WIP - USS Sovereign (Probert/Richter-styled Ambassador Class)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Today, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Today

Today Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Work In Progress - All modeling in LightWave3d:techman:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Inspiration is drawn from Andy Probert's original sketch of the Ambassador Class which you are all no doubt familiar with, and influenced heavily by Tobias Richter's equally well known 3d interpretation of said sketch, with additional inspiration from WileyCoyote (aka trekmodeler). Think I have all my bases covered there, inspiration-wise.:cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I should add that I'm not aiming to exactly duplicate any one particular version of the Ambassador, and it does feel a little too derivative as it stands right now. If I ever get around to finishing this thing I'll probably go back and create a more unique variant:)

2. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very nice! :techman: Always loved the more streamlined Probert look!

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

looks good but those nacelles remind me of a design i think from STO

4. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I hope when they get up to Yesterday's Enterprise in the TNG Blurays that they put in a CGI version of this ship.

5. The Librarian

The Librarian Commodore Commodore

Cool, I'm a big fan of this ship. Given the name - USS Sovereign - is this intended to be an interpretation of a post-Galaxy rather than pre-Galaxy ship?

6. Today

Thanks everyone.

Regarding the nacelles, I'm actually stuck on those right now. I've remodeled them completely several times now, and I'm still not really happy with them. They're detracting from the overall streamlined-ness of the concept. I may wind up throwing on some more Galaxy-class looking nacelles on and see how that looks.

As far as the name, basically it sounded cool. It is still meant to be older than the Galaxy, essentially only slightly ahead of the canonical Ambassador Class.. but since it does also contain a few Enterprise-E-ish details I figured maybe it was a precursor to the 'USS Sovereign' for which the class was named. Since they'd be separated by about 30 to 40 years so it seems reasonable that you could have more than one "USS Sovereign" in that time. Though I may wind up renaming it before I get around to stenciling in the registry.

7. The Librarian

The Librarian Commodore Commodore

Cool. One bit of criticism I have is the main shuttlebay doors. It doesn't look like the bottoms of the panels are on a level plane like they should be, and it's hard to see how they would open up with such different sizes. You might consider leveling out an area right behind it to make it more feasible.

8. lewisniven

lewisniven Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The nacelles are definately the sticking point. The ship definitely looks half way between ambassador and galaxy class so I'd go with galaxy-esque nacelles, maybe with some constitution (WoK) style details to tie it back a bit.

9. John Mason

John Mason Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

cool job dude

one would elongate the saucer section...
    nice design on the stardrive... :bolian:

10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That layered saucer is very good. I'd like to se more versions of that saucer.

11. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They better not

12. Today

Giving the current nacelles a chance to grow on me:bolian:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Didn't really feel like doing any modeling this weekend:techman:

13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I think you need to lower the intensity of your lights on the ship. Go for more of a glow like the impulse crystal.

14. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks good but the front of the nacelles still doesnt impress IMHO