the Gorn

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Dingo, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Dingo

Dingo Captain Captain

I've been reading both the Typhon Pact and Cold Equations series of late and I've become interested in the Gorn as a species. Specifically their evolutionary ancestors.

Judging by the descriptions throughout the Trek-verse I'm certain they evolved from something akin to the Monitor Lizards of Earth. Of the extant lizards here on Earth monitors are intelligent carnivores that are quite versatile when it comes to survival. Given the Gorn Archosaurs are carnivorous, fairly intelligent, and possess sharp senses I'm certain an alien version of the varanid (scientific name of the family that includes monitor lizards) were the earliest ancestors of the Gorn.

2. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's a common misperception that dinosaurs were lizards. But lizards -- so far -- have never exhibited upright posture (some dinosaurs did). There are many other members of the reptile class to chose from, and of course that's just on Earth.

3. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

If you like the Gorn, you should check out the old graphic novel The Gorn Crisis. It really tried to delve into Gorn culture in a way that I thought was quite well done.

4. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

5. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I may be wrong, and please, if someone knows more, please correct me. But, T'Girl, it is my understanding that no lizard is structured to remain in an upright position, the way some dinosaurs did. The picture you showed of this lizard upright would be akin to a dog standing on his hind legs. Sure, he can do it, but it's not what he was designed for.
    Again, if I'm wrong, please let me know.

6. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

You mean they weren't just overgrown iguanas?

[​IMG]

I think T'Girl was pulling your leg. :p

7. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uh, Yeah. I knew that! I was just going along with her. Yeah, really. I mean it. I was, actually. really.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

From all the talk of "the great egg bringer" or whatever it was in the novels, I imagine the Gorn fall into the "engineered by an ancient super race" category

9. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. And the way they seem to be broken up into 37 flavors (in other words, they have variations that almost make them seem like a multi-species "race") it makes me think that it might be the same ancient super race responsible for the Xindi. (That super race being Star Trek writers, of course. ;))