WOLVERINE director search down to 8

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, May 26, 2011.

1. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, I think they'll reference how he became Wolverine (i.e., the Weapon X project), but I can't think of anything else from the movie that needs to be referenced even if they had no strong feelings one way or the other.

2. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's something like 40 years between the events of the two Wolverine movies. Can't see any real reason to reference the first since The Wolverine is not a direct sequel.

3. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

X-Men Origins: Wolverine was just saddled with problems. It went over-budget, over-schedule, and director Gavin Hood (who had no prior experience directing a big-budget movie) butted heads with 20th Century Fox exec Tom Rothman a lot during filming. For example, Hood would give direction, and then allegedly Rothman would circumvent Hood, creating problems on set.

According to rumors, Richard Donner (director of Superman: The Movie and husband of producer Lauren Shuler-Donner, who produces all the X-Men films) was called in to direct a pivotal action sequence because Hood apparently lacked the proper experience to do that sequence justice. I'm not sure if that's true or not, but that's what I heard.

EDIT: From Wikipedia, which is admittedly not the most reliable of sources, but I've heard this story in other places before.

Gavin Hood is a very good director as has been stated before. Hood's films Tsotsi and Rendition received good reviews. However, not every director can seamlessly transition to mainstream films. I think in order to do that you need a supportive studio backing you and 20th Century Fox is known for meddling in affairs of other filmmakers. Bryan Singer had a very difficult time making the first two X-Men movies which is why he left X-Men: The Last Stand to direct Superman Returns. However, I think after the poor reception to both X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Fox and Rothman realized their mistakes and have since changed their ways. Or so I hope.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah Fox interfered a great deal during that production which hampered Hood and only added to the film's problems. Weapon X was already established in "X2: X-Men United" and "X-Men" in the first place along with flashbacks, so they could very well ignore the sequence shown in Origins if they wanted to and just be vague again.

5. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

And if we end up with a suddenly repowered Rogue in DOFP... :alienblush:

Yeah, it won't be too shocking if The Wolverine fails to mention Victor and Kayla.

6. TremblingBluStar

TremblingBluStar Vice Admiral Admiral

Not that much more ($33 million vs. $18). You have to keep in mind that ST-V also had a returning cast that were expecting larger and larger paychecks per film, and an inexperienced director who clearly didn't have the knack for film making or working with special effects. Top it off with the production issues and delays, and I can easily see the budget getting out of control.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

New trailer looks promising. Reminds me of the old school Wolverine comics I read so many years ago with the bars and Japan and so on.

8. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I want to thank you for claryfying. I think I mistyped when I compared the budgets, but I want to thank you for saying what I meant to say.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Delete the "www.trekbbs.com" part. It redirects back to the forum front page

EDIT- Nevermind. It was a Firefox script running. Turned the "Forbid Scripts" back on

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

14. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd heard of this...sounds good to me. At the least if The Wolverine underperforms that scene alone might make those who passed curious enough to check it out later on DVD then see DOFP. The latter really needs to be a hit.

15. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

So I haven't read the entire thread...did they find a director? :p

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

17. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Excellently looking...and looks like (yes I'll finally admit this lol) that they're not totally ignoring Origins. This is going to be fantastic.

18. Captain Craig

So now in some way, big or small, all the X-Films to date have relevancy to each other.

Fox is going to market and sell that big box set of Limited Edition Collector X-Men Saga Blu Rays.
    They aren't totally idiots.

19. Xavier_Storma

Xavier_Storma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Awesome. Especially the beginning. My number 1 summer movie of 2013. Cannot wait.

20. Captain Craig

Entertainment Weekly just helped out the Fox Marketing Dept.

[​IMG]

I know they did a MoS cover about 2mo ago but seeing as how Warners owns EW this is big for The Wolverine under the tag, "Your Summer MUST List!"

Hopefully this does bring the awareness campaign up on this film.